My first IDPA match- Range Report

This is a discussion on My first IDPA match- Range Report within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today I participated in my first shooting match of any kind. An IDPA match in Dunn, NC. I used my Glock 30sf. I started with ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: My first IDPA match- Range Report

My first IDPA match- Range Report

Today I participated in my first shooting match of any kind.
    An IDPA match in Dunn, NC. I used my Glock 30sf. I started with a nine round magazine, and used my ten rounder's for reloading. It had six stages, and one of those was a blind stage, you didn't get to look at it before you shot. I don't know if six stages is the norm, but it was enough for me.

Things I learned and observations.
    First thing I learned? I had a BLAST!! If you haven't shot an IDPA match with your carry weapon, you should try it once, at least. You'll learn where your weakness' are, and then can work on correcting them. It is only your life or your families life you might be protecting if something "bad" occurs.

Second thing: Pack everything the night before. I forgot my camera and extra shirt. The two things I didn't pack. So no pictures and I had to wear my sweaty t-shirt on the ride home.

Third: Dry fire practice helps, but range time is good also -- IDPA even better.
    I have been dry fire practicing everyday for the last few months, and that helped with drawing my weapon from my Remora holster. Now keeping my eye on the front sight? Easy when dry firing at home, extremely hard when on the range, buzzer goes off, and its time to stop bad guys. I need to practice my trigger reset, I was releasing the trigger too far, and that didn't help with staying on target.
    I also need to work on magazine reloads, I was slow. The Remora magazine pouch is too deep for my ten round magazines, I need something different, or I need to put paper/tissue in the bottom of the pouch to bring up the magazine.
    I had one failure to feed, but I think that was the old ammo I was using, I hope.

4th: I appreciate my G30sf even more. Conceals fine under my t-shirt and shirt with my Remora holster. I carried it in the heat and humidity from 8:30 to 1:30. Sweat all over it, sweaty hands, sweaty shirts, eyes, pants, you name it, it had sweat on it. Luckily it's a Glock, sweat doesn't hurt it, just uses the sweat as lube. The first stage had a steel popper that had to be engaged to activate another target, my .45 knocked it down easy, some pistols had to ding it more then once. I don't know if they hit it to low, or it didn't have enough "umph", but my first shot knocked it back. The second time a steel popper popped up I missed it four times(maybe five), I was going too fast, didn't take my time.

5: A .357 Sig is loud! You know when one of those is firing.

VI: It is hard to watch your front sight and the target. Tunnel vision happens. One stage had a bad guy with a bullet resistant vest, body shots didn't count, had to be a head shot. I didn't notice the body armor, the safety officer told me.

G: The safety officer did a great job, kept me straight, didn't let me shoot my foot.

#8: I need more practice. I need a lot of practice. More dry fire at home, more static range time to practice trigger reset, magazine reloads, I want to shoot some more IDPA. I don't think I'll make it every month, but maybe every other month. Yes .45acp cost more then other ammo, but I'll worry about that later. You need 100-150 rounds to shoot, with the range fee, and rounding up a few bucks, lets say $90.00. So $45 bucks a month to invest in training/fun that will help in keeping me alive. That would give me six times a year to shoot IDPA. We'll see. Moving and shooting is hard. Moving, shooting, staying behind cover and having to reload is even harder, but I'd rather practice at the range then try to figure it out when bad guys are shooting at me.

Thanks for reading my drivel.
    Sejune, PTAaron, beararms and 1 others like this.
    --Jason--

2. Remove Ads

Awesome!
    Fun? Oh yeah! Match? G30SF? Hope you got a chance to pick up your spent brass.
    Mag reloads? You'll count next time out.
    I got into IPSC instead of IDPA mainly due to my work schedule. However......most matches will provide you with good experience, external and internal feedback, and a momentum to go on improving yourself.
    Practice helps a lot, and you can do this without expending any ammo. Just remember that matches are mainly competitive in nature. You need to take away a good experience and not worry about scores. You'll either eat it up, or it could eat you up. Stay involved........keep feeling like a newbie and excited about it. The day you come home disappointed is the day you'll have another decision to make.
    darbo, swiftyjuan and tacman605 like this.

