Safe muzzle direction when chambering. - Page 4

Safe muzzle direction when chambering.

This is a discussion on Safe muzzle direction when chambering. within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone ever actually discharged a pistol into a bucket of sand to confirm if it would stop the round? Just wondering......

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Safe muzzle direction when chambering.

Myk
    Has anyone ever actually discharged a pistol into a bucket of sand to confirm if it would stop the round? Just wondering...

Quote Originally Posted by Myk View Post
    Has anyone ever actually discharged a pistol into a bucket of sand to confirm if it would stop the round? Just wondering...
    I was wondering myself... but I do know they don't go very deep into the sandy backstop at my old range... even up close.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Into a sand bank, on a few occasions. The bullets didn't go very far into the sand, plenty shallow for a 5gal bucket of sand to stop the average pistol round. That was years ago, but I can't believe contemporary rounds would be much different.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The box of truth sas that they couldn't get any round past the first 5 inch box full of sand, about 6 inches. That included 9mm, 45acp, slug, 5.56 and 308.

VIP Member
    For years clearing barrels were 5 gallon buckets of sand with a hole cut in the lid and they worked well to stop whatever was fired into them.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

It will easily stop a round. Dry sand is a better stopper than wet so make sure you use dry sand.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    It will easily stop a round. Dry sand is a better stopper than wet so make sure you use dry sand.

Michael
    Huh... that's counter-intuitive.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by livewire View Post
    Huh... that's counter-intuitive.
    Think stepping on sand vs quicksand. Which one will support and dissipate the energy of your footfall vs penetration.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links