Is there a good reason for FOF training? - Page 4

Is there a good reason for FOF training?

This is a discussion on Is there a good reason for FOF training? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; [QUOTE=SCXDm9;2392719]For people that protect the rest of us I think at home or over seas I think it's a great idea. For personal defense or ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Is there a good reason for FOF training?

[QUOTE=SCXDm9;2392719]For people that protect the rest of us I think at home or over seas I think it's a great idea. For personal defense or home protection, that's thats great too...if you want to but far from necessary.

I think the overwhelming majority of case show most individuals who successfully defend themselves of their homes have little or no training

Inside the home and outside the home are completely different animals. The majority of attacks outside the home come with little or no warning and usually begin at less than 5 feet. No one gets robbed, raped or carjacked from a great distance. Inside the home, when the home owner successfully defends themselves, in an overwhelming number of cases it is because there was some warning, glass breaking, door being kicked, dog barking, etc. That gives the home owner time to arm themselves and more often than not wait for the BG to come to them.

Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    For people that protect the rest of us I think at home or over seas I think it's a great idea. For personal defense or home protection, that's thats great too...if you want to but far from necessary.

I think the overwhelming majority of case show most individuals who successfully defend themselves of their homes have little or no training

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    You have just talked yourself into a loosing mindset. In the home is one thing, on the street is a different animal. You might want to reconsider your line of thinking, getting by is not a good Self defense mindset....IMO
    tacman605 and Mike1956 like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    think the overwhelming majority of case show most individuals who successfully defend themselves of their homes have little or no training

You are probably right in this statement to a point. Is the fact that they were able to defend themselves luck or skill? We may never know as a lot would depend on who the bad guy is they are facing. If they are intimidated by a 70 year old with a knitting needle and decide to leave they are not much of a bad guy. Should that same 70 year old come up against that one determined individual the results would surely be different.

As with any event in your life the better prepared, trained, skilled or whatever you want to call it the better the final result will be
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I urge people to read Grossman's book "on killing". The key points he makes
    The number of soldiers ever shooting at the enemy was in the teens in WW2
    in Vietnam it was up to the 80% number. It is the 90% range now.

The difference is reality based training from drills to computer simulations

If the military with all of our $$ they spend, would thy do it if not needed?

LEO's use it as well from my days of glorified target shooting
    Just give it a try if possible

FOF training is not necessary. Unless you want to increase your chances of surviving an encounter...Then it might be of some use. (I know sarcasm doesn't translate well in a forum, but please reread my statement in a sarcastic voice...~sigh~)
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    While you may be right in the fact that there are many who are successfully in their defending themselves. BUT does it matter to the one who was not? This lack luster response to any and all things in life is what I see as one of the problems with todays american people. A just get by attitude is not what made this country in the past.

Yes there is just so much time and money but we find both for that which is important in our life. The question fall to your answer to this question, how important is the defense of me and my family? We all live or die by our decision.

While I don't know the facts in anyone's elses life I will never tell someone they don't need to train. I can not make anyone train or not train but I will not lead them to believe they have no need to train as all situation are different.
    I think you are preaching to the choir... I think its a great thing but by no means necessary. I mean to say "The question fail to your answer to this question, how important is the defense of me and my family? We all live or die by our decision." is a bit of fear mongering IMO...if you look at the odds your money would be far better spent on advanced first aid training or defensive driving skills, even better nutrition.

For you make a statement that seems to imply it is somehow irrersponsible not to have FOF training to protect your family would be like me implying your paranoia is more likely to harm your family than my lack of FOF training will affect mine.

I did it a year and a half ago in ECRG with SI. You start off in a duel with another person at 15 feet. You learn quickly how to not get hit. Then you learn how that with large dynamic movement off the X both of you can not hit each other easily. Add moving to cover and it becomes another animal. You are also drawing your airsoft from CCW.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    I did it a year and a half ago in ECRG with SI. You start off in a duel with another person at 15 feet. You learn quickly how to not get hit. Then you learn how that with large dynamic movement off the X both of you can not hit each other easily. Add moving to cover and it becomes another animal. You are also drawing your airsoft from CCW.
    In force-on-force, everybody there gets trained. It is very easy to imagine how those same scenarios will translate in a real situation if your opponent has not undergone that same type of training.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    is a bit of fear mongering IMO...if you look at the odds your money would be far better spent on advanced first aid training or defensive driving skills, even better nutrition.

Well if you think about it the whole idea of carrying a firearm for self defense is based on a big chunk of fear mongering. Odds are you will never need is so may as well spend the money and time training in something else.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    I think you are preaching to the choir... I think its a great thing but by no means necessary. I mean to say "The question fail to your answer to this question, how important is the defense of me and my family? We all live or die by our decision." is a bit of fear mongering IMO...if you look at the odds your money would be far better spent on advanced first aid training or defensive driving skills, even better nutrition.

For you make a statement that seems to imply it is somehow irrersponsible not to have FOF training to protect your family would be like me implying your paranoia is more likely to harm your family than my lack of FOF training will affect mine.
    Ultimately, it all becomes a matter of priorities.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Ultimately, it all becomes a matter of priorities.
    I assume your wife has had FOF training as will your childern as soon as they old enough?

I assume your wife has had FOF training as will your childern as soon as they old enough?
    Both my have started, one is 8 the other is 10. The world is not going to get any easier, I will not allow them to be victims. They will know how to use there minds, their hands and any weapon they might come up on. The prepared mind, body and soul is a good thing.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Why would you assume any of that? I am flattered that you would assume I have small children. My youngest is 25.
    William T. Sherman

FOF for my son started at 5 with NERF and progressed from there. He's 13 now.
    'Detailed' accounts, such as found in the various NRA mags, seldom ever make any mention of training or the lack of same.

They could be totally untrained.

Or former SOCCOM.

All I can say to people who don't think FOF is an important part of training is, try it. But only if your serious about self defense, because once you try FOF things will change.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links