Another reason you may need to train

This is a discussion on Another reason you may need to train within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those who have the dream that everything goes wrong when you need it most, it may be your subconscious telling you it thinks there ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Another reason you may need to train

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar

For those who have the dream that everything goes wrong when you need it most, it may be your subconscious telling you it thinks there is a problem. here is what Grossman has to say.

There is a kind of dream not associated with any real world event. I call it the Universal Warrior Nightmare. The most common version of the universal nightmare is to dream that you cannot get your gun to fire. The gun jams, the bullets dribble out the end of the barrel, or they bounce impotently off the bad guy�s chest. The puppy, your midbrain, your unconscious mind, sends a message into your dreams that says, �Boss, I�m worried. I�m afraid it might not work.� Well, who would not be worried? Many of your brother and sister warriors have such nightmares and there is nothing wrong if you are having them now or you get them in the future. But there is one thing you can do that has helped many warriors to make the dreams go away: train. The puppy is worried, so to calm him you teach him a few new tricks or polish the old ones. Train hard so that he feels confident. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

I have not had those types of dreams yet. I guess my puppy is happy.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Senior Moderator
    What if you dream you do everything perfect? Is that your subconscious' way of saying, "Dude, you so totally rock!!!"?

Guess I'm good then.

I agree though.. dreams are a good way to gauge what you're REALLY thinking no matter how much you tell yourself the opposite. And not just about training either. Want to know your deepest fears and worries? Keep a dream journal.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    I can not think of a dream I've had dealing with a situation of needing a gun. So is my subconscious telling me I have nothing to worry about? Guess I can just leave my gun at home. (Not gonna happen)
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

What if your dreams are more along the lines of Jessica Biel than fire fights?
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Then your Puppy is real happy.....
    mano3 likes this.

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I guess that depends on whether or not your puppy got lucky!

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Then your Puppy is real happy.....
    Maybe not, it IS just a dream, after all.

Seriously though...

If you are honest with your self assessment, you know if you are less than prepared. Your dreams just take the self-delusions away.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

That's really interesting. Makes sense! I've never had a dream involving a gun malfunction, but I ALWAYS used to have car malfunction dreams. Brakes not working, power steering gone, dashboard had more lights and buttons than a fighter jet... stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Maybe not, it IS just a dream, after all.

Seriously though...

If you are honest with your self assessment, you know if you are less than prepared. Your dreams just take the self-delusions away.
    Yep, your dreams can be a real eye opener into the mind and soul.... Sometimes its good to pay attention to them..

I used to have those dreams all the time. My wife would get very unsettled at times as I would vocalize commands and such.

I remember one series quite vividly from 1983; I was being shot at and in trying to return fire the trigger on my gun was very hard to pull, when it did fire it was pop,pop,pop....The last shot was BOOOOMMMM!!!! that had no effect.

I attended a SWAT school and in the first shooting course, we ran 1/4 mile in gas masks, up to the firing line and commenced shooting in a combat course. My first reload, my Safariland Comp I loaded was locked up. That was one I carried on my duty belt.

After that course, the dreams subsided for a while.

I don't think there is always a specific reason for these dreams, sometimes it is just the traumatic stress manifesting itself.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Yeah, I'm all for training and the warrior mindset but this just reaffirms to me this Grossman guy might be a nut job. If my dreams are filled with defensive scenarios I might have a problem!
    SCXDm9 and BurgerBoy like this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

My 'fighting dreams' are either I'm a super-powered dude tha never misses a shot and knows amazing Kung-fu, or I shoot the bad guys but they never die.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

A lightbulb went off when I read On Killing by Lt. Col. Grossman. It is doubtful I would have ever come across the book and gained my current level of understanding had it not been for this forum. I am not willing to accept every word that flows forth from his mouth however. There has been a good deal writen about dreams and the unconscious. I have even read a few of them. Carl Jung's work seems to make the most sense to me. I train because of the realization that the beast is out there, he's hungry and I may look like food not because of shadowy messages from my subconscious. If Grossman works for you: Great! Afterall the point is to train. How one gets there hardly seems to matter all that much.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Psychology as it pertains to fighting fascinates me. My take on this issue is that if you never dream of loosing, you MAY not have a complete understanding of the dynamics involved in a violent confrontation. Shooting on a sterile range gives us a false sense of security. We may not shoot as well as we want to but there is no penalty for failure. Even competitve shooting dosen't penalize us for failure, we just don't get the prize. If you were going to the range in one week and you were going to be forced to do 100 pushups for every round you shoot outside the 0, before you could leave the range, I would guess there would be some dreams of failure.

In a class from a very well known instructor we were shown morque and autopsy photographs. Also there was a discussion of the possibility of dying in a fight. The next day the instructor asked who had bad dreams that night, everyone raised their hand. It had left the realm of theory and punching holes in paper and had become reality, if only through pictures and discussion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links