Review: Suarez Int. Defensive Pistol Skills w/Randy Harris

This is a discussion on Review: Suarez Int. Defensive Pistol Skills w/Randy Harris within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This weekend I took Defensive Pistol Skills with Randy Harris in Chattanooga. I have been around guns my whole life, I'm a country boy, but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Review: Suarez Int. Defensive Pistol Skills w/Randy Harris

This weekend I took Defensive Pistol Skills with Randy Harris in Chattanooga. I have been around guns my whole life, I'm a country boy, but this was my first real training.

First thing, this class was listed as a Chattanooga class, which is Eastern Time, but the class was actually held in Alabama, which is Central Time. I showed up the first day about an hour and a half early because I was thinking eastern time. The class was clearly listed in CST on the website. So that is my bad, better early than late.

Ok, so the actual class: First thing after signing waivers and going over safety rules we spent a while discussing mindset, and Randy's PESTS EAT FAST(which can be found via google), and we went over the 3 stupids. Then we all showed clear chambers and mags and did some dry work, Randy showing us the techniques we would need for the weekend and we spent until lunch working dry practice.

After lunch we went to the range and started working on putting our dry practice to work with live fire. We started with slow, all the time you need to get it done right shots on a 3" circle from ~4-5 yards away. Randy showed us that with a proper grip and draw stroke you don't have to get a perfect sight picture to get good shots if your are up close. After some more drills(including variations of a "dot" drill and "ball and dummy") we got to take turns shooting at a COM size steel target from ~5 yards back to about ~25 yards. Randy explained that starting with the 3" circle gets you used to hitting more accurate, consistent shots than starting out shooting a full size COM target.

After we were done the first day we all pitched in and got pizza and I took the opportunity to pester Randy with all sorts of questions about guns/defensive related topics. It's not everyday that you get to hang out with a SI Instructor with the amount of knowledge Randy has about this stuff, and I took full advantage of that.

The second day started with a sit down discussion including review from the first day and Randy read several excerpts from various articles, studies, and newspaper stories, and shared some of his own experiences. Then we went to the range and did a few of the drills from the first day to get warmed up then we went to the realistic looking "70s mustache guy" target. This is where we started speeding our shots up, shooting with or without actual sight alignment depending on how close or far we where from the target. We also included a simple single step left or right get off the X as part of our draw, and started doing after shot assessment as part of every shot string. After doing the "scan for other people that need shot" several times Randy noticed everybody not really paying attention, just turning our heads but not really looking. After one drill he asked, "what did I just have in my hand when y'all turned your head to scan?" After getting blank stares he drew his knife again and told us we all just died. Everybody actually scanned after that. At the end of the day after a few more drills(including a multiple adversary drill) we got to try out the steel target again, back to about 40 yards this time. Everybody showed a marked improvement over the previous day. Then Randy broke out his RMR'd 17 and everybody got to try it out.

Overall I was really happy with the class. I had a blast and came out shooting much better than I went in. I used my EDC 2nd gen Glock 17 in a Dale Fricke Archangel holster worn at 12:00 for the class. I did not shoot myself in the femoral artery or blow my junk off. Suarez teaches a "reluctant reholster" and emphasized that there is never really a time where you would need to reholster fast, so you can take plenty of time for that part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QKShooter likes this.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Very nice review, glad you enjoyed it and learned a few things. One of these days I might take a course like that too.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

Congrats!
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Yes, very nice review, thanks!
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Distinguished Member
    Nice review. I considered going to that class but didn't :( Sounds like a great time and you learned a lot. I've got to make myself go to the next one. So you really didn't shoot your femoral artery, lol. So sick of hearing that crap.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Thanks for the great review.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Thanks for the report

SI is on my to do list

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Nice review, congrats on taking the class....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Good stuff. Thanks for posting.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

I have taken 3 courses from Randy at the Alabama Farm Range. First class teaching and instruction. I am doing an Alumni Course next month there and that will be a great refresher. Do check the listings for Alumni Courses on Warrior Talk to see when they come up.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Owning, carrying & knowing how to shoot your handgun is a l-o-n-g way from being ready for a gunfight. Congrats for being smart enough to put your money where it matters. Practice without training is little more than rehearsal for our own bad-habits. Thanks for the review.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    I have taken 3 courses from Randy at the Alabama Farm Range. First class teaching and instruction. I am doing an Alumni Course next month there and that will be a great refresher. Do check the listings for Alumni Courses on Warrior Talk to see when they come up.
    I should be at the one on the 23rd. The regional training groups are another of the reasons why I chose SI. $50 for 5 hours of training/refresher a few times a year is a great deal.

Thanks for the comments everybody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

sgb
    Randy Harris is a knowledgeable and well respected Instructor.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I'm thinking of signing up for the Sept,29-30, 2012, Close Range Gunfighting with Randy Harris in Jacksonville, AL. I'm liking what I read here about Randy Harris.

I'm trying to decide whether to go for a second time to Tiger McKee's Shootrite Firearms Academy for his 2 day Defensive Handgun course or take this course with Randy Harris. I've read many times that it is good to get different perspectives on firearms training. I highly recommend Tiger McKee.
    "We Dare Defend Our Rights", Alabama State Motto...

OD*
    Excellent review.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links