"making good hits at ---- yards"

This is a discussion on "making good hits at ---- yards" within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Personally, I feel shooting at a seven-yard target is a pretty much a gimmie. My local pistol range starts at 15 yards, so 25 isn't ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: "making good hits at ---- yards"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Personally, I feel shooting at a seven-yard target is a pretty much a gimmie. My local pistol range starts at 15 yards, so 25 isn't much of push.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

Kentucky - Rated 'F' By HCI And Proud Of It!
    A few years ago I was on a Civil War phase, and bought a couple of replica revolvers, a Colt 1860 Army and a Remington New Model Army, both in .44. My club has a covered "benchrest" range with target berms at 50, 100, 150, and 200 yards. The weekend that I first took the Remington to the range it was rainy and cold, so I went to the benchrest range to try it out at 50 yards:

The above picture is the SECOND cylinder full fired out of that revolver at 50 yards. The fist five shots were fired with a sub-6:00 hold, as I had no idea where this thing was going to hit, and the folks in the subdivision a mile or so away are sensitive about "overs". The second five, shown, were fired using a center-mass hold. (Somebody cross-fired on my target with a .22 before I could take it down.)

I used a "Keith" hold, which, if you are not familiar consists of reclining on the ground with your feet towards the target, leaning back on your weak side elbow with your strong side knee drawn up and used as a rest for the handgun. You want to keep the front of the cylinder of a revolver as far forward as you can, as the flash from the cylinder/barrel gap can scorch your pants.

But, yes, it's possible to do good work with a handgun at 50 yards.
    bmcgilvray and Tayopo like this.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ Heck of a first post. That is cool.

When shooting the Colt 1911 in competition with the Kansas National Guard our range was