Why did I not have to take a training course?

This is a discussion on Why did I not have to take a training course? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I didn't have to take a training course to get my license. I highly think this should be required. I had training from an instructor, ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Why did I not have to take a training course?

Why did I not have to take a training course?

I didn't have to take a training course to get my license. I highly think this should be required. I had training from an instructor, although it was of my own accord and not an official class. It was more of a "hey come shoot my guns, if you don't know how I'll teach you" kinda thing.
    It would make me feel better if I knew that everybody else that carried concealed in the area around me had received some sort of official training.

Would anybody else feel that way? Thoughts?

&

Do any Alabama people know if there are any courses offered in central Alabama?

2. Remove Ads

NH you don't have to have the course to have a ccl. I too would hope people would sign up for the class if they were serious enough to get their ccl. But given that it is not required and it is something like $160 I'm sure many don't. But I agree with you.

I understand your feelings, but I think there are enough regulations with firearms in this country.
    pittypat21, paullie and 9MMare like this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Many feel that mandatory training can be used by the government as de facto gun control. Make the courses so costly and/or difficult that most will fail or not bother to apply. There is precedent for this - the $200 tax stamp for suppressors and Class 3 weapons was a lot of money back in the day, and it was used to keep these items out of the hands of the "great unwashed."

I think the government should highly encourage and/or subsidize (maybe via tax deduction) basic firearms safety training, at a minimum. After all, the citizens are supposed to be trained (original meaning of "regulated" in the 2A) so they can come together and form an ersatz militia in time of need. Tactical training would be even better.

But mandatory? No. Even little frail old granny has a right to defend herself. Just ask her.
    rigel42, Bark'n, luvmy40 and 1 others like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

They'll give you a license to carry but pretty much from the very beginning, the "personal responsibility" that we always hear should mean something to people. That's for each of us to decide as to what level we take it. Is it a good idea for people to be trained and familiar with their weapon and laws? Of course. Just not required in a lot of places. It's up to the individual. After all, we're the ones who will pay the price of negligence and accept that responsibility from the start.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Should folks receive training YES....

Should it be required NO....

You took the responsibility. I applaud that. This is the way it should be...
    rigel42, darbo, TSiWRX and 4 others like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    If you are required to have "official" training before being able to defend yourself with a firearm, then you should probably be required to have training before you can vote, or write in a newspaper or on the internet. You should be required to have training on you legal rights before you can impliment them. You should be required to have training on how to properly house military troops in your home until you have completed the training that lets you exercise your right to not be required to do so...

I think you get my point.

Harryball had it right. Should people recieve training? Absolutely and emphatically yes.
    Should it be required? 100% and more emphatically NO!

We can not expect the government to relieve us of our responsibility for thinking, safety or self-reliance. That is part of the reason this country is now in decline.
    luvmy40 and FTG-05 like this.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by bootslxa View Post
    I didn't have to take a training course to get my license. I highly think this should be required. I had training from an instructor, although it was of my own accord and not an official class. It was more of a "hey come shoot my guns, if you don't know how I'll teach you" kinda thing.
    It would make me feel better if I knew that everybody else that carried concealed in the area around me had received some sort of official training.

Would anybody else feel that way? Thoughts?

&

Do any Alabama people know if there are any courses offered in central Alabama?
    I tend to be of the opinion that the Second Amendment did not dictate any training to be able to carry a firearm, so who am I to say that it should be required...

I think it is a good idea to get training, but I don't believe it should be required.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Training is fine and not a requirement. Most citizen used firearms for self defense were by untrained folks and they did ok for the most part.

The advantage with a non state run or mandated training program is you can pick they type of training you feel you need.

Sent via Messenger Pigeon

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Should folks receive training YES....Should it be required NO.
    This is probably our biggest obstacle to national Concealed Carry reciprocation. State "A" requires training but does not want untrained persons from State "B" carrying when visiting . Also, the process to be approved would have to be more consistant and uniform.
    Last edited by OD*; September 26th, 2012 at 11:17 PM.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

A class is required in MO.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Buying a gun for protection is a big responsibility but an even more and bigger responsibility is getting the training. Not only in the safe handling of the weapon but also the hows of using it in a life and death situation. Just like all the other tools one uses in their daily life knowing how to use them properly fall to the user. Buying and having that tool, no matter what it is, does not mean you know the best way to use it without training and practice.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Quote Originally Posted by STLRampage View Post
    A class is required in MO.
    But if you think that training is all you need, I suggest you think real hard about just what can happen in a SHTF situation. Then go get some training that will actually help you go home safe to your family as well as maybe save your families life to.

Quote Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
    Training is fine and not a requirement. Most citizen used firearms for self defense were by untrained folks and they did ok for the most part.

The advantage with a non state run or mandated training program is you can pick they type of training you feel you need.

Sent via Messenger Pigeon
    While that statement seems to be true from what one hears and see reported but I have not seen any report, nor do I know of any record to be kept, on how many die because they were not trained to handle the situation they faced. You hear the stories from those who live to tell it but there is not much heard from those who are dead.

I think I'm seeing a pattern forming here with the responses. I did not think about the fact that the government could use the fees from required courses to regulate the populace's ability to get a license. I guess I'll just have to hope that my fellow man loves to practice as much as I do.

Thanks to all for responding.
    Last edited by bootslxa; September 26th, 2012 at 07:41 PM. Reason: I need to practice spelling too... :(

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links