Defensive Carry banner

Would you shoot....

9K views 140 replies 49 participants last post by  ZX9RCAM 
#1 ·
We have had a couple of threads about kids with BB guns, and airsoft guns. Some say they would shoot, others say they would not. Here is my question/scenario. You come home. You see this little guy in your home doing exactly what he is doing. What do you do.....There is no right or wrong answer, I am curious, just how many people will lay him out.....

Headgear Photography Black hair

See less See more
#2 ·
At that age, even if it were a real gun, I do not think he would have bad/evil intentions. He is probably role playing a make believe fantasy. However, that does not mitigate any real danger. Me thinks the best thing to do would be to take cover and try to distract him, coerce him to putting the gun down.

#8 ·
Sometimes they get a hold of things they are not allowed to play with. It is an unfortunate part of our society......

#9 ·
Just so everyone knows. No one was hurt, swept, or otherwise put in danger during the photo taking. This is my little guy he is 8. I will post a pic of the weapon used in the photo later down the line.

#11 ·
Escape and Evade. Try to figure out what is going on but then again between the hoodie, the gun, and his eyes I might use a silver dagger or something first.

#12 ·
No. Id take his gun and put him in the corner. If it was real, i would let his parents know what happened before i called the cops. If it was fake, id take him home and let his dad sort him out.

#16 ·
I hate cheerleaders and their stupid attitudes, so, YES. Honor role student? Kids with brains dont do things that get them shot.

#22 ·
Am I carrying C3 so I have that extra second to think while I am racking the slide? (sorry, had to toss that in there being the smart butt I am). No, I would not. Here is why: I am assuming that I see the child as is in the picture..that is he is that close to me. I would not have time to draw whether it was a child or not and at that distance child or not H2H would be best. Covering the approximate 5 feet or less in the scenario puts drawing out of the question.

Second, since I am that observant I noticed his finger is not on the trigger, not that it would matter. The child and or BG is so close.

#24 ·
My actions will be based on the presumption, on my part, as a reasonable person that I am in imminent danger of death or great bodily injury. Whatever it is that causes that kind of reaction from me, I will present my firearm and kill it. Key words are "reasonable" and "imminent"--they both leave latitude for making decisions. I would hope and pray that the word "reasonable" adds a dimension that allows for something other than a tragedy. Bottom line, though, is that if the key word is imminent, all bets are off. Why in the world am I even possessing a firearm if I am not going to protect myself against imminent death?

#25 ·
Once a gun is pointed at me, there is no such thing as age, race, or sex, just a threat that needs to be stopped. Just a few weeks back, I was looking at a BB gun that I thought was the real deal until I took a closer look at it. But at 1st and even 2nd glance it looked very much real.

#26 ·
I can not say for certain. If at the moment of encounter, I felt my life as in jeopardy, he was able to harm me, and the intended to harm me, then I would shoot. I would like to think I would give the kid a break though

#27 ·
I sorry but I read a lot of post on a lot of forums and I going to get in trouble here but here goes... Any man that could walk in to a room, see that child with a gun and shoot him is no man in my book! I can not see any situation that can change my mind.

Reactions: hazard123
#31 ·
There's soooo much more than a snapshot view (pardon the pun) of a situation to decide if I believe the threat represents life-or-death. It's tough to imagine that pup being ready to kill me. Frankly, if a mistake in judgement is made, I would rather be the one who's shot because I couldn't shoot, than face the rest of my life never knowing if I absolutely HAD TO KILL that child.

On a lighter-hearted note, I might distract him with Oreos & hit him with a blast of grape Kool-aid.:biggrin2:

#32 ·
I guess I'm in the minority with my opinion, but YES, I'd shoot if I felt my life or the life of a family member was in danger! That is the only reason I carry a firearm--to protect myself and my family!

I don't care if the threat is black, white, yellow, purple, male, female, 8 or 80--if they shoot you, you are just as dead regardless of their age, race, or sex!!!! So if I felt my life was in danger, why in the heck wouldn't I shoot?

I didn't spend the time and money to take classes and go to the range and practice and develop my skills to get shot by some punk kid with a gun who isn't old enough to realize the consequences of his actions! I'd be dead and he'd spend till his 18th birthday in a juvenile detention facility, have his record sealed by a judge, and go on with his life. I'd be dead and my family would be without a father/husband/grandfather. :rolleyes:

Would I feel bad about killing a kid? Yah, probably--but not as bad as I'd feel if the kid killed my wife, and not as bad as my wife would feel if the kid killed me! If I wouldn't use my gun to protect myself and/or a family member, I might as well sell it or lock it up and not bother carrying! I made the decision BEFORE I started carrying that I WOULD use it to protect myself and/or my wife or a family member. I made that decision BEFORE I took the concealed carry class. And it had nothing to do with checking the age, race, sex, etc. of an assailant!:yup:

#34 ·
This thread has generated opinions that are a lot more polarized than I had expected. To the "I'll shoot" crowd, how young would the child have to be before you'd want more details? Agreed, in the photo he has a pistol in hand with no finger on the trigger. But that's ALL we know. Are y'all saying that is all you would NEED to know before shooting him/her?

#36 ·
No, I guess I'd ask him for a resume, his personal background, what his career goals are, what his family life is like, is he from a "normal" two parent home or from a single parent home, is he being abused by an alcoholic father, is the gun real, does he intend to shoot me, etc., etc.:rolleyes:

Sarcasm now OFF. If someone is pointing a gun at me in MY home, what the H e double hockey pucks else do I need to know before defending myself?:blink: If I feel my life is in danger or my wife's life is in danger, I SHOOT! Period.

#41 ·
Time to find out what kind of gun are little guy has...Its a Crossman BB gun. So you would have shot a child with a BB gun drawn down on you....

This is a video of the same BB gun we used...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.