Another reason you may need to train - Page 2

Another reason you may need to train

This is a discussion on Another reason you may need to train within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That happens to me but not with guns. I am trying to throw punchs and as I get closer and closer to actually striking the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Another reason you may need to train

That happens to me but not with guns. I am trying to throw punchs and as I get closer and closer to actually striking the person I am punching I dramaticly slow down somehow and my punch turns into a tap. very frustrating dream lol.

^^ I used to have the same one, no matter how hard I threw the punch it was always a soft hit that was usually ignored. Always woke up furious from those dreams!
    Disarming innocent people does not protect innocent people.

Don't ever think that the reason I'm peaceful is because I'm afraid to be violent!

"The bullets dribble out the end of the barrel, or they bounce impotently off the bad guy's chest."

I used to have that dream, but then I retired my old 380 for a 45. Lol

In all seriousness, what does it mean if you don't remember your dreams?

I know I need more training and more practice. I don't need dreams to tell me this.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Is there such a thing as enough training or practice?
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    Is there such a thing as enough training or practice?
    Probably. On the physical side, overtraining leads to injuries and sleep issues. In my youth when I was lifting a lot I could tell by my sleep habits when it was time to back off. Given that shooting is a mind game I would think the ability to concentrate might become an issue. The problem is, everyone is different with different capacities and until we get close to the edge we don't what our capacities are. This is why keeping a training record (preferably video) is important. Over a period of time patterns will emerge and we can see when we start to go off the track.
    Last edited by rick21; September 27th, 2012 at 07:53 PM.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    Yeah, I'm all for training and the warrior mindset but this just reaffirms to me this Grossman guy might be a nut job. If my dreams are filled with defensive scenarios I might have a problem!
    I thought about my reply and because I'm not in LE or a soldier and not submersed in violence, I would not be having these types of dreams. If his intended audience are LEOs and soldiers, I might see the pertinence. I do think it's a bit over the top for the average carrier.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    For those who have the dream that everything goes wrong when you need it most, it may be your subconscious telling you it thinks there is a problem. here is what Grossman has to say.
    Strangest thing I have ever read....
    ericb327 likes this.
    Former US Army SFC
    LTC-Class A HC: MA
    AG License: RI
    LTC: CT

VIP Member
    Yeah, I'm all for training and the warrior mindset but this just reaffirms to me this Grossman guy might be a nut job. If my dreams are filled with defensive scenarios I might have a problem!
    I thought about my reply and because I'm not in LE or a soldier and not submersed in violence, I would not be having these types of dreams. If his intended audience are LEOs and soldiers, I might see the pertinence. I do think it's a bit over the top for the average carrier.
    Congratulations on the opening of your mind. I don't think that he's a "nut job", either. "[He] helped train mental health professionals after the Jonesboro school shootings, and he was also involved in counseling or court cases in the aftermath of the Paducah, Springfield, Littleton, Virginia Tech, and Nickel Mines Amish school shootings."

The nightmares may be inklings of inadequacies trying to reconcile in one's mind. I don't have nightmares of these inadequacies. I train within Los Angeles County's legal limits. I have a true and accurate assessment of my own limitations. I think that's key.

I ought to train for the day that CCW is no longer prohibited to me, here, and it is available as in right-thinking locations. That's no dream. I like my old boss's poster, "Planning without acting is dreaming. Acting without planning is a nightmare".
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Here is more from Grossman

If you dream that your gun doesn't work, it means your midbrain, your unconscious mind, is worried and wants you to train more. Take it to the range and train until it is confident. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, The Bullet Proof Mind seminar (paraphrased)
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

I have had those dreams and it always motivates me to kick up the training. Oddly enough I'll have the dream about midway through training courses as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links