Snap caps brands - good and bad?

This is a discussion on Snap caps brands - good and bad? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've resisted using snap caps for some time but finally realized I'll save money training with them. Is there much of a difference among brands ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rammerjammer

Thread: Snap caps brands - good and bad?

I've resisted using snap caps for some time but finally realized I'll save money training with them. Is there much of a difference among brands like A-Zoom and Pachmayr and Tipton? Please advise.

Thanks, TK

Distinguished Member Array miller_man's Avatar
    I've got some Azoom snap caps and some tipton ones. I like the tipton ones just cause they're bright orange and ALOT eaier to find when they find their way to the floor and such. The azoom ones hit the floor and dissapear, lol. I haven't really seen any difference other than that for me. If I buy more it'll deff be the tipton ones, just my $0.02
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

I think they all pretty much serve their purpose. Like miller-man said, I prefer any that are bright colors, both for when they fly under the couch, and so they're easy to identify as not being live ammo.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    If you do range-practice (malfunction drills, ball-and-dummy drills) with your snap-caps/dummy-bullets, the brighter/more easily seen, the better.

That's not just in grassy fields, either - sure, a bright-orange polymer-tipped brass dummy-bullet may look great, but if you're out in a sandy/rocky range, depending on how the dummy falls, you might not be able to readily visualize the difference between your dummy rounds and spent casings. A full-length polymer one in bright orange will be much harder to miss.

I really like the A-Zoom snap-caps for dry-fire practice, especially as they've got some weight to them (but this gain is truly fractional - unless you're talking about those A-Zoom shotgun shell snap-caps, those are *heavy*, and will rival any custom-made dummy-bullet loads), however, consider where you're practicing: if your living room has nice hardwood floors or a glass coffee-table nearby, you might want to go with a lightweight completely polymer dummy-bullet, instead.

I prefer Azoom snap caps
    GrandZJ likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Snap caps: here's guru's look at them... I have used tipon snap caps for on reason I can see inside and see if they are broken and they are easy to see when I do a safety check before snapping.
    second the don'ts of snap caps....don't load more than 5 at a time in a mag; too much pressure on the cap pushing up and it tare’s up the cap when pushing against the lips of the mag. remember the lips are steel and the snap cap is brass so guess what gives first?
    I use snap caps with a laserlyte trainer so I can see where the shots will hit. Drawing from a holster or from the bed; the combo is a hard thing to beat and you will improve.
    If you use a laserlyte it eats batteries; you can get some on EBay...100 batteries for 4.00 for you don't have to strip it down to shut it off and save battery life.

Just for the record I have mine on me now and almost all the time and constantly train because you never know?
    Last edited by barstoolguru; August 19th, 2012 at 02:03 AM.

Sponsored Links