Went to my first IDPA match - time well spent

This is a discussion on Went to my first IDPA match - time well spent within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, how do they duplicate recoil of a 9mm, .40, or a .45 in airsoft to affect the follow up shots? By shooting a 9mm, ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Went to my first IDPA match - time well spent

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    So, how do they duplicate recoil of a 9mm, .40, or a .45 in airsoft to affect the follow up shots?
    By shooting a 9mm, 40 or a .45 some place else other than FOF.

FOF is not the do or have all of training but there is not a do all or have all out there other than going out and getting in a actual gunfight and hoping you live through it. That why training and practicing in and of many different way is so important.

Some have posted they would like none other than a professional IDPA shooter, (who is a super shooter), with them in a real life situation, that would not be my choice of someone to stand beside me in a real life situation. As we know no two scenarios are the same so we don't know in advance what we are going up against. I would therefore take someone who is good, and well trained in many forms of fighting (gun, knife,h2h and just pain ole S/A) over that super good IDPA shooter. From what I've seen on YouTube videos their stance has a lot to do with how good they are. Throw them into a situation of stress and off balance on the street, are they as good as they are on the IDPA range? And then what if the situation does not call for the use of guns?
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

2. Remove Ads

nothin' like a good argument on the Internet!

I haven't attended yet, but plan to go to the training session next month, and if I like what I see I'll return for some matches. the majority of trigger time I've had with handguns is at the range shooting a static target while standing still at exactly 8 yards at no more than 1 round per second (unless no one is looking ). so IDPA seems like a fairly inexpensive option for a civilian to train in an environment that has numerous variables that are more akin to a gunfight than the aforementioned range. common sense tells me that it isn't comparable to a real life gunfight and it won't qualify me for the SEALs or US Marshall, but will be good experience that will make me more prepared for a real life encounter. and even if that's only a little bit more prepared, that's good with me. and if I like it, I will probably try to make it 2 - 3 times a year will help hone/maintain those skills.

thanks to the [OP] for the feedback, can't wait till October!

Quote Originally Posted by clan.des.tin View Post
    nothin' like a good argument on the Internet!

I haven't attended yet, but plan to go to the training session next month, and if I like what I see I'll return for some matches. the majority of trigger time I've had with handguns is at the range shooting a static target while standing still at exactly 8 yards at no more than 1 round per second (unless no one is looking ). so IDPA seems like a fairly inexpensive option for a civilian to train in an environment that has numerous variables that are more akin to a gunfight than the aforementioned range. common sense tells me that it isn't comparable to a real life gunfight and it won't qualify me for the SEALs or US Marshall, but will be good experience that will make me more prepared for a real life encounter. and even if that's only a little bit more prepared, that's good with me. and if I like it, I will probably try to make it 2 - 3 times a year will help hone/maintain those skills.

thanks to the [OP] for the feedback, can't wait till October!
    IDPA isn't training, nor does it claim to be.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    By shooting a 9mm, 40 or a .45 some place else other than FOF.

FOF is not the do or have all of training but there is not a do all or have all out there other than going out and getting in a actual gunfight and hoping you live through it. That why training and practicing in and of many different way is so important.

Some have posted they would like none other than a professional IDPA shooter, (who is a super shooter), with them in a real life situation, that would not be my choice of someone to stand beside me in a real life situation. As we know no two scenarios are the same so we don't know in advance what we are going up against. I would therefore take someone who is good, and well trained in many forms of fighting (gun, knife,h2h and just pain ole S/A) over that super good IDPA shooter. From what I've seen on YouTube videos their stance has a lot to do with how good they are. Throw them into a situation of stress and off balance on the street, are they as good as they are on the IDPA range? And then what if the situation does not call for the use of guns?
    Pepper spray, walking can, expandable baton, brachial stun.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

I attended my first IDPA match recently after another DC member urged me to try it.He even let me borrow some gear.I'm glad I did.It was fun and I got to meet other like minded people.While it may not be very realistic,it is more realistic than shootin paper at the range.I got to practice drawing and shooting which is something that I want to be able to do. Also I enjoy anything pertaining to firearms so this is just another avenue to indulge in my hobby.I can't wait til next month.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Pepper spray, walking can, expandable baton, brachial stun.
    How good is your super star IDPA shooter with those thing? Again I'll take the all round good fighter in many different fields, not just a one field super star.

Have enjoyed the discussion.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    IDPA isn't training, nor does it claim to be.
    good point of clarification, but my interest in attending is to train myself to better handle my firearm in a pressure situation. the competition will be fun too and a way to benchmark my own performance, but that's secondary to trigger time in a more dynamic environment than the shooting range.

and Walk Soft raises another good point, in addition to the restriction on the speed of fire imposed by our local ranges (1 round per second max), they also don't allow us to draw from a holster. I can practice drawing and home, but not drawing AND shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    How good is your super star IDPA shooter with those thing? Again I'll take the all round good fighter in many different fields, not just a one field super star.

Have enjoyed the discussion.
    Not relying on "my star IDPA shooter", and where did I say I did?
    Richard M Nixon
    Jeff Cooper

I still think if you carry a handgun, you should shoot an IDPA match(or some type of competition) at least once. A lot of people get their concealed carry permit, strap on a gun, and head out into the world.
    I would rather take a defensive pistol class, but at the moment I don't have $450, and 600 rounds to fire. Someday I will, but not this year. I did have $15 and 150 rounds.
    --Jason--

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    I went to my first IDPA match yesterday. The match was held at the The Rod & Gun Club of New Bedford. A great group of shooters and a nice facility. The variety of the five stages proved challenging and interesting, making me do some things I would not have thought of on my own. They had an assortment of targets, including numerous action targets that were activated by shooting/dropping a metal silhouette.

We were divided into squads, and went seamlessly through the five stages, led by the same Range Officer (who was terrific) throughout the event. Total time for the match was about two hours.

IMHO, if you want to tune and tweak your shooting skills a little, then go to one of your local IDPA matches. For me, it was time well spent.

-
    Glad you liked it. From looking at the IDPA website, it looks like a great deal. And it doesn't cost much to be a member. Better yet, there are already 2 IDPA affiliated gun clubs in both Hampton Roads and Central VA. Once I retire from the service, I am going to make the IDPA a lifetime committment.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links