Defensive Carry banner

Warning: only a Marine will understand this completely

5K views 48 replies 39 participants last post by  sixgun 
#1 ·
Rules of Combat​
USMC
1.Bring a weapon. Preferably, bring at least two. Bring all of your friends who have weapons. Bring their friends who have weapons.
2.Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive.
3.Only hits count. Close doesn't count. The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss.
4.If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough, nor using cover correctly.
5.Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral and diagonal movement are preferred.)
6.If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a big weapon and a friend with a big weapon.
7.In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived and who didn't.
8.If you are not shooting, you should be communicating, reloading, and running.
9.Accuracy is relative: most combat shooting is more dependent on "pucker factor" than the inherent accuracy of the weapon.
10.Use a weapon that works EVERY TIME. "All skill is in vain when an Angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."
11.Someday someone may kill you with your own weapon, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
12.In combat, there are no rules, always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.
13.Have a plan.
14.Have a back-up plan, because the first one won't work.
15.Use cover or concealment as much as possible. The visible target should be in FRONT of YOUR weapon.
16.Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.
17.Don't drop your guard.
18.Always tactical load and threat scan 360 degrees.
19.Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them).
20.Decide to be aggressive ENOUGH, quickly ENOUGH.
21.The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.
22.Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one.
23.Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
24.Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
25.Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun, the caliber of which does not start with a ".4."
Army
1.See USMC Rules for combat
2.Add 60 to 90 days
3.Hope the Marines already destroyed all meaningful resistance
Navy
1.Spend three weeks getting somewhere
2.Adopt an aggressive offshore posture
3.Send in the Marines
4.Drink Coffee
5.Bring back the Marines
Air Force
1.Kiss the spouse good-bye
2.Drive to the flight line
3.Fly to target area, drop bombs, fly back.
4.Pop in at the club for a couple with the guys
5.Go home, BBQ some burgers and drink some more beer
SEMPER FI

See less See more
#6 ·
I never knew that marines "know" everything..... :lmao: :lmao:

#10 ·
Cute and brainwashing for privates
Kind of amusing for junior NCO's
If you still repeat this as a Senior NCO.......well
Starts fights at the VFW when you are in your 70's

My neighbor is retired xyz and all I hear from him is xyz is better than abc and we rock and blah blah. Quite honestly as a retired senior NCO who has worked with all branches and senior NCO's and officers I think it is immature. Most SGM's, MCPO's, CMsgt's who actually work and fight with other services and know each other that I know think good hearted rivalry brought out into public is quite.....silly. One explained it to me this way...folks that don't work with multiple services actually start believing the hype of their own service and think less of the others and influences perceptions of those that have never served.

My 2 cents.

Besides.....the OP is an old one:image035: At least come up with something fresh!:wave:

BTW: This was meant to be in good fun. I know some folks think it still is cute................

#14 ·
I'm pretty sure the original post was meant in jest. The Air Force has one like it for all the rest of you guys. Here's what I know: when the chips are down and the stuffs flying, we all look to each other and acknowledge our role in the battle.

And I say that as a retired SNCO.

Reactions: 65108
#12 ·
[Not having served I feel inadequate to post here, but will be brave anyway]

All, I narrowly missed being drafted for Vietnam. I have tremendous respect for all branches, in that every one of who serves has signed off their right to a comfy self-determined life and signed on to a calling which could result in pain, dismemberment or death. And they did it... why? The cute uniform? A job? Maybe. Or maybe they have bigger parts than I do... including a bigger heart. Thanks, all.

And for the Marines: they work hard, and often are out front. I would encourage the other branch members to take a deep breath, raise a glass of beer their direction, and be pleased for them that they're so proud - and have reason to be.

[Marines: ignore this next line, please.]
It's possible that they may have a few misconceptions about the role of the other branches and the honor associated with them, but that may be something one can overlook in brotherly compassion... if they walked a mile in your shoes they might tone it down a bit - or you might notice substance.
[OK, Marines can resume reading]

I've known a few Marines, notably a colonel and (I believe) a sergeant-major who ran the Junior ROTC at the high school where I taught. They took our inner city dregs and made fine young men and women out of them. Based on what I saw in them, I'll allow an awful lot of "Yay, Our Team!" before getting too upset.

Thanks to all of you who served.

