Traffic stop goes bad. What can we learn from it?

This is a discussion on Traffic stop goes bad. What can we learn from it? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Harryball A first-rate man with a third-rate gun is far more effective, in every practical sense, than the other way around. This ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Traffic stop goes bad. What can we learn from it?

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    A first-rate man with a third-rate gun is far more effective, in every practical sense, than the other way around. This says a lot...

I think our BG was as you said trained. The only thing I can recommend is to be the first rate man, it is you only chance at survival....

Edit To add: This might be a good time to discuss mindset, and what type of bad guy you might be. The violence displayed by the BG was greater than that of the Police officer. So if we can get into the mind of the criminal and understand the violence, we may be able to defend against it, and maybe even harness some of that rage when necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    We both know that on any given day a BG can end us. That being said, I have put in a lot of time training and preparing for someone like this. I think Im up for the challenge. This is a fight for life, his and mine, I would bring the fight to him. Whether I survive or not, Im not sure, but there would be a fight.....
    Here's where MINDSET comes into play...Fighting is 95% mental and 5% physical...NEVER GIVE UP. You are going to die sometime, you can't stop it from happening, however, you have some control over how it happens and when it happens. Knowing this separates you from the rest of the population.

You must understand AND APPLY Jeff Coopers Principles of Personal Defense... 1. Alertness - See trouible before it gets to you. 2. Decisiveness - Pick a course of action and DO IT! Normally your first instinct is correct. DO SOMETHING! 3. Aggressiveness - He started it, you finish it. 4. Speed - The best fight is over before the BG thinks it started. Don't wait. If you think you are under attack, YOU ARE!. 5. Coolness - Keep your head under pressure. 6. Ruthlessness - The only unfair fight is the one YOU LOSE. 7. Surprise - Do the unexpected...FIGHT!!!

And, You must control your fear. Admit you are afraid and move on. Only fools are fearless. Don't consider failure, think only about victory. Focus on the mechanics of gettting the job done. Use FEAR as your motivator.

While you are learning to master MINDSET, you now have to concentrate on improving your TACTICS and the SKILL which you need to be the SURVIVOR. TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN SOME MORE...

JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Yes one option was to run him down if given the opprotunity but my question is/was how would you react when facing someone like this?

This is the type guy who is your worst nightmare, would you be up to the challenge?

My first reaction from the moment I saw the film was to hit the bad guy. He looks like he's got the draw on me and has already decided to shoot me, I'm hitting him with the 2 ton weapon.

As far as up to to the challenge, how do you know till it happens?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links