Yeager video on carrying with an empty chamber - Page 4

Yeager video on carrying with an empty chamber

This is a discussion on Yeager video on carrying with an empty chamber within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When people screw up with a loaded chamber, people can get hurt or killed. And when people say they are just as fast or safer ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: Yeager video on carrying with an empty chamber

VIP Member
    When people screw up with a loaded chamber, people can get hurt or killed.

And when people say they are just as fast or safer when carrying with an empty chamber are ussually the ones that do not have the training or confidence to carry with a hot weapon. They are also the ones that end up dead but your life, your choice.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by 3wggl View Post
    How is my gun no better than a hammer? I can turn it into a lethal self defense tool in less than 2 seconds. Carrying in C1 would still take me just under 2 second to have ready. Very little difference.
    When you pull your weapon out and try and rack the slide and it jams, autos do jam you know, you would have been better off hitting the BG over the head with a hammer. You did take into consideration that the gun may not cycle properly, Right?
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    I feel the Swedish dictionary is going to have to be brought out. It seems to be going that way.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    And when people say they are just as fast or safer when carrying with an empty chamber are ussually the ones that do not have the training or confidence to carry with a hot weapon. They are also the ones that end up dead but your life, your choice.
    Care to provide articles supporting that statement? I do wish we had more data or stories that suggest C3 typically ends badly for the good guy. All I seem to catch wind of are people having ND's and hurting or killing innocents.

I don't care how anyone else carries unless it's a family member with me or one of my brothers in arms while deployed in combat (regardless of weapon type). I will always carry a full magazine, round chambered, with no safety. When milliseconds count I'll take every advantage available.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    When you pull your weapon out and try and rack the slide and it jams, autos do jam you know, you would have been better off hitting the BG over the head with a hammer. You did take into consideration that the gun may not cycle properly, Right?
    Of course, that is a risk but I've never had trouble cycling the weapon before. Stress can cause issues I know but knowing a failure to feed could be life threatening to me means I'll be damned sure I give a full rack on that slide. Training helps...muscle memory would hopefully be sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    The gun being chambered is not the sole cause to any of these scenarios, it is just one of a long list of things that allowed each of these to happen. Yes, THE GUN WILL NOT GO OFF IN C3. That is something we agree on. Where we disagree is the viewpoint of if that is a good thing or not. You say yes, because you can rack the slide in 1.283940589 seconds, in the shape you are in now. I say no, because it is not ready to go, and realize that things happens that could cause you to not even to be able to rack the slide in the event you needed your firearm. What if someone opened fire on you and the first shot or two immobilized your off hand?
    Although I need to improve, I can operate my carry pistol with one hand. I would for sure be in a tough spot though in your scenario. Fortunately, a SD scenario doesn't always begin with being wounded in your off hand.

Again, I'm not saying C3 is the only way to carry. I just think C3 has its merits and the fact it removes any chance of a ND that kills/injures an innocent is a major positive...a deciding factor for me.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Bam, I'll take it. How you carry is best for you and what makes you comfortable.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Of course, that is a risk but I've never had trouble cycling the weapon before. Stress can cause issues I know but knowing a failure to feed could be life threatening to me means I'll be damned sure I give a full rack on that slide. Training helps...muscle memory would hopefully be sufficient.
    You are just wasting time, trying to get your weapon ready for a fight. A fight that will probably have you behind the 8 ball anyways. To limit yourself like this for the sake of not having an ND IMO is silly and could get you or someone you love hurt. You have a false sense of security with your weapon in C3. You talk about some scenarios it will work in and in others it will be more difficult. Im sorry we do not train for some of the time, we do not carry for only one type scenario, we train and carry so that we can be ready for SHTF moment. Not every scenario is covered, but training will allow you to adapt to what needs to be done. All you are doing is adding extra steps into an already crappy situation. I hope and pray that you never have to find out what its like. Good luck and stay safe..
    DontTreadOnI and jumpwing like this.

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Care to provide articles supporting that statement?

LOL well it is after midnight here so I am not going to start searching as to whether there is or not, it was a simple statement but I will provide you with this.

Me three yards, from the holster, 1.25 seconds, two rounds on the target. You, three yards, from the holster, chamber a round, hoping you do not shortstroke it or it malfunctions, and fire, under stress let's say on a good day 1.75 seconds. Ummmmmm let's see, subtract that, carry the one, you lose every single time.
    Armed with an impact weapon you can be struck and or disabled before you can draw your weapon at the same distance or further. Someone who knows what they are doing with a knife will fatally stab/slash you before you are able to draw and chamber a round much less fire it.

Yes given enough space you will have time to draw, chamber and fire but as has been demonstrated in the Tueller Drills that distance would have to be greater than 7 yards and that is using a locked and loaded weapon. Yes not carrying a round in the chamber will prevent ND/AD's and sitting in my living room is safer than riding my Harley so your point is....again your life, your choice.
    Harryball and First Sgt like this.

Have to say I really never gave it a second thought. I want the gun ready when I need to use it. I don't want to be in a situation where I need to use it and I have to worry about making it ready. BUT better to have a gun without one in than have no gun at all.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Senior Moderator
    I just think C3 has its merits and the fact it removes any chance of a ND that kills/injures an innocent is a major positive...a deciding factor for me.
    My brain removes the chance of a ND, the basic rules of gun safety removes the chance of a ND, keeping my finger off of the trigger until I am ready to fire prevents an ND. These are the methods that I use and I carry a round in the chamber and do not fear a ND.

If you do not wish to carry a round in the chamber that is your choice
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Care to provide articles supporting that statement?

LOL well it is after midnight here so I am not going to start searching as to whether there is or not, it was a simple statement but I will provide you with this.

Me three yards, from the holster, 1.25 seconds, two rounds on the target. You, three yards, from the holster, chamber a round, hoping you do not shortstroke it or it malfunctions, and fire, under stress let's say on a good day 1.75 seconds. Ummmmmm let's see, subtract that, carry the one, you lose every single time.
    Armed with an impact weapon you can be struck and or disabled before you can draw your weapon at the same distance or further. Someone who knows what they are doing with a knife will fatally stab/slash you before you are able to draw and chamber a round much less fire it.

Yes given enough space you will have time to draw, chamber and fire but as has been demonstrated in the Tueller Drills that distance would have to be greater than 7 yards and that is using a locked and loaded weapon. Yes not carrying a round in the chamber will prevent ND/AD's and sitting in my living room is safer than riding my Harley so your point is....again your life, your choice.
    We forgot one thing T-man, moving off the x and trying to rack a round into the gun off the draw...Good lord, to many things that can go wrong with that.....

On post I cannot carry with a magazine in let alone a round in the chamber and yet every time I leave post I manage to seat a magazine and rack the slide without incident. Upon return I manage to release the magazine, rack the slide to eject the chambered round, and keep the slide locked to gain unquestioned entry back onto post. How the heck I can do this daily (often several times a day) without hurting myself, my loved ones, or an innocent bystander is beyond me. I must be lucky!!!
    suntzu and OD* like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NotMallNinja View Post
    On post I cannot carry with a magazine in let alone a round in the chamber and yet every time I leave post I manage to seat a magazine and rack the slide without incident. Upon return I manage to release the magazine, rack the slide to eject the chambered round, and keep the slide locked to gain unquestioned entry back onto post. How the heck I can do this daily (often several times a day) without hurting myself, my loved ones, or an innocent bystander is beyond me. I must be lucky!!!
    Lucky No...Smart on handling your weapon yes..But how do you do it....LOL

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links