Would you shoot....

This is a discussion on Would you shoot.... within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Its all fun and games until little man shoots you or you shoot little man. There's an interesting thread running parallel to this one: he ...

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Would you shoot....

Its all fun and games until little man shoots you or you shoot little man.

There's an interesting thread running parallel to this one:

he is just a normal 9 year old - the aunt says

Now imagine that kid when he finds mamma's gun.
    I had not had a chance to visit that thread yet, that kid is out of control, and you are right about getting a hold of mammas gun....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

2. Remove Ads

Look .....all kidding aside......if it looked like a legit' Threat.....we wouldn't hesitate.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Look .....all kidding aside......if it looked like a legit' Threat.....we wouldn't hesitate.
    Look.....Some would hesitate.....

Not.............i..........like those dots too.

I agree

First, you are saying he broke into my house. While it might be easy, well not easy but I am sure if a grown man wanted in he could get in, for a grown man to break into my house it sure wouldn't be easy for a child. I am already worried. This child broke into my house. Is he alone, is he the look out? I would have no idea if it is a real gun or not and am sure not going to take the time to try to figure that out. In that amount of time I could be dead. As with all situations I would only have seconds to decide if shooting this child, who is pointing a gun at me, is the only way for me not to be in danger.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Not.............i..........like those dots too.
    kerberos likes this.

Which one of those guys was you on there........?

Which one of those guys was you on there........?
    Epic fail...Not tonight...JR....

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    So; you don't like the test. You disagree with a "government classification". You're second guessing your career choice. Your life is important. You've seen tragedy. God gives you justification. You're sick of people. You've lost your sense of humor. I don't want/need your flowers. And your grand daughter (~40% older than the example) knows better. That's all well & fine. All entirely your call.

Yet it sounds to me like you're still just as comfortable & confident taking the shot now that you know the details as you were before you knew them. I pray you (or any of us) never has to make that decision. But if you do, I don't think much of what you've said is gonna' sway...the Grand Jury. They're gonna' be asking what a "reasonable man" would do, I don't think your rationalizations are gonna' meet that standard. And I'd careful about that "moral high ground" stuff. All I said was I'd rather die than mistakenly kill that kid. I don't see much "high ground" in that. IHMO, I hear more morality being preached in the indignant tone of your lecture on why killing him is okay. We simply don't have the same morality.
    Let's go point by point. Government classification includes gang banging teens and young adults. Those are not "children" by any stretch of the imagination. "Second guessing my career choice"? Not hardly. I have saved many lives and many of them good and decent people, but when you do the job I did...you can't pick and chose who is worth it and who isn't. You just do your best for everyone....I did and proud of it. "Sick of people"? Again wrong....I like many people and am liked by many. To be honest though....I get sick of people like you who make your judgements of people by a few sentences. I am well known for my sense of humor....just some things are not to be treated so caviler.

I had made my decision before I knew either the age or the type of weapon, but how do you know what kind of weapon it is, in low light and tensions high. I guess you have the ability to look at someone and KNOW their age. Good for you.

I have been involved in high stress calls and the call to use deadly force or not. I worked as a Special Weapons and Tactics Team Medic and we did carry and go on Missions. If I ever have to make that call....it will be because I believe my life or the life of innocents (like my family) is at stake and I would gladly go before any "Grand Jury" and explain intent, which is the important thing here. That doesn't scare me. I believe this reasonable WOMAN would do just fine.

You would rather die than defend yourself? Your choice. The last thing I would do is knowingly kill anyone if it could be avoided....but how would you know it was mistakenly done? I guess the out come would be rather you are alive or not after it is over. I am looking at a weapon being pointed at me, by someone I don't know. By the time I ask his age...I could be dead. Since in my experience I have been confronted by loaded guns and even have disarmed a couple of people...I know what the choices are and how quick it happens. Save your "dressing down" for someone who is not experienced in stress situations and how to handle them. Any time anyone gives a choice like the one here....it is not realistic and sends a tainted message. My "morality" has kept me alive for many years and I haven't killed anyone yet.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I wouldnt do that... There are a lot of variables to this scenario. I understand that, I think some of the folks here have miss that point.
    Variables are exactly the point. THAT I can agree with. I didn't see enough of them to make the call any other way. Any incident is the total of the sum. How is the lighting? Where is it? Does the person with the gun look like he knows what he is doing? A dark hoodie covering his face. How do I know his age? How far away if he? Is he close enough for me to slap the weapon away like Limatunes said? These all have to be evaluated in a split second. Judging anyone by their response ...for not wanting to die....is wrong and making this a measurement of one's humanity is REALLY wrong.

If I were put in that position that I killed a youngster who was aiming a BB gun or real looking gun, a Grand Jury would be the least of my concerns to me. I believe that intent would hold up, but I would still have to live with the fact. THAT would be the bigger concern to me. But if that happened....I would need therapy for quite a while. Make no mistake....killing anyone would be a last resort for me, but you can only react to what you see to make that judgement in a split second.
    Last edited by Spirit51; September 10th, 2012 at 10:45 PM.
    Glhadiator likes this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I was listening to Chattanooga news radio (fairly local for me) on the way to work this a.m.

It was stated that in this area gang recruitment begins at 8-9 years old. I'm sure it's not just here.

The subject of this thread is a very real possibility.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    We have had a couple of threads about kids with BB guns, and airsoft guns. Some say they would shoot, others say they would not. Here is my question/scenario. You come home. You see this little guy in your home doing exactly what he is doing. What do you do.....There is no right or wrong answer, I am curious, just how many people will lay him out.....

Attachment 62628
    Gonna be cold and dead ...
    I have a .25 cal against my 5th rib from a 14 year old gang banger. Not going to happen again.

sent from ...

little kid in the picture, i wouldn't shoot, i'd beat his a$$.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    One more time and then I am done. What is it about the word "imminent" that is not understood? IMO, the word means "right now"--this is not a question anymore of cajoling or trying to find an alternative--it is within the next second or less. Cajoling and talking and finding a secret method to disarm are all past--you are about to die, for heavens sake. This is not a question about just shooting someone without having had that moment to assess options including retreat etal--this is about the moment before you could die. This is not about wondering whether it is a BB gun or if he is maybe 11 years old and not 9 years old. Depending on the boy's actions and the circumstances surrounding my predicament at that moment, I will make a reasonable assumption and if "imminent" is obvious, my actions are obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    I was listening to Chattanooga news radio (fairly local for me) on the way to work this a.m.

It was stated that in this area gang recruitment begins at 8-9 years old. I'm sure it's not just here.

The subject of this thread is a very real possibility.
    This is one of the main reasons I wanted to start this discussion.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links