"making good hits at ---- yards" - Page 2

"making good hits at ---- yards"

This is a discussion on "making good hits at ---- yards" within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Remember miller_man there is a big difference between target accuracy and combat accuracy. As has already been said minute of paper plate is quite acceptable ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: "making good hits at ---- yards"

VIP Member
    Remember miller_man there is a big difference between target accuracy and combat accuracy.

As has already been said minute of paper plate is quite acceptable at 25 and 50 yards provided they are in the chest, "A" zone or head of the target every time. Yes with compact/subcompacts it is much harder to do partly due to the shorter sight radius and partly due, generally speaking, to usually less than desirable trigger. Some subcompacts though are surprisingly accurate like the P238 with it's 1911 style trigger and excellent sights I have shot mine at 25 and 50 yards and have no problem keeping it half minute of paper plate or better at those distances if I do my part.

Ksgunner. Elmer Keith made some amazing long shots with his guns chambered in .357 and .41 mag with 4 inch barrels. Folks who shoot the steel chickens, pigs, sheep and one other that I can't remember now shoot at 100, 200, 300 and 400 meters with handguns. Now granted these are not your everyday guns and many are chambered in rifle calibers but many, many of them shoot 8", 10" and 12" .41 and .44 mag revolvers and don't miss. It all comes down to training.
    miller_man and Tayopo like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Senior Moderator
    I routinely shoot from 5-15 yards mainly concerntrating on 7-10 yards. But evry range session I relax by backing to 25 yards and firing for accuarcy
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Aim small, miss small.
    TSiWRX likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member
    Sometimes within the context of the post I too believe someone may get feet and yards mixed up. If they really do mean yards then great, but there are times where it sounds totally like they are shooting at 25 or 50 feet and not yards. So, I think there are those who stated it correctly and there are those who stated it incorrectly. Just like that guy who helped the officer in the mobile home park where he said he hit the BG from 195 YARDS and the mobile home park, as shown by the map, is nowhere near that distance.
    miller_man likes this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

I shoot a Kel-Tec P11 9MM and spend every Friday at the range. I shoot 25 yds. (YARDS not feet) I shoot at targets 6 3/8 inches across. The black portion is 2 3/8th inches. I fire in sets of ten rds at each target. I saved my targets from last week. From my ten round group, I put 4 rounds in the black, 5 in the white rings, and one outside because I anticipated recoil and flinched. It's not rocket science and it's not impossible. It's mastering fundamentals of marksmanship. Pistol Matches are usually on a standard 25 and 50 yards course. If you can't shoot 25 yards on a range, maybe you need to spend more time practicing and hope you don't need to draw your weapon when the adrenaline is flowing.

You're right in that people really mess up range estimation, but I don't think it's deliberate. That said, if you doubt it can be done, you're the one that needs to take a quality class, work on your fundamentals first, and then get in some serious practice. If you truly have the fundamentals down, it ain't hard.
    Tayopo likes this.

Back when I was an LEO and I'm sure the same course is around today we shot 12 out of 48 rounds from 25 yards.At our weekly range session yesterday my buddy made the comment we shoot at the same distances every week we need to back targets up to 25 yards and shoot,I agreed so next sunday will be blasting flourescent printer paper at 25 yards "I'm Cheap" when it comes to targets.
    I think most people on here feel that if the threat is over 25 yards away and they have the ability they are gonna Un-Ass the location
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

My nephew recently sent me a pic of his 2" group from 30 "yards" using his new M&P22...he later remembered that the range was in feet, not yards, and corrected his statement to me (maybe not his girlfriend...lol). I make it a point to shoot each of my weapons at 25 yards (& up if at an outdoor range) to keep my technique up. As has been mentioned, I can hold a better group (@50 yds) with my P238 than with my M&P40C because of the different triggers.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

I just think in a lot of cases, some people are hoping they are talking feet, when they are talking yards.

Not only been in these discussions before, but won a ton of "bets" about it..... when we talk about shooting at 100 & 200 yrds at the range... and someone questions it.... we get a good bet and go to the range. I would think sooner or later, people would get tired of losing their money.

Doesn't really matter.... as with anything, it's a matter of "practicing it .....
    Mike1956 and Tayopo like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I have shot and hit a steel 3/4 scale man target at 100yds (a football field) several times during training classes with a Glock 26 (and that was before I added the milled RDS).

FWIW, I practice from contact distance out to 100yds pretty regularly.
    Tayopo likes this.

Where you talking to me ? If so, I am very aware of what bullseye shooters and shooting team members are capable of. I just wouldn't want to be using my pistol at those ranges on an actual two way range.

Same page ?? I'm retired military also.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Possible some are mixing the two, but some (like me) started with a scoped rifle.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Personally I don't do more than 25 yds. when it comes to pistol shooting. Most of the time, I do my aimed fire from the draw between 5 and 15 yds. I do both Weaver and Isosceles as well as unsupported shooting (both strong and weak hand).

I find feats of long range shooting totally believable; until evidence in specific situations lends themselves unbelievable.

I have all sorts of weapons that shoot much better than their reputation.

The last shot with my Win94, one shot that day, (two days ago.)

Here is the last 6 shots taken with my derringer.

Even if I've been given reason to disbelieve, I'll not make an issue of it.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Win94ae View Post
    I find feats of long range shooting totally believable; until evidence in specific situations lends themselves unbelievable.

I have all sorts of weapons that shoot much better than their reputation.

The last shot with my Win94, one shot that day, (two days ago.)

Here is the last 6 shots taken with my derringer.

Even if I've been given reason to disbelieve, I'll not make an issue of it.
    The longest distance I have shot was 250 yds. when I qualified with the M-4/M-16 rifles. For my RRA LAR-15 "Entry Tactical" rifle in 5.56mm, I will sometimes practice using bullseye at 250 yds. But most of the time now, I shoot close quarters at human shaped targets between 10 and 25 yds. I have also never used telescopic sights and I have no need for them since I plan to use my rifle for CQ engagements in the home.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links