Review: Dog Brothers Open Gathering of the Pack

This is a discussion on Review: Dog Brothers Open Gathering of the Pack within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sorry, no pics - not allowed by DB. Dog Brothers believes in higher "consciousness through harder contact". The Dog Brothers Gathering of the Pack "invites ...

Thread: Review: Dog Brothers Open Gathering of the Pack

Distinguished Member

Review: Dog Brothers Open Gathering of the Pack

Sorry, no pics - not allowed by DB. Dog Brothers believes in higher "consciousness through harder contact". The Dog Brothers Gathering of the Pack "invites all people of good spirits" to competitively fight with “No judges, no referees, no trophies. One rule only: Be friends at the end of the day. This means our goal is that no one spends the night in the hospital. Our goal is that everyone leaves with the IQ with which they came. No suing no one for no reason for nothing no how no way! Real Contact Stick fighting is Dangerous and only you are responsible for you, so protect yourself at all times." This kind of thing hones self defense skills.
    The time was last Sunday morning and afternoon. The place was a professional MMA gym with lots of fight mat and spectator space in North Hollywood, CA.
    There were over 50 fights. Basically, a fighter decides the weapons and rules of his or her fight and picks an opponent who agrees. Weapons are usually rubber or aluminum training knives or sticks or both. Knife fights are 90 seconds. Stick fights two minutes. At least one fight was mixed doubles. Women are tough!
    I didn't fight - too much like MMA as most fights go to the ground with grappling skills a must. The fights that don't go to the ground frequently end with one fighter getting hurt (dislocated shoulder, smashed ribs or fingers or knee or foot) standing up. So know how to clinch and defend. The ones that prevail are the ones with the most serious attitude about training and winning.
    This was a little surprising. That people would enter full-contact at various levels of commitment. Another striking (no pun intended) impression is, tactically, with contact weapons, range is crucial. And so is the footwork that can deliver the strike and deliver one from being struck. If you aren't moving your feet, you're gonna get hit.
    Hopefully, the visual experience and the mental processing of the winning ways will aid my sparring in ways that just sparring and seeing my own club spar won't.
    My club put five fighters out. That's about a third of us. Results were one dislocated shoulder, two smashed hands, a tough grappling come-back, and some very good to praise-worthy technique. The stopped fights lasted long enough to see good technique. There's enough there with an instructor knowledgeable about real martial arts for me to continue and to grow. As long as it's fun.
    There was a school from Albuquerque that showed they have the right stuff. It's against policy to link, but if you're interested, PM. I have no affiliation and only report what I saw.
    Oh, I gotta go grapple.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

2. Remove Ads

Looks interesting....Videos Found on youtube...

Spinoff from "Fight Club"? I'll pick chopsticks and no eye pokes
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Marc Denny is a character. Check out his videos with Suarez--Die Less Often 1-3. Great stuff.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Links