Keep at it. IDPA is addictive

PTAaron likes this.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Good for you keep at it. Like RamRod said go for the training you get out of it not the game. Don't worry about winning go to learn how to run your weapon better.
    clan.des.tin likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I just had my monthly club IDPA match today. I have both my Kimber .45's at the gunsmith for XS Big Dot sights so, I was reduced to using my Baby Glock 26. As you mentioned, many times a 9mm is not powerful enough to drop the steel popper, but fortunately today, they all went down for everyone.

Here's what I need to practice on badly, and it's killing my score, especially today with three stages with poppers. They flash up and by so quick I'm getting use to my ten points down for "failure to neutralize".

Look around your area for an IDPA regional match and sign up. That's usually brings some well know personalities of the sport to the shoot and it's a double blast.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Distinguished Member
    Nice! Congrats man. Can't wait to get out to one of those one of these days. Sounds like you had fun and learned alot.
    I think I'll have to go just watch one before I'll jump in one. Need to find a buddy to go to one.

Bubbiesdad - Nice video man.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Shooting action matches - IDPA, IPSC, USPSA - is fun and addicting. That's what pushed me over the edge to start reloading, so I can afford to shoot even weekly, if I choose. There's a lingering temptation to leap into the "game" side of it with race guns and competition equipment, but so far I prefer to keep it "real" with a street-style holster and full-power reloads. A great bunch of people, too... even bump into Rob Leatham occasionally, and he's just "one of the guys."
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Glad you enjoyed it, IDPA is a blast! Don't worry about winning, or speed to begin with. I'm relatively new to IDPA, been shooting it since last Feb. My advice is to focus first on safety, things like muzzle direction, finger off trigger while moving, safe mag changes, then accuracy, and then speed. I have some physical issues that will always hamper me a bit on speed, so I'm concentrating mostly on accuracy. I'm consistently among the top shooters in fewest points down, but will now begin working on speed some more. One of the older and wiser shooters at our matches told me speed is fine, but accuracy is finer!

You will need better mag pouches. There's a guy in Alabama that makes them, and they are at least as good if not better than any others I've seen. They're kydex, about $15 and clip over your belt and pants. He makes them to fit a specific magazine. He doesn't have a website, but you can contact him by e-mail. mastertac1@gmail.com, name is Bill.

Be safe, have fun! In the process your skills will develop.
    Last edited by BamaT; August 12th, 2012 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Clarity
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by BamaT View Post
    My advice is to focus first on safety, things like muzzle direction, finger off trigger while moving, safe mag changes, then accuracy, and then speed.

One of the older and wiser shooters at our matches told me speed is fine, but accuracy is finer!
    IOW: slow is fast.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Nice! Congrats man. Can't wait to get out to one of those one of these days. Sounds like you had fun and learned alot.
    I think I'll have to go just watch one before I'll jump in one. Need to find a buddy to go to one.

Bubbiesdad - Nice video man.
    My shooting and camera work are improving. Not bad for $55 camera zip tied to a $10 pair of safety glasses. I was impressed with the audio and video quality with the camera.
    I've got a USPSA match this weekend. More video to come.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Awesome!
    Fun? Oh yeah! Match? G30SF? Hope you got a chance to pick up your spent brass.
    Mag reloads? You'll count next time out.
    I got into IPSC instead of IDPA mainly due to my work schedule. However......most matches will provide you with good experience, external and internal feedback, and a momentum to go on improving yourself.
    Practice helps a lot, and you can do this without expending any ammo. Just remember that matches are mainly competitive in nature. You need to take away a good experience and not worry about scores. You'll either eat it up, or it could eat you up. Stay involved........keep feeling like a newbie and excited about it. The day you come home disappointed is the day you'll have another decision to make.
    I didn't get my brass, I rode with somebody and they were ready to leave. We would have waited awhile before we could start picking it up. I found one ammo website that you can mail in your old brass and get credit to buy ammo.
    It will be a long time before I worry about scores. I just want to improve my meager abilities to be more proficient "in case of emergency". I'm 44 and my health is not 100%, so my days of running and gunning are behind me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Keep at it. IDPA is addictive
    Yes it is. I already want to go again.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Good for you keep at it. Like RamRod said go for the training you get out of it not the game. Don't worry about winning go to learn how to run your weapon better.
    That's the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    I just had my monthly club IDPA match today. I have both my Kimber .45's at the gunsmith for XS Big Dot sights so, I was reduced to using my Baby Glock 26. As you mentioned, many times a 9mm is not powerful enough to drop the steel popper, but fortunately today, they all went down for everyone.

