Training in the Tri-State...

This is a discussion on Training in the Tri-State... within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As the title states Im curious as to the training options available in the tri-state (ohio, kentucky, indiana) there is never such thing as too ...

Thread: Training in the Tri-State...

Training in the Tri-State...

As the title states Im curious as to the training options available in the tri-state (ohio, kentucky, indiana) there is never such thing as too much training so do any of you all form this general area have any recommendations for pistol courses in the area that you really liked or heard good things about.. honestly I'd like to head out and take a course from Chris Costa I just don't have the $600 that requires plus travel right now. one day though one day...

2. Remove Ads

What kind of course are you looking for? TDI is always a good option
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

just handgun training for now I just got my permit not too long ago and am in search of some training to better prepare myself and increase my abilities.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrjunkie View Post
    just handgun training for now I just got my permit not too long ago and am in search of some training to better prepare myself and increase my abilities.
    Check out Handgun I-III in the link I provided.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

Handgun 1-3 is the best program in the area for what you are looking for. Bar none. But, you pay for it.

Other options:

Check the Buckeye Firearms Association website, sometimes they host events put on by the travelling trainers, which are more advanced. A fair number of them are held in Southern Ohio.

My group runs an "intermediate pistol" class a few times a year, although I think the next one is full. It is a good refresher on more advanced skills than what a CHL class offers, however, TDI is more in depth, with more trigger time. I will be perfectly honest about that, they are a top tier training group that people travel to, we cater to a more local crowd. Not saying we suck at what we do, but honestly, they are on a different level.

Find an IDPA club in your area, and attend their shoots. I know there is some debate on "shooting sports vs real training" but, it will give you practice on drawing from concealment, and engaging targets while adding movement and some stress, and rounds are better spent there than on a static range IMHO. If you are close to the Cincinnati area, there are a few other options, like Friday night steel competitions.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Links