Strong Arm Out of Commission

This is a discussion on Strong Arm Out of Commission within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been training and teaching for some time now and always teach about having your primary arm put out of commission. I can tell ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rexster

Thread: Strong Arm Out of Commission

I have been training and teaching for some time now and always teach about having your primary arm put out of commission. I can tell you that unless you have experienced it first hand, there is no comparison.

I just had extensive surgery on my right arm and it is out of commission for about 6 weeks before I can even think of drawing from a holster. While I trained to use my off hand, I realized I was pretending. Nothing like the real thing to wake up the need to be ready. I can only imagine what it would be like had I not been working on it.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

Yep. My HS Golf Team coach got angry with me once for not listening to him about pushing too hard with my right hand. So he MADE me play 18 holes with that hand in my pocket. By the end of the round...I got the message.

Have you been working on non-dominant, one-handed mag changes, slide cycling & jam clearance as well? Seems to me I have to be careful to practice the stuff I'm NOT GOOD at. 'Cause Murphy says that exactly the skill I'm gonna' need the most...and at the worst possible moment. Thanks for the reminder & heal quickly!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Havent practiced that for a looooong time. Time to work on it!

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Be ambidextrous! Do it now!

It is amazingly comforting to be functionally ambidextrous. Admittedly, I had a head start, as I always tended to do delicate, skllled tasks as a lefty, and larger, gross motor movement rightie. The draw seemed more natural rightie, but shooting handguns has been one of those things that meets in the middle, being a combination of gross and fine motor skills. I chose to carry "primary" at 0300, back in 1983, because several factors favored right-hand carry, but tend to carry a second gun
    positioned for left-hand access. Notice I did not say "BUG" or "back-up" gun, but "second" gun.

Now, at age 50, it is becoming more apparent that several body parts might be out of commision, for healing, at various times
    in the future, with the right hand/arm/shoulder being leading candidates. (There are times, now, I wear a carpal tunnel splint.) I already have several excellent holsters for each side, and recently acquired an orthopedic pistol, a G17, as I shoot Glocks better lefty than rightie, polymer tends to cushion recoil, and 9mm recoils less than .40 S&W. (I am mandated to carry .40 at work, but have more freedom on my own time, plus, there is hope of 9mm being authorized as an alternative duty pistol cartridge.)
    HotGuns likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Yep. My HS Golf Team coach got angry with me once for not listening to him about pushing too hard with my right hand. So he MADE me play 18 holes with that hand in my pocket. By the end of the round...I got the message.

Have you been working on non-dominant, one-handed mag changes, slide cycling & jam clearance as well? Seems to me I have to be careful to practice the stuff I'm NOT GOOD at. 'Cause Murphy says that exactly the skill I'm gonna' need the most...and at the worst possible moment. Thanks for the reminder & heal quickly!
    I always run through my shooting drills both left & right handed. But, I haven't done my "oh crud!" drills on a very long time. Thanks for the reminder.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Sponsored Links