Safe muzzle direction when chambering. - Page 2

Safe muzzle direction when chambering.

This is a discussion on Safe muzzle direction when chambering. within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Stacked phone books, newpapers and magazines were used for years as a test medium no reason they would not work in this case....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Safe muzzle direction when chambering.

VIP Member
    Stacked phone books, newpapers and magazines were used for years as a test medium no reason they would not work in this case.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    I have two areas where I can chamber a round if necessary. The first is in to a large crate of old phone books as described. This is also my dry-fire back stop. The other is 9 feet of book shelf - full, of course.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Pail of Sand..............

Ok...was just rolling thru the threads when I stopped to read this one...I can understand the recommendations being made for a novice or inexperienced shooter. With that being said, what happened to the recommendation of "professional defensive weapon training". Seems this would go a long way toward weapons handling mindset and safety.

Other than the military and LE and civilian contractor requirements for clearing a weapon and/or chambering a weapon.....How many experienced civilian shooters have those phone books and/or pail of sand available? I'm sorry, depending on my surroundings and location, it's either high ready positioning, low ready positioning, or in some circumstances, down range positioning when I chamber a round...JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    Ok...was just rolling thru the threads when I stopped to read this one...I can understand the recommendations being made for a novice or inexperienced shooter. With that being said, what happened to the recommendation of "professional defensive weapon training". Seems this would go a long way toward weapons handling mindset and safety.

Other than the military and LE and civilian contractor requirements for clearing a weapon and/or chambering a weapon.....How many experienced civilian shooters have those phone books and/or pail of sand available? I'm sorry, depending on my surroundings and location, it's either high ready positioning, low ready positioning, or in some circumstances, down range positioning when I chamber a round...JMO
    I would say that almost all of them have these items available to them if they want them. How many people do you believe do not have access to them?

Michael

Perhaps "available" was not the proper choice of wording or was interpreted differently than what I meant...Sooo...let me rephrase and ask the same question in a different manner......

And to answer your question, I'm sure all of us have "access" to them...Maybe the repharase below will be a bit clearer to those that will pick apart my phrasing...

"How many experienced civilian shooters have phone books, pails of sand, or some other item, set up for chambering a round into their weapon?".....My apologies for being vague in my question...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

"How many experienced civilian shooters have phone books, pails of sand, or some other item, set up for chambering a round into their weapon?".....My apologies for being vague in my question...
    I'll be clearer in my answer. As many of them who want to take the time to stack some old magazines in a box or fill up an empty plastic bucket with some sand. Those of us who are willing to take the extra step necessary to protect outers from a possible accident on our part. I no longer use a sand bucket because I find it easier to step out back and point the weapon into my garden when chambering a round.

Michael

I'm fairly new to CC but have been around guns most of my life. I have never heard of a round going off when chambering. I now assume it's possible but has anyone experienced it? I've always just pointed in a safe direction and racked the slide.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Go to Home Depot Get a Big Pot and some decrative flowers or just get a nicebig potted plant stick it in the corner of your home.....Boom your done you don't have to worry about phone books. Plus its decrative. Also nobody is going to wonder why you have a bunch of phone books in the corner or a big pot of sand. YOu could grow a tomato bush and have fresh veggies.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Soooo.... "the neighbor's cat" is not an acceptable answer here then?

There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by livewire View Post
    Soooo.... "the neighbor's cat" is not an acceptable answer here then?

Funny I just came back to say the same thing. Need to try out the new suppressor.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Dono View Post
    I'm fairly new to CC but have been around guns most of my life. I have never heard of a round going off when chambering. I now assume it's possible but has anyone experienced it? I've always just pointed in a safe direction and racked the slide.
    Yes I have heard of it happening. POS firearm, poor condition with zero maintenance from what I understand. Firing pin frozen forward. Emptied the magazine in short order. Could have been tragic instead he just shot up the floorboards on his truck.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by babarock View Post
    Yes I have heard of it happening. POS firearm, poor condition with zero maintenance from what I understand. Firing pin frozen forward. Emptied the magazine in short order. Could have been tragic instead he just shot up the floorboards on his truck.
    That must have been... energetic.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

I've never experienced it or heard of it happening to anybody either.. but that doesn't mean much.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Had a Remy 700 go off while chambering a round many years ago. Have seen both a SKS and a M1a slamfire.

Michael

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links