Police Shoot Knife Wielding Man - Good or Bad

This is a discussion on Police Shoot Knife Wielding Man - Good or Bad within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Read this article today and what I took away from it was that the ploice defended themselves with their handguns and the knife wielding man ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Police Shoot Knife Wielding Man - Good or Bad

Police Shoot Knife Wielding Man - Good or Bad

Read this article today and what I took away from it was that the ploice defended themselves with their handguns and the knife wielding man was hit, but was still able to attack. Eventually the man died, but there was no magic bullet that stopped the man in his tracks with one shot. Something to remember while training or (heaven forbid) you find yourself in a similar situation.

Police shoot triple stabbing suspect at party | News - Home
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

2. Remove Ads

Shoot them to the ground.
    Harryball likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    If he had already stabbed 3 people and was attacking the officers I see no problem with shooting them to the ground [+ 1 40Bob]

Yep, shoot until the threat is stopped. Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting a couple of times.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Knives have been making people dead since before recorded history. Shoot him until he stops giving you a legal reason to.
    skew12 likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

that marriage is marked for doom

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Everything indicates this to be an entirely righteous shooting. It is quite apparent that deadly force, to stop the actor, would have been justifiable well before police arrived, but this particular cultural segment of the population tends to not own firearms. This suspect was seemingly already self-anesthetized against pain, before the officers arrived.

It was a wild weekend for Houston-area law enforcement! This was not HPD's only OIS that night, and officers were injured (minor, thankfully) at both locations. Something seemed to be in the air... Last night, I brought the shotgun out of the car with me more than once, as a precaution.

One BG less in the world. The police did their jobs. I hope they don't catch flack in the media for this shooting; it sounds completely justified.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

What I took away from the account is that the officers did not use "unnecessary force". Fired once, then reevaluated the threat. My CCW instructor (LEO) made it a point to emphasize "excessive force" as part of the training. A completely different mindset from my military training.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Never bring a knife to a gun fight.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

Nothing against the OP, but why ask if this was a good shoot. If you have a deadly weapon and the police show up. If you do not put down this weapon you are going to be shot. Why the surprise????
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Good job to the cops

If I ever have to shoot anyone, I'll probably reload at least once...

Good job Cops. Shoot because he will not hesitate to stab you if he gets a chance. "just wondering did the bad gun have an "assault" knife because he can't possibly hurt someone with kitchen knife." anti 2a hat off. God bless all first responders that keep the streets safe

Quote Originally Posted by DaGunny View Post
    What I took away from the account is that the officers did not use "unnecessary force". Fired once, then reevaluated the threat. My CCW instructor (LEO) made it a point to emphasize "excessive force" as part of the training. A completely different mindset from my military training.
    That is where you are wrong. A gunfight is a gunfight. Shoot once and assess will get you dead fast. Once you are authorized deadly force, there is no such thing as excessive deadly force.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    that marriage is marked for doom

3 words...

(As chanted by a crowd) "JERRY! JERRY! JERRY!..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links