Yeager video on carrying with an empty chamber

This is a discussion on Yeager video on carrying with an empty chamber within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Every body play nice. We're getting pretty darn close to start having to axe posts etc....

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: Yeager video on carrying with an empty chamber

JD
    Administrator
    Every body play nice. We're getting pretty darn close to start having to axe posts etc.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    LOL yes dad.

I am still sitting here trying to figure out how to make a 442 have a ND.
    JD, 40Bob, OD* and 2 others like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    LOL yes dad.

Pull the trigger and say you didnt mean to....
    40Bob likes this.

JD
    Administrator
    LOL yes dad.

Me too,

You keep up your good behavior and we can remove that time out chair as your avatar.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Pull the trigger and say you didnt mean to....
    There's always that....

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    There's always that....

We both know that that is the real cause of NDs.....

LOL yes dad.

Put your booger hook on the bang switch and then do the following workout...you should have that ND in no time.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 3wggl View Post
    Put your booger hook on the bang switch and then do the following workout...you should have that ND in no time.
    But you don't put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire, just like you never point a gun at something that you are not willing to destroy

If you follow the basic rules you don't have a ND.

If someone will let me borrow their 642 I will load it up and drive nails with it to see if it will go off
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    But you don't put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire, just like you never point a gun at something that you are not willing to destroy

If you follow the basic rules you don't have a ND.

If someone will let me borrow their 642 I will load it up and drive nails with it to see if it will go off
    Right, but there is always the possibility we screw that up and break one of the basic rules. This happens to even the most experienced gun handlers and many innocent folks are dead because of it. It is guaranteed experienced gun handlers will make these mistakes in the future as well and innocents will suffer because of it...I won't be the cause of those hardships.

I'll let you know if my preference changes following some solid training.

Like Tacman I have been carrying guns professionally for over 30 years. I have a certain way I carry my guns.

For long guns; bouncing around the truck or in the rack it is hot standby or cruiser ready, what that means to the layman is magazine full, empty chamber safety off. When I exit the vehicle with the long gun it then gets a round chambered.

For hand guns; loaded to capacity, one in the pipe.

Downloading a modern revolver is silly and unrealistic BTW, an empty chamber under the hammer is not gonna stop it from firing when you pull the trigger.

If you feel that you are likely to accidentally shoot yourself with a loaded gun, that should be a sign.
    Harryball likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Again, I don't follow. I'm trying to put myself in the place of that woman. In that scenario, about her only option is to draw her weapon. For me, hand-to-hand might be best as I'd be bigger, stronger, and faster than that BG. Me going for my weapon in that scenario would be a handicap.
    I agree, in certain situations going hands on may be the best action. An attack is likely require some sort of deflection in order to mount a counter before your firearm can be brought into play.

There was a time I could take most any four BGs on in hth combat. Today, I'm 55yr old & partially disabled. BUT, I would still put my hth skills up against most anybody. HOWEVER!

• Why should I give myself any DIS-advantages at all?

Why not give myself EVERY advantage possible?

Sure, I could probaly take on an armed BG in hth combat & win. (You may be able to do that as well.)
    But, why not give yourself every advantage possible?

• Why put yourself at a disadvantage going in?
    • What about two, three, four or more bad guys jumping on your back & bashing your head in?
    • Wouldn't it be better to be able to deflect, counter & move WITHOUT having the added worry of racking a round?

-
    40Bob likes this.

Right, but there is always the possibility we screw that up and break one of the basic rules. This happens to even the most experienced gun handlers and many innocent folks are dead because of it. It is guaranteed experienced gun handlers will make these mistakes in the future as well and innocents will suffer because of it...I won't be the cause of those hardships.

I'll let you know if my preference changes following some solid training.
    There are 4 rules, designed to be redundant so if you only break one and are following the others no one will get hurt.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    There are 4 rules, designed to be redundant so if you only break one and are following the others no one will get hurt.
    Good point, allow me to re-phrase: ...there is always the possibility we screw up and break the basic rules.

It's a shame the basic rules are broken from time to time (even by the best of them) and people end up getting hurt. Although I'm confident in my safety discipline and adherence to the four rules, the numerous stories about experienced firearm handlers having ND's indicates to me that I'm not immune from the same mistakes. For this reason, and because the odds of ever having to draw in SD are low, I choose to take on a bit more risk to ensure I never make a mistake that ends up hurting someone.

Excellent discussion and feedback, the overwhelming opinion here on the matter has me thinking and I'll be pursuing training.

Good point, allow me to re-phrase: ...there is always the possibility we screw up and break the basic rules.

It's a shame the basic rules are broken from time to time (even by the best of them) and people end up getting hurt. Although I'm confident in my safety discipline and adherence to the four rules, the numerous stories about experienced firearm handlers having ND's indicates to me that I'm not immune from the same mistakes. For this reason, and because the odds of ever having to draw in SD are low, I choose to take on a bit more risk to ensure I never make a mistake that ends up hurting someone.

Excellent discussion and feedback, the overwhelming opinion here on the matter has me thinking and I'll be pursuing training.
    I take it you don't dare drive a car right? I mean, even if following all the rules of the road and maintaining as much situational awareness as possible you are not immune to mistakes and you could kill innocent person as a result of your mistake.

OD*
    OK.

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Links