Would you shoot.... - Page 7

Would you shoot....

This is a discussion on Would you shoot.... within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; By breaking into my (always secured) home the individual will have already shown himself to be a criminal. My children are grown and have their ...

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Would you shoot....

Distinguished Member
    By breaking into my (always secured) home the individual will have already shown himself to be a criminal.
    My children are grown and have their own homes & children and none of them have door access codes unless we share a regularly changed emergency code, so it would not be them or any of their friends... This is a bona-fide intruder.

Options:

1) If in very close proximity, as the picture might imply, he's gonna get tackled by a 6'3", 350+ pound adult with zero tolerance for this sort of individual... After which he will have his hands zip-tied to his ankles while he awaits the Police.

2) If the proximity is insufficient for the safe tackling of an apparently armed individual and there was readily available cover, I would probably take advantage of that cover and play it from there.

3) Same as #2 but no cover, no avenue of retreat, I'm pretty sure I would draw on the individual, where he would have a brief opportunity to drop his "weapon" and soil himself. If the muzzle of that "weapon" continued to move towards me or a loved one it would very likely be the last bad choice in a tragically short life.

When someone... ANYONE is pointing a "gun" in your direction, you don't stop to look for words "Crossman" or "Mattel" on the slide. You don't stop to measure the bore of the barrel (yes, a 22LR can be lethal kids).

In MY home there are no BB guns, no AirSoft guns and no props/replicas and no reason to believe and intruder would draw on me with a toy.

... Just sayin'
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    You don't stop to measure the bore of the barrel (yes, a 22LR can be lethal kids).
    In my experience it can be more lethal. A Trauma surgeon once told me your chances of surviving a larger caliber is better. Many times (and I mean many many) the 22 breaks through the skull but is not strong enough to exit, thus bouncing around inside the skull reducing the brain to cranial "cold slaw". A larger caliber will enter AND exit giving a better chance of survival. Straight line through with less damage. I have seen it.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

This thread concerns me.

The OP clearly stated there was no right or wrong answer. Since I am sure that many on this forum cannot predict how they will actually react when they find that gun pointed at them due to never having been in such a circumstance, I agree that there isn't a right or wrong answer. And I am talking about anyone pointing that gun, not just an eight year old child.

The way I see it is like this; I come to this forum to learn as much as I can, not pick which moral 'side' I am on. I hope that is the reason that the rest of the forum members are here. On another thread today, which was deleted, the posters resorted to petty racism and childish name calling. Instead of a discussion about the very real possibility of a child pointing a gun I find a thread that has turned into a moral and ethical trial.

Bottom line. When we choose to carry a gun it is a very serious responsibility. What we do with it is a personal choice. There are circumstances out there that I have never even thought of yet. I come here to read and be presented with those circumstances so I can better prepare myself. I'm not going to court with anyone here, nor am I going to attend your funeral. I don't pretend that you will be there for me.

I am prepared to use my weapon in self defense. I will use every opportunity to make sure it is a last resort. However I choose to act will be judged in a court of law.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

What if the gun was pointed at your 8 yr. old son/daughter???
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Then I become a living shield.
    SCXDm9 likes this.

Good luck with that.....
    After he shoots you, who will protect your child?
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

If someone breaks into my home gets by my 5 dogs,then my wife with her 25 acp,then might just wake me up and get my 45 acp,but would need to replace 5 dogs and a wife.
    To answer the question directly they broke in like you break it you pay for it,payment is dear.Some locations may prohibit shooting a burgler,but when one uses one a firearm ,would or could be judged by ones peers,if not willing to use a firearm why supply them with one.
    Its dark they broke in , are obviously up to no good.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Agreed, baby bullets kill as fast as grown-up bullets. Yet the scenario wasn't in Afghanistan, it was in my house. The intruder wasn't a conscripted child-soldier, I just walked in on him (B&E?). The whole OP (I believe) was created to allow us the opportunity to make a snap decision, WITHOUT the tragic legal, moral, financial or psychological repercussions. And, even after the details are disclosed, y'all just keep telling me how dead he is & how righteous your actions are. Am I the only one here who believes that adults have the responsibility for a higher level of good-judgment & discretion than children, even when the child is VERY dangerously devoid...of both?

