Defensive Carry banner

Review: Suarez Int. Defensive Pistol Skills w/Randy Harris

3K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  Cruel Hand Luke 
#1 ·
This weekend I took Defensive Pistol Skills with Randy Harris in Chattanooga. I have been around guns my whole life, I'm a country boy, but this was my first real training.

First thing, this class was listed as a Chattanooga class, which is Eastern Time, but the class was actually held in Alabama, which is Central Time. I showed up the first day about an hour and a half early because I was thinking eastern time. The class was clearly listed in CST on the website. So that is my bad, better early than late.

Ok, so the actual class: First thing after signing waivers and going over safety rules we spent a while discussing mindset, and Randy's PESTS EAT FAST(which can be found via google), and we went over the 3 stupids. Then we all showed clear chambers and mags and did some dry work, Randy showing us the techniques we would need for the weekend and we spent until lunch working dry practice.

After lunch we went to the range and started working on putting our dry practice to work with live fire. We started with slow, all the time you need to get it done right shots on a 3" circle from ~4-5 yards away. Randy showed us that with a proper grip and draw stroke you don't have to get a perfect sight picture to get good shots if your are up close. After some more drills(including variations of a "dot" drill and "ball and dummy") we got to take turns shooting at a COM size steel target from ~5 yards back to about ~25 yards. Randy explained that starting with the 3" circle gets you used to hitting more accurate, consistent shots than starting out shooting a full size COM target.

After we were done the first day we all pitched in and got pizza and I took the opportunity to pester Randy with all sorts of questions about guns/defensive related topics. It's not everyday that you get to hang out with a SI Instructor with the amount of knowledge Randy has about this stuff, and I took full advantage of that.

The second day started with a sit down discussion including review from the first day and Randy read several excerpts from various articles, studies, and newspaper stories, and shared some of his own experiences. Then we went to the range and did a few of the drills from the first day to get warmed up then we went to the realistic looking "70s mustache guy" target. This is where we started speeding our shots up, shooting with or without actual sight alignment depending on how close or far we where from the target. We also included a simple single step left or right get off the X as part of our draw, and started doing after shot assessment as part of every shot string. After doing the "scan for other people that need shot" several times Randy noticed everybody not really paying attention, just turning our heads but not really looking. After one drill he asked, "what did I just have in my hand when y'all turned your head to scan?" After getting blank stares he drew his knife again and told us we all just died. Everybody actually scanned after that. At the end of the day after a few more drills(including a multiple adversary drill) we got to try out the steel target again, back to about 40 yards this time. Everybody showed a marked improvement over the previous day. Then Randy broke out his RMR'd 17 and everybody got to try it out.

Overall I was really happy with the class. I had a blast and came out shooting much better than I went in. I used my EDC 2nd gen Glock 17 in a Dale Fricke Archangel holster worn at 12:00 for the class. I did not shoot myself in the femoral artery or blow my junk off. Suarez teaches a "reluctant reholster" and emphasized that there is never really a time where you would need to reholster fast, so you can take plenty of time for that part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#5 ·
Nice review. I considered going to that class but didn't :( Sounds like a great time and you learned a lot. I've got to make myself go to the next one. So you really didn't shoot your femoral artery, lol. So sick of hearing that crap.

#7 ·
Thanks for the report :hand10:

SI is on my to do list :yup:

Sent from my Galaxy S2

#8 ·
Nice review, congrats on taking the class....

#10 ·
I have taken 3 courses from Randy at the Alabama Farm Range. First class teaching and instruction. I am doing an Alumni Course next month there and that will be a great refresher. Do check the listings for Alumni Courses on Warrior Talk to see when they come up.

#11 ·
Owning, carrying & knowing how to shoot your handgun is a l-o-n-g way from being ready for a gunfight. Congrats for being smart enough to put your money where it matters. Practice without training is little more than rehearsal for our own bad-habits. Thanks for the review.

#14 ·
I'm thinking of signing up for the Sept,29-30, 2012, Close Range Gunfighting with Randy Harris in Jacksonville, AL. I'm liking what I read here about Randy Harris.

I'm trying to decide whether to go for a second time to Tiger McKee's Shootrite Firearms Academy for his 2 day Defensive Handgun course or take this course with Randy Harris. I've read many times that it is good to get different perspectives on firearms training. I highly recommend Tiger McKee.

#17 ·
Thanks for the kind words. I do my best to impart the knowledge and skill that helps good people get home safe.

For those interested I have several classes still to go this year......

Sep 1-2 Advanced AK Rifle Gunfighting Atlanta Ga September 1-2, 2012 - Advanced Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting - Atlanta, GA

Sep 14 Advanced Combat Pistol Marksmanship Chattanooga September 14, 2012 - Advanced Combat Pistol Marksmanship - Chattanooga, TN

Sep 15 Vehicle Gunfighting Fundamentals Chattanooga Tn September 15, 2012 - Vehicle Gunfighting Fundamentals - Chattanooga, TN

Sep 16 Team Tactics Fundamentals Chattanooga Tn September 16, 2012 - Team Tactics Fundamentals - Chattanooga, TN

There is a discount on these if taking more than just 1 day. 1 Day-$225 2 Days-$400 3 days-$600

Sep 29-30 Close Range Gunfighting Jacksonville Al September 29-30, 2012 - Close Range Gunfighting - Jacksonville, AL

(special deal on this one if combined with the Terror/Active Shooter class-save $200!!!!!!!!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Oct 19 -20 (Friday and Saturday night) Low Light Gunfighting Rochester Indiana October 19-20, 2012 - Low Light Gunfighting - Rochester, IN

Oct 20-21 Fundamentals of H2H Combatives
(4 hours each Saturday and Sunday) October 20-21, 2012 Fundamentals of H2H Combatives, Rochester, IN SPECIAL COMBO CLASS DEAL BOTH FOR $600

Oct 27-28 Terrorist/Active Shooter Chattanooga Tn October 27-28, 2012 - Terrorist/Active Shooter Interdiction - Chattanooga, TN (Save $100 if you also take the CRG class in Jacksonville Alabama Sept 29-30)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Nov 9-10 (Fri and Sat night) Low Light Gunfighting Atlanta Ga November 9-10, 2012 - Low Light Gunfighting - Atlanta, GA

Nov 10-11 Fundamentals of H2H Combatives Atlanta Ga
(4 hours each Sat and Sunday) November 10-11, 2012 - Fundamentals of H2H Combatives - Atlanta, GA SPECIAL COMBO CLASS DEAL BOTH FOR $600

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.