Here's what I need to practice on badly, and it's killing my score, especially today with three stages with poppers. They flash up and by so quick I'm getting use to my ten points down for "failure to neutralize".

Look around your area for an IDPA regional match and sign up. That's usually brings some well know personalities of the sport to the shoot and it's a double blast.
    Here is a video somebody filmed showing a few stages:
    Steve at H2O Fowl Farms 8-11-2012 - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Shooting action matches - IDPA, IPSC, USPSA - is fun and addicting. That's what pushed me over the edge to start reloading, so I can afford to shoot even weekly, if I choose. There's a lingering temptation to leap into the "game" side of it with race guns and competition equipment, but so far I prefer to keep it "real" with a street-style holster and full-power reloads. A great bunch of people, too... even bump into Rob Leatham occasionally, and he's just "one of the guys."
    I want to keep it "real" also. I wore the same t-shirt and cover shirt I would wear to the store. It took a second longer to clear both garments, but its "real". I only used a single magazine holster, because that is what I would wear on the street, my second magazine I had to keep in a pocket. That added a few seconds to grab, but practice should decrease my reload time.

I am thinking about reloading also. A single stage press, an aftermarket barrel, and then I can shoot lead reloads. We'll see.
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    My shooting and camera work are improving. Not bad for $55 camera zip tied to a $10 pair of safety glasses. I was impressed with the audio and video quality with the camera.
    I've got a USPSA match this weekend. More video to come.
    Got any information on the camera? Looks like something I might be interested in.

@Blades... Great that you got to participate in that. I have watched a match but have as yet not participated. Looks to be great fun and a learning experience.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    I didn't get my brass, I rode with somebody and they were ready to leave. We would have waited awhile before we could start picking it up. I found one ammo website that you can mail in your old brass and get credit to buy ammo.
    It will be a long time before I worry about scores. I just want to improve my meager abilities to be more proficient "in case of emergency". I'm 44 and my health is not 100%, so my days of running and gunning are behind me.

Yes it is. I already want to go again.

That's the plan.

Here is a video somebody filmed showing a few stages:
    Steve at H2O Fowl Farms 8-11-2012 - YouTube

I want to keep it "real" also. I wore the same t-shirt and cover shirt I would wear to the store. It took a second longer to clear both garments, but its "real". I only used a single magazine holster, because that is what I would wear on the street, my second magazine I had to keep in a pocket. That added a few seconds to grab, but practice should decrease my reload time.

I am thinking about reloading also. A single stage press, an aftermarket barrel, and then I can shoot lead reloads. We'll see.

I'm 53, the only time I'm running is if my life is in danger.
    Richard M Nixon
    Jeff Cooper

Now that you are a match shooter, dry ire means something different. Set your timer or what you think you can draw in. Then draw on a target and dry ire. The sights must be in the -0 zone when the shot breaks or it desn't count. Youmyst break the shot beore the par time sounds or it doesn't count.

Next, reloads. Cock the gun. On the start, reload it. When finished loading dry fire. The sights must bein the -0 one and you must beat the par time beep or it doesn't count.
    Next? Get Andeson's book on dryfire practice/ Invaliable. Also get Saul Kisch' book on Perfect practice.

Good luck, have a great time. I am an IDPA Master class shooter, and dry fire is 80 to 90 percent o my practice. It works!

Dan
    beararms likes this.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    IOW: slow is fast.
    Another wise old sage told me early on "you can't miss fast enough to win."
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links