If he were about to leap to his death, would you climb out on a narrow ledge to stop him? If he were cornered in an alley by vicious dogs, would you risk stepping in front of him? Even if he had kicked & taunted the dogs? Or would you just decide he had made his own (8 year old) bed and deserves the lesson. Again, y'all can have any & every opinion that you care to. I can think of almost nothing that an 8 year old could do, no mistake or bad decision he could make that could justify me killing him. Eight year olds (even "armed" 8 year olds) just don't frighten me THAT much. Just how jaded ARE you?
    My intent is merely to offer my action to resolve this particular conflict scenario you have presented. Obviously we differ in how we would approach this situation. I have trained in the Marines since 1980 and more than likely have been in a few situations you haven’t. Again no intent to be confrontational. Since this particular juvenile delinquent choose my home to B&E with a weapon with an obvious intent on doing me or my family harm he will get shot. Period. I will not analyze why an 8 year old has a weapon pointed in my direction, in my house, when he should be elsewhere. All I see is a weapon, no more, no less. If it was Grandma, Santa Clause, Bambi, the mailman, or my next door neighbor, the same fate will apply. You will get 2 in the chest and 1 in the head, without hesitation. Rule number 1 as it applies to gunfights is there is no such thing as a fair fight. He who hesitates usually dies. Offer him milk and cookies and turn on Nickoloadian if that’s your approach. His will probably be to start unloading in your direction. No time for Plan B now. People who have CCW’s and carry in public should have already made the conscience decision that if need be you could take another person’s life. If you can’t then leave your weapon at home. If there is a weapon pointed at me by someone 8 or 80, you’re going to have a very bad day. And no….I am not “jaded”. I am a realist with real world experience sir.
    ZX9RCAM, Spirit51 and JDE101 like this.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    Good luck with that.....
    Who will protect yours while you are in jail? You will have zero chance getting 12 of your peers to beleive you had no other option but to shoot an eight year old?
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    What if the gun was pointed at your 8 yr. old son/daughter???
    What if the eight year old was your son or daughter, lost and afraid, wondered into a home looking for something to eat... who knows, found a gun just as the gun happy owner came home????

Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    What if the eight year old was your son or daughter, lost and afraid, wondered into a home looking for something to eat... who knows, found a gun just as the gun happy owner came home????
    Gun happy? Am I the only one who finds it somewhat offensive to call a homeowner who is surprised to find an intruder in their home as gun happy?

Michael
    Spirit51 and JDE101 like this.

I would not refer to myself as a "gun happy homeowner". I will protect my family, my home, and myself and any and all costs. A child "lost and afraid and wondered into my home"? This is getting a tad far fetched. Did the puppy she was holding secretly conceal her AK 47? What is next? Here's the bottom line.....if your in Houston and you have the urge to buglarize a house pick someone elses other than mine or the authorities will be notifying your next of kin.
    Spirit51 and JDE101 like this.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

Gun Happy Owner. Yes, I find this offensive. I am happy I own a gun but I don't think I would call myself a " gun happy owner ". How on earth did this child wonder into my locked home? At 8 years old a child knows how to dial 911 if they are lost. Why would they think to look for a gun instead of looking for a phone in the locked home they wondered into?
    Last edited by minimalbrat; September 12th, 2012 at 03:04 PM.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Good luck with that.....

My wife- If I get shot he gets shot most likely by both my wife & me.

I'm glad some of you have real world experience with armed & dangerous 8yr olds. But, this is not Afgan nor any other country that uses children as suicide bombers. (at least not yet)

Like I said, I've spent great deal of my life working with troubled kids. (First as one, then as a minister)

I find the original post as one where I think my chances of being able to disarm & diffuse the situation would be pretty good. (Besides, the chances are good that I would survive a shot from a Hg anyway.)

You wanna kill an 8yo kid, then face a murder charge because he had a toy gun?

"Good luck with THAT!"

Honestly, this thread has gotten a little ridiculous.

-

Quote Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
    my wife with her 25 acp,.
    The perp might get seriously pissed if he notices that she shot him with that.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Links