Would you shoot....

This is a discussion on Would you shoot.... within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SCXDm9 I see no situation that shooting an eight year old is the best answer. I'd say shooting anyone is rarely the ...

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Would you shoot....

Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    I see no situation that shooting an eight year old is the best answer.
    I'd say shooting anyone is rarely the best answer.

It may, however, be your only answer.
    tcox4freedom and minimalbrat like this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Originally Posted by SCXDm9
    I see no situation that shooting an eight year old is the best answer.
    If you can not see any situation for shooting an eight year old you need to work on mindset. I can see situations where you would have to or at least should shoot any and all others. Only thing is you need to be able to explain to a jury of 12 why you where justified in doing so.

Justification for shooting comes from their action not from their looks or who they are. If his action warrant you doing so could you shoot a LEO uniform? I sit here at the keyboard and say yes. But it all comes down to your mindset and how you work on it.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    I'd say shooting anyone is rarely the best answer.

It may, however, be your only answer.
    I dare say its almost never the only answer. Its pretty obvious we disagree and have prob made some pretty unflatterly assumptions about each other. I'm fairly comfortable about how I feel about you based on your post as you prob are about me. That being said lets both hope neither of us are ever on the wrong side of a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    If you can not see any situation for shooting an eight year old you need to work on mindset. I can see situations where you would have to or at least should shoot any and all others. Only thing is you need to be able to explain to a jury of 12 why you where justified in doing so.

Justification for shooting comes from their action not from their looks or who they are. If his action warrant you doing so could you shoot a LEO uniform? I sit here at the keyboard and say yes. But it all comes down to your mindset and how you work on it.
    I think my mind set is just right, I do not sit around entertaining thoughts about how and when its ok to shoot 8 year olds. Should it happen to me I'll hurry back here and beg forgiveness, However, I can see a life of misery, wondering what else I could have/ should have done other than shoot.

Your tag line ajdusted...
    "Is this "8 yr olds" bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Get out of his sights while drawing my gun as I take cover.

Then ill attempt to talk him down and see if there is anyone else in the house, cause a big question will be how in the Hell did he get inside my house.

I'm making no friends and prob never going to get any help should I need it so this is my last post. If any one would like to continue this debate in a respectful way or unrespectful one, PM me. I do love a good debate!

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Best read the entire post. The photographer says his finger IS on the trigger. But even when I zoomed-in, I couldn't tell for sure.
    Finger is on the trigger. He has small hands, the pad of his index finger is resting on the trigger.

As for those of you who say this cannot happen, he will never get into MY house, get real. One of our members posted a story about a 50 year old women getting a beat down, by a 12 yr, 10yr and a 7 yr old. If you think this cannot happen open your eyes. There are no other variables to this scenario, you come home, find the little bugger in the house with that gun pointed at you.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    We have had a couple of threads about kids with BB guns, and airsoft guns. Some say they would shoot, others say they would not. Here is my question/scenario. You come home. You see this little guy in your home doing exactly what he is doing. What do you do.....There is no right or wrong answer, I am curious, just how many people will lay him out.....
    LOL @ "lay him out"

In all seriousness though, it would no doubt startle me a bit. But I'd have to say that I would have to let a couple of things process before I would bring my own deadly force into play. There would have to be at least a few seconds of real-time happening before I could say either way as it's just too hard to conclude from a picture. It would also depend the time that it happened: Is it when I come home from work and walk in or is that what I'm looking at after a noise wakes me up at 3 am. and I flip on a light? And too, if he's that close to me as in the picture, it would be faster for me to disarm or disable him if it lead up to me believing that there was a threat. I don't know, tough question.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    I think my mind set is just right, I do not sit around entertaining thoughts about how and when its ok to shoot 8 year olds.I don't either, but I do think about what I could confront that would call for a reaction and just what the reaction should be. I don't see who or what is causing the threat being any part of what my reaction should be. I am not reacting to the person but rather the threat. If you shoot someone because of how they look but have no threat to react to you are in big trouble. But if you have a threat to and of yours or someone else's life and shoot, even if that person looks like the Pope, I see it as a good shoot. Should it happen to me I'll hurry back here and beg forgiveness, However, I can see a life of misery, wondering what else I could have/ should have done other than shoot. SCXD, this is where I see your mindset being wrong. I don't shoot someone because I don't like them or how they look but I shoot to stop the threat, if he had not been a threat I would not have shoot. In my mind I do not shoot a person but I'm stopping the threat which is a target. Like any other target I shoot I shoot to make kill shots. Yes I know it is a play on words but the words we put in our head and tell ourselves will make or break us if and when something like this happens. Take away the thought of allowing yourself to feel misery or doubt of what you do, but know you are justified in doing what you do before you do it.

Your tag line ajdusted...
    "Is this "8 yr olds" bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes If the behavior causes a life threating threat then YES that is a true statement.
    Hopefully you will come back and comment on my thoughts.
    ZX9RCAM likes this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    Hopefully you will come back and comment on my thoughts.
    PM sent

First off, I value my life. I value the lives of my family. And the purpose of ccw is to protect my family. Now if a person (kids included) shows enough disregard for me and my family's lives to break in, with a gun, and point it at us... If I feel I could get to my gun in time, he's getting a few, then I'm getting my family out of the house.

From the image, he could be an 8 yo kid or a 28 yo little person. If it was a kid it may be possible there are others in the house with him. I personally would rather spend the rest of my life wondering why this kid broke in and pointed a gun at me, and if I could have done anything different. Rather than visiting one of my kids grave sites or them visiting mine because I failed to react.

A 20 year old just got killed last night by a LEO while pointing a BB Gun.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution Gwinnett County police said Thursday that Victor Charles Le, the 20-year-old man shot and killed by an officer after allegedly pointing a gun at police outside his family’s home, was armed with a bb gun.

The incident happened shortly before midnight in the 3800 block of Southgate Circle, Lilburn, according to Gwinnett police Cpl. Jake Smith.

“Officers responded to a domestic dispute call and were confronted by a male armed with a gun,” Smith said in an email to the AJC. “He was shot by a responding officer and is deceased. [The] officers were not injured.”

Police said Le was arguing with his parents and other family members inside the home, and, according to the 911 caller, was threatening to commit a robbery.

“The son was acting erratically and one of the family members called the police,” Smith told Channel 2 Action News.

An officer arrived and “before he could even approach the driveway of the home, the subject of the call came outside and he was armed with a small handgun,” Smith said.

Le “asked him why [the officer] was there, and began yelling, telling him he wasn’t needed,” Smith told Channel 2.

The officer tried for two minutes to talk the son into dropping the gun, according to Smith.

“At the end of the two minutes, the suspect presented the gun and pointed the gun at the officer,” Smith said. “The officer shot one time and the subject was struck and killed.”

On Thursday, police released a photo of the small, black bb pistol they said Le was wielding when he was shot.

The officer was placed on administrative leave, a normal action following an officer-involved shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by grellopc View Post
    “The officer shot one time and the subject was struck and killed.”
    If you had not stated the newspaper (Atlanta Journal-Constitution) I would have gotten to this point and ruled out New York City and Milton Hall, Michigan.

Would you shoot if you were on duty? There's no orange tip in the weapon... would you shoot if this was a jack russell terrier with no hoodie?.. I'm just about finished making real comments here on SC. Think... triage.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Links