-Paymeister

#13 ·
As a former Navy sailor and war veretan who was stationed aboard several ships with marine detachments, I can relate to that-with one exception. Between 2 and 3, we'll call it 2.5, you should add:

2.5) from 100 miles away, send in Tomohawk Cruise missles to incapacitate and disorient the enemy

I will give credit where credit is due, but we had a saying onboard: "Pick your rate (job title), pick your fate" to those who complained.

#17 ·
I'm taking the OP in jest, we were all in it together. While in the USAF stationed in Okinawa in 1969-70 at Naha, I was on the Base Boxing Team. We used to have intra-service boxing at the Stillwell Field House at Kadena AB up island. Pride was on the high side when in a contest with a Marine or Navy fighter, especially if you won, and the other service didn't throw in a "ringer"for that class. After all was done, a cold beer or two with your opponent and friends was the "final round". In downtown, Namnuhi (sp), the various team members were the "peace keepers" among the service oriented bars. BTW, I was in The Blind Bat Squadron-Sp.Ops., SSgt. Ground Power Support, C-130's TDY PACAF, Spooky/Spectre, F-104's,374thTCS.

#19 ·
Number 5 is definitely wrong...any Marine would know that we close distance with the enemy, not increase distance from the enemy.

Also, to anybody that might be taking this a little more seriously than they ought to, I have friends from every service, and some of them either A) Acknowledge that the Marines are a little more bad*** in ways, or B) They have just as many jokes as the Marines do.

After all, the Marines are just a bunch of meat heads that eat rocks. :image035:

#21 ·
You know why they call 'em "jar heads" don't you...

The DS is tasked with emptying the "jar" and filling it with this drivel...Starts on the first day of training...

Runnin' as fast as I can... pointin' over there... "he said that... wasn't me, sir"

Captain Oak of the Mall Force Ninjas, the real homeland security, atcher service!

And BTW, whatever your branch... Thanks for your service, really... THAT, I'm serious about.

#22 ·
I see you never spent anytime around US Army infantry.
I fought along side Marines and have full respect for their infantry but to try and say they any better any tougher no.
Most forget the Marines primary duty is as an Expeditionary Force. They have little to no support ability. If it were not for other Forces supporting the movement they would be done in a week at best Just Fact. The Army fills many rolls including occupation . That requires 7-9 support personal for every infantry soldier in the field. The same support units that provide meals to our infantry fed the Marines also had they not they would have starved. It easy to take center stage when others carry the bags. Even Army infantry forget they could not last long with out with out the support Units. Air Force provided 70% of our medical support. When we needed to run down one of those darn rivers few Navy service member were there.
Air Force Special Fores Operation has a few you would not want to mess with either.
All the old rules have change. We sent years building up to a purple Force concept. What that means is a mixture of Forces the once thick line between Army.Navy ,Marines, Air Force are now light gray and drawn in pencil.
Salute the Flag not the uniform

#24 ·
You got pretty close on the AF except for #5. Unlike the other services, we send our officers off to the target to get shot at, while the enlisted maintenance folks hang out at the club until they return.

#25 ·
Children ... chiledren... children!!! Puhleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We all get paid by the same man..UNCLE SAM... We all serve/served with pride...DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY... We all serve NOW by choice NOT by law (Even though the draft was going full speed in my time, I personally VOLUNTEERED for the service I chose and VOLUNTEERED for Nam, even though I could have gotten out of it by virtue of the "only son" rule)... We all bleed red! ... And, in the end, I think it would be safe to say that the MAJORITY of us are PROUD to have served, or be serving, or to have made the choice to serve in the near future... I think if the chips were down it wouldn't make any difference what color uniform we were in, we'd have each others back!!!! That goes for LEO's, Firfighters, EMT's, etc... JMO

#26 ·
NCO turned officer in the Army, had my fun and left on a high note.
One thing I'd add about the Air Force-- watch cable TV.
One thing I'd add about the Navy-- wear blue BDU's that mean you can't see em when they fall over. Always astounded by the squids I worked with that couldn't swim.
One thing I'd add about the Marines-- tell everyone on the road that you are a Marine by putting at a minimum 3 stickers somewhere on your back window and bumper.
One thing I'd add about the Army-- when two people can do the job, send in 10 and make sure it takes longer.

Reactions: 65108 and Cold Shot
#43 ·
Amen to the army adding more men and taking longer lol.. 6 yrs and I loved every minute of it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.