Would you shoot.... - Page 3

Would you shoot....

This is a discussion on Would you shoot.... within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There's soooo much more than a snapshot view (pardon the pun) of a situation to decide if I believe the threat represents life-or-death. It's tough ...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Would you shoot....

There's soooo much more than a snapshot view (pardon the pun) of a situation to decide if I believe the threat represents life-or-death. It's tough to imagine that pup being ready to kill me. Frankly, if a mistake in judgement is made, I would rather be the one who's shot because I couldn't shoot, than face the rest of my life never knowing if I absolutely HAD TO KILL that child.

On a lighter-hearted note, I might distract him with Oreos & hit him with a blast of grape Kool-aid.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I guess I'm in the minority with my opinion, but YES, I'd shoot if I felt my life or the life of a family member was in danger! That is the only reason I carry a firearm--to protect myself and my family!

I don't care if the threat is black, white, yellow, purple, male, female, 8 or 80--if they shoot you, you are just as dead regardless of their age, race, or sex!!!! So if I felt my life was in danger, why in the heck wouldn't I shoot?

I didn't spend the time and money to take classes and go to the range and practice and develop my skills to get shot by some punk kid with a gun who isn't old enough to realize the consequences of his actions! I'd be dead and he'd spend till his 18th birthday in a juvenile detention facility, have his record sealed by a judge, and go on with his life. I'd be dead and my family would be without a father/husband/grandfather.

Would I feel bad about killing a kid? Yah, probably--but not as bad as I'd feel if the kid killed my wife, and not as bad as my wife would feel if the kid killed me! If I wouldn't use my gun to protect myself and/or a family member, I might as well sell it or lock it up and not bother carrying! I made the decision BEFORE I started carrying that I WOULD use it to protect myself and/or my wife or a family member. I made that decision BEFORE I took the concealed carry class. And it had nothing to do with checking the age, race, sex, etc. of an assailant!
    Regoria75 and minimalbrat like this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    I sorry but I read a lot of post on a lot of forums and I going to get in trouble here but here goes... Any man that could walk in to a room, see that child with a gun and shoot him is no man in my book! I can not see any situation that can change my mind.
    So you will die. Rest in peace.
    JDE101 likes this.

This thread has generated opinions that are a lot more polarized than I had expected. To the "I'll shoot" crowd, how young would the child have to be before you'd want more details? Agreed, in the photo he has a pistol in hand with no finger on the trigger. But that's ALL we know. Are y'all saying that is all you would NEED to know before shooting him/her?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I would not shoot. As another poster already said the distance is too close to draw and fire if the perceived threat were real and the child's finger is not on the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    This thread has generated opinions that are a lot more polarized than I had expected. To the "I'll shoot" crowd, how young would the child have to be before you'd want more details? Agreed, in the photo he has a pistol in hand with no finger on the trigger. But that's ALL we know. Are y'all saying that is all you would NEED to know before shooting him/her?
    No, I guess I'd ask him for a resume, his personal background, what his career goals are, what his family life is like, is he from a "normal" two parent home or from a single parent home, is he being abused by an alcoholic father, is the gun real, does he intend to shoot me, etc., etc.

Sarcasm now OFF. If someone is pointing a gun at me in MY home, what the H e double hockey pucks else do I need to know before defending myself? If I feel my life is in danger or my wife's life is in danger, I SHOOT! Period.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    ...what the H e double hockey pucks else do I need to know before defending myself? If I feel my life is in danger or my wife's life is in danger, I SHOOT! Period.
    I think you mean "...double hockey sticks...". Are you telling me that a guy who hesitates to say "hell" on an adult forum is the same guy who wouldn't hesitate to shoot an armed child? So your moral compass compels you to guard your language, but that same prudence somehow doesn't apply to your...trigger-finger?

That kid's life is worth EVERY BIT as much as mine is worth. I can't hold him to the same level of accountability as I hold myself because he's the child and I'm the grownup. If ANY good judgement is gonna' show-up in this situation, it's gonna' HAVE to be mine. I am NOT saying that I WOULD NOT shoot. I AM saying I would go to any/every extreme to avail that child every imaginable benefit-of-the-doubt before I pulled that trigger. If that gets me killed? Well, then, you were right. I guess the truth is, in this scenario, I would rather be dead doing right than be alive by risking the chance of being...wrong. To me? That's an easy choice.
    Last edited by ghost tracker; September 10th, 2012 at 06:54 PM.
    Adrenaline and JayTee like this.

I would shoot. I've noticed there is no orange tip on the barrel, his finger is on the trigger, and it's pointing at me. *Shoot to stop the potential threat*
    If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Better count those digits again there Rabbit.
    From my view I see skin in or through the trigger guard. Even if his / her index finger isn't on the trigger. It may be resting right next to it (if that's the case. It wouldn't take much for him to put it on the trigger and press).
    If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Yep, I deleted my post because I couldn't see clearly enough to say for certain, even under zoom. That may be a better way to explain my position. I can't "say for certain" that my life is in danger so i'm not killing the kid. IMHO, kids all deserve a wider margin of error. ALL of 'em.

I'm VERY thankful that everything I did as a kid wasn't held to adult standards of behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit2011 View Post
    I would shoot. I've noticed there is no orange tip on the barrel, his finger is on the trigger, and it's pointing at me. *Shoot to stop the potential threat*
    Time to find out what kind of gun are little guy has...Its a Crossman BB gun. So you would have shot a child with a BB gun drawn down on you....

This is a video of the same BB gun we used...

Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Whoa! That's one TOUGH objectivity lesson there Harry. Now you've GOT to tell us. It his finger ON the trigger or not?

Whoa! That's one TOUGH objectivity lesson there Harry. Now you've GOT to tell us. It his finger ON the trigger or not?
    As instructed by me yes, his finger is on the trigger in the pic. I told him to look as mean as he could. He did a pretty good job. With all of the kids running around with BB guns now a days, we have to be very careful how we deal with these types of scenarios....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Thanks! How old is he?

From the pic I was fairly certain his finger was not on the trigger. Nonetheless, given the distance I presumed he was from me in the scenario I still would not have fired.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links