Safe muzzle direction when chambering.

This is a discussion on Safe muzzle direction when chambering. within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by livewire That must have been... energetic. and pants filling Just reinforces the wisdom of the four rules....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Safe muzzle direction when chambering.

Quote Originally Posted by livewire View Post
    That must have been... energetic.
    and pants filling Just reinforces the wisdom of the four rules.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Dono View Post
    I have never heard of a round going off when chambering. I now assume it's possible but has anyone experienced it?
    Not in a semi-auto pistol, no. But in a Remington 700 bolt-action rifle with a professionally-installed Jewell trigger, yes, once, when I'd dialed down the trigger weight to an unsafe level, such that chambering the round resulted in it firing. Needless to say, that was my error in setting the trigger weight, not the gun's problem. Corrected, there were no other incidents.

But even that situation goes to show that when the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction, about the worst that can happen is a round fires ... but nobody is harmed, and a good lesson is learned and reinforced.

Funny how useful it is, the overlap in the basic safety rules.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I always chamber in a safe direction (usually at the ground or down range) but feel that a bucket of sand or a box of books is overkill. But......better safe than sorry.
    Win94ae likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dono View Post
    I always chamber in a safe direction (usually at the ground or down range) but feel that a bucket of sand or a box of books is overkill.
    Has its place, in situations such as the OP's, with family and neighbors in all directions.
    mlr1m and phreddy like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by babarock View Post
    That is nice but a bit expensive for me. The phone books would be cheap and effective. You could also look at Safe Direction Firearm Safety Targets and Training and Dry Fire 2: Further Thoughts… | Utah Concealed Carry and Ongoing Personal Protection Education and Training
    Not as expensive as a civil liability suite when the bullet penetrates your box your phonebooks and hits someone or damages property.

I trust you've already spoken with your renter's or home owner's insurence about negligent discharges?

No spell-check with Tapatalk, sorry.

VIP Member
    Ummmmmm I am not aware of a handgun round that would penetrate layers of phone books or similar items if stacked properly but I guess it is possible if you hit the edge of the material or something.

I don't remember reading what type of firearm the OP has but unless there is an actual mechanical defect with the gun as long as basic safety rules are followed I don't see where there would be a major issue with chambering a round but to each his own.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Ummmmmm I am not aware of a handgun round that would penetrate layers of phone books or similar items if stacked properly but I guess it is possible if you hit the edge of the material or something.

I don't remember reading what type of firearm the OP has but unless there is an actual mechanical defect with the gun as long as basic safety rules are followed I don't see where there would be a major issue with chambering a round but to each his own.
    This is the reason for the extra precautions. While rare it can happen. I believe that there is a very slim chance that this will ever happen to a person. Even those who shoot regularly and are constantly chambering a round. However if that slim chance happens to you the phone books or sand bucket could save your bacon.
    Its no different that buying fire or tornado insurance for your house. I mean really how often does your house burn down?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I mean really how often does your house burn down?

Michael
    Not very often... I think only twice last month.

mlr1m likes this.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    You are in your house and you are chambering and that is your concern. When exactly is this chambering taking place. Recent forum discussions have covered "one in the chamber or not"; something going on in my house that requires my firearm, it is already chambered--it is one less step for me to worry about and that extra little millisecond can be the difference between you wondering about the next time you chamber or never having to worry about it anymore. There are special circumstances and special "chambering apparatuses" described in some replies and they probably are the correct answers to your question, but for me the firearm is always chambered and unchambered only when I switch to practice ammunition and I do that at the range.

VIP Member
    Micheal you are correct better safe than sorry. Any medium properly stacked, filled or whatever would work.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

A few thoughts I've had about this issue:

1. I usually use a revolver which eliminates this issue with regard to loading, but it doesn't eliminate the issue of where to point the gun while dry firing, so I think pretty much everyone who handles a gun at home needs a good, well thought out back stop.

2. For those who don't think it is important, there are plenty of stories of a semi-auto handguns going full auto when a firing pin gets stuck, etc. When you drop a slide on a gun, you should assume that it may fire. It's the same as when closing the bolt on many rifles.

3. Many people at home just point the gun at the ground. That may work if on the first floor, but even then, the floor isn't a safe direction if it's solid - ricochets are also your responsibility.

So, some type of bullet trap or safe backstop is something we should all consider if we maintain weapons at home. If you are on the ground floor (wood framing) with a crawl space that no one can realistically get under, problem solved. If you can't find a suitable safe backstop, then make one.

Before using phone books or newspaper, look up some penetration stats - it makes a huge difference if it's hp or ball. IIRC a 45acp ball will go through 2-3 feet of dry book material.

I also think that if you are using a semi-auto anything, it would be a wise idea to make your trap or backstop have a ring or hole of some sort that you can push the barrel into. If it goes full auto, you want something that will keep the muzzle pointed into the trap. I would think a 3 inch hole cut into the top of a 5 gallon bucket mostly full of sand and gravel would work.

Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I would say that almost all of them have these items available to them if they want them. How many people do you believe do not have access to them?

Michael
    I certainly haven't seen a phone book in a very long time...years. We have 411 and the internet. If I need a number, my Galexy S3 Googles it and *poof* there it is.

I can't say I have buckets and/or sand hanging around, either. I would have to make a trip to Lowe's for that.

But hey, OP wanted opinions, so I gave my opinion. Get a real clearing barrel. Something with a warranty and guarantee. Something your home owner's insurance won't fight as much should you file a claim. If OP wants to trust the value of a civil lawsuit on some phone books and a box, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    I certainly haven't seen a phone book in a very long time...years. We have 411 and the internet. If I need a number, my Galexy S3 Googles it and *poof* there it is.

I can't say I have buckets and/or sand hanging around, either. I would have to make a trip to Lowe's for that.

But hey, OP wanted opinions, so I gave my opinion. Get a real clearing barrel. Something with a warranty and guarantee. Something your home owner's insurance won't fight as much should you file a claim. If OP wants to trust the value of a civil lawsuit on some phone books and a box, so be it.
    And miss the opportunity to shoot the phone book?
    dex-online-salt-lake-city.gif
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by livewire View Post
    And miss the opportunity to shoot the phone book?
    dex-online-salt-lake-city.gif
    You want phone books...a quick prayer to the church to Google tells me most Federal pistol ammo will achieve 6-10" penetration against the white pages...so that's, what, 4 phone books per side, minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    You want phone books...a quick prayer to the church to Google tells me most Federal pistol ammo will achieve 6-10" penetration against the white pages...so that's, what, 4 phone books per side, minimum.
    Depends on the phonebook... but it probably would slow the bullet down enough to keep it from penetrating the floor.

But I think you missed the joke I mean really, who hasn't wanted to shoot their TV when that guy came on...

-- John F. Kennedy

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links