Yeager video on carrying with an empty chamber

This is a discussion on Yeager video on carrying with an empty chamber within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by NotMallNinja You seem to contradict yourself from one sentence to the next. If you wouldn't let some random stranger get that close ...

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: Yeager video on carrying with an empty chamber

Quote Originally Posted by NotMallNinja View Post
    You seem to contradict yourself from one sentence to the next. If you wouldn't let some random stranger get that close to you [as in Limatunes' video] then you would not need to do your best.
    Not sure what you're saying here. I do my best to avoid getting cornered by a stranger like that. If I can help it, I would never let a random stranger corner me like that....definitely could still happen though.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 3wggl View Post
    Not sure what you're saying here. I do my best to avoid getting cornered by a stranger like that. If I can help it, I would never let a random stranger corner me like that....definitely could still happen though.
    The qualifier fixed it. First you were certain and then you were not. The point is that none of us, no matter how hyper vigilant we might be, can control every situation such that we are never cornered, etc.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

The qualifier fixed it. First you were certain and then you were not. The point is that none of us, no matter how hyper vigilant we might be, can control every situation such that we are never cornered, etc.
    Got it and agreed. As I've stated before, C3 does certainly handicap me for certain scenarios. It's a shame everyone only wants to focus on those scenarios where C3 is a hindrance instead of the multitude of scenarios where C3 would be plenty sufficient. Also, for those close encounters where C3 is a hindrance, I'd generally prefer to go hand-to-hand as I don't think going for my weapon (C1 or C3) would be the most prudent action anyways.

I'm jumping in late but I'll write it again.

If you don't carry with a round in the chamber you shouldn't be carrying at all.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    I'm jumping in late but I'll write it again.

If you don't carry with a round in the chamber you shouldn't be carrying at all.
    Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Care to elaborate?

I've watched that video numerous times before. In both scenarios, reaching to draw her gun got her stabbed. I'd go straight hand-to-hand against the guy with both arms in front of me ready to deflect the knife. It might not end well for me but I think I'd have a better chance at grabbing the attackers arm. Also, I wouldn't let some random stranger get that close to me. As I said, I'm always aware I don't have a round in the chamber and do my best to ensure I'm never cornered by a stranger as the video demonstrates.

I appreciate the example though. I'm open minded and have not ruled out C1 carry by any means but C3 still feels right.
    Yes she took hits on both counts, but with the weapon ready she was able to get two hits on the BG. With the weapon not ready, she didnt get a shot off. Nobody ever said that the possibility of getting hurt would go away with one in the chamber. Her scenario shows, that with one in the pipe you stand a chance, and with out, certain death.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Yes she took hits on both counts, but with the weapon ready she was able to get two hits on the BG. With the weapon not ready, she didnt get a shot off. Nobody ever said that the possibility of getting hurt would go away with one in the chamber. Her scenario shows, that with one in the pipe you stand a chance, and with out, certain death.
    I disagree, certain death is not guaranteed with an empty chamber. All the video demonstrated was that being stabbed was guaranteed if you go for your weapon in that scenario. For me in that situation, I would have gone hand-to-hand and might not have gotten stabbed at all. No chance I would try and draw in the situation, C1 or C3. The video shows a petite female against a full grown man so her actions will be different than mine.

I disagree, certain death is not guaranteed with an empty chamber. All the video demonstrated was that being stabbed was guaranteed if you go for your weapon in that scenario. For me in that situation, I would have gone hand-to-hand and might not have gotten stabbed at all. No chance I would try and draw in the situation, C1 or C3. The video shows a petite female against a full grown man so her actions will be different than mine.
    You missed the entire point of the video. She was stabbed in both. But on the FIRST example she was able to get TWO HITS ON TARGET. The second example WITH NO ROUND IN THE CHAMBER, she was NOT able to get any rounds on target, thus getting stabbed to death. So yes, not have a round in the chamber in her SCENARIO will cause certain death.

I would suggest you take some training, either manipulations or FOF. There is a lot to learn as it pertains to fighting with a gun. It is obvious that this would help you....

Senior Moderator
    It's your choice to carry how you want too, but it would be wise to not ignore the overwhelming opinion of this forum; that carrying condition 3 is not advisable.

I would not let someone ride with me if they chose to carry in Condition 3 nor would I want someone backing me up without a round in the chamber.

If you are worried about the gun going off by itself then carry a revolver with the hammer down on an empty cylinder. Then you'll still have 4 to 5 rounds at the ready.
    jumpwing likes this.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    You missed the entire point of the video. She was stabbed in both. But on the FIRST example she was able to get TWO HITS ON TARGET. The second example WITH NO ROUND IN THE CHAMBER, she was NOT able to get any rounds on target, thus getting stabbed to death. So yes, not have a round in the chamber in her SCENARIO will cause certain death.

I would suggest you take some training, either manipulations or FOF. There is a lot to learn as it pertains to fighting with a gun. It is obvious that this would help you....
    Too bad the video doesn't explore other defensive options appropriate for a healthy male that might result in no stabbing at all. Appropriate actions for her in that scenario are far different than what would be best for me. Agreed, I think we should all take advantage of some of the great SD training opportunities out there.

Too bad the video doesn't explore other defensive options appropriate for a healthy male that might result in no stabbing at all. Appropriate actions for her in that scenario are far different than what would be best for me. Agreed, I think we should all take advantage of some of the great SD training opportunities out there.
    There you go with the qualifiers again (healthy male).

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    It's your choice to carry how you want too, but it would be wise to not ignore the overwhelming opinion of this forum; that carrying condition 3 is not advisable.

I would not let someone ride with me if they chose to carry in Condition 3 nor would I want someone backing me up without a round in the chamber.

If you are worried about the gun going off by itself then carry a revolver with the hammer down on an empty cylinder. Then you'll still have 4 to 5 rounds at the ready.
    Trust me, I'm listening to you guys and learning. I have an open mind and have seen a few accounts/surveillance videos that suggest C1 may outweigh any minimal risks of an ND. C3 still feels right to me, however. Thanks, a S&W 642 is one of my preferred methods of carry (hammer on an empty cylinder) but I feel just about as comfortable with a semi-auto in C3.

There you go with the qualifiers again (healthy male).
    Again, I don't follow. I'm trying to put myself in the place of that woman. In that scenario, about her only option is to draw her weapon. For me, hand-to-hand might be best as I'd be bigger, stronger, and faster than that BG. Me going for my weapon in that scenario would be a handicap.

Again, I don't follow. I'm trying to put myself in the place of that woman. In that scenario, about her only option is to draw her weapon. For me, hand-to-hand might be best as I'd be bigger, stronger, and faster than that BG. Me going for my weapon in that scenario would be a handicap.
    Your saying that you would be faster than an un-expected attack? This is why I recommended you seek training. I really do not believe you understand how fast and how bad it can be. Hell, I know some high speed low drag kind of guys and even they are weary of these types of attacks....

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Not impressed with the video. He was a little awkward speaking on the video (unlike the poster from the Military Arms channel: good stuff!), and I didn't see anything that wasn't already covered 50x over here.

If you don't trust the gun or yourself to carry it in condition 1, you shouldn't carry it, IMO.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Links