Yeager video on carrying with an empty chamber

This is a discussion on Yeager video on carrying with an empty chamber within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Carrying with an Empty Chamber - YouTube I can so relate on the Browning Hi Power, locked and cocked comments in Iraq. Note: So as ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: Yeager video on carrying with an empty chamber

VIP Member

Yeager video on carrying with an empty chamber

Carrying with an Empty Chamber - YouTube

I can so relate on the Browning Hi Power, locked and cocked comments in Iraq.

Note: So as not to offend anyone I will give prior notice. He is wearing a black Tactical Response t shirt that has a cross and a prayer on it but no skulls. You can still see his tattoos though so for those that are shocked or offended you do not need to watch.

Sorry forgot to mention he says a cuss word to.
    Last edited by tacman605; August 28th, 2012 at 04:16 AM.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

Couldn't agree more. It just makes sense. Carrying with an empty chamber is like carrying a spare tire in your vehicle with no air pressure in it.
    bigdog44 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    If a person can't discipline himself to be careful with a loaded chamber, an empty chamber isn't going to save him.
    bigmacque likes this.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Administrator
    The reason that the Israelis carried with an empty chamber was that Israeli citizens that did not own a handgun but wanted to carry one during times when threats were high was....that they could go and borrow a handgun from officials but, would get lent whatever firearm was available.
    Different handguns (of course) have differing manual of arms.
    So one week a citizen would get one gun and then another on the next occasion...etc.

The guns were set up with magazines fully loaded - empty chamber - safety off...so that any semi-auto needed the operator to only rack the slide and pull the trigger to make the firearm operational.

Additionally they would not need to be concerned with clearing the firearm or unloading it or "making it safe" because as long as they didn't use it (and only just carried it) the chamber would remain empty.

In Israel back then the scenarios were entirely different than say here in the U.S.

Citizens in Israel were very UNLIKELY to be robbed or mugged on the street.

What was likely would be a terror threat on a bus or restaurant or school where the citizen would possibly have time to get (whatever) firearm into operation without having to be concerned that a given firearm needed to have the thumb safety moved up - or down or was the decocker the safety etc etc.

So... way back when ~ that is how that "empty chamber" mode originally got started.

How far it went after that I have absolutely no idea.
    tcox4freedom and preachertim like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    QK neither do I but for whatever reason it has morphed into this monster.
    QKShooter and tcox4freedom like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

This horse needs to be shot, but unfortunately it needs to be repeated for people new to CARRY. They need to realize the severity of carrying a defensive firearm...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    If a person can't discipline himself to be careful with a loaded chamber, an empty chamber isn't going to save him.
    this....

Bottom line....Train to run your weapon, train to defend yourself, and thru your training you will be able to overcome the fear of carrying with "one in the chamber" and become more confident in your abilities to defend yourself and/or your loved ones, should the need arise ... JMO
    tcox4freedom and bigdog44 like this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Risk needs to be evaluated from all angles. It is unlikely you'll ever need to pull your weapon in self defense and even more unlikely that if you do you won't have an extra half second to rack your slide. There are too many innocent folks in the ground because someone chose to carry with a loaded chamber....far too many negligent discharges/shootings have occurred that resulted in an innocent persons death or injury. An empty chamber eliminates the risk of a negligent discharge.

I do agree that you are creating risk for yourself by not carrying with a loaded chamber but you are also removing all risk of a negligent discharge. That said, even without a round in the chamber, you are still carrying a highly effective self defense tool that can be at the ready in less than 1.5 seconds.

I suggest those with a differing opinion read the below to gain an understanding as to why some might think differently than them:

The Thinking Gunfighter: THE MYTHS OF THE ISRAELI METHOD OF CARRY, or why carrying chamber empty isn’t so bad.

It all comes down to personal preference and how you want to distribute risk...on yourself or onto others.

Quote Originally Posted by 3wggl View Post
    Risk needs to be evaluated from all angles. It is unlikely you'll ever need to pull your weapon in self defense and even more unlikely that if you do you won't have an extra half second to rack your slide. There are too many innocent folks in the ground because someone chose to carry with a loaded chamber....far too many negligent discharges/shootings have occurred that resulted in an innocent persons death or injury. An empty chamber eliminates the risk of a negligent discharge.

I do agree that you are creating risk for yourself by not carrying with a loaded chamber but you are also removing all risk of a negligent discharge. That said, even without a round in the chamber, you are still carrying a highly effective self defense tool that can be at the ready in less than 1.5 seconds.

I suggest those with a differing opinion read the below to gain an understanding as to why some might think differently than them:

The Thinking Gunfighter: THE MYTHS OF THE ISRAELI METHOD OF CARRY, or why carrying chamber empty isn’t so bad.

It all comes down to personal preference and how you want to distribute risk...on yourself or onto others.
    Confidence and competence says it all. The reason this horse can not be put to sleep is because of opinions like the above. It is my opinion that if you cannot carry with a round in the chamber, you shouldnt carry. You are using the tool incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Confidence and competence says it all. The reason this horse can not be put to sleep is because of opinions like the above. It is my opinion that if you cannot carry with a round in the chamber, you shouldnt carry. You are using the tool incorrectly.
    Tell that to the very experienced and competent people it's happened to... It's called being human, and you're not above it - nobody is.

So what you're saying is your opinion is better than his? That attitude's always a conversation stopper with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Tell that to the very experienced and competent people it's happened to... It's called being human, and you're not above it - nobody is.
    There he is.....

Already have. No one is above being human you know that. I never said I was above it. Bad things will happen to people not paying attention. Trained or un-trained, they are still people. So my question to you is what is your point?

P.S. you got one in the pipe now???

Quote Originally Posted by bmglock23 View Post
    So what you're saying is your opinion is better than his? That attitude's always a conversation stopper with me.
    Not only my opinion, but the OPs opinion and the opinion of the instructor in the video the OP posted.

To those that do not want to carry with one in the pipe. It is your choice. It is not the way Ill carry, but it is what it is...

I think the reason the horse can't be put to sleep is because there are varying opinions on the different carry methods and each methods advantages and disadvantages. My opinion is that if you aren't comfortable carrying a round in the chamber, then by all means, carry in condition 3. A C3 gun is much better than no gun at all.
    JoeK likes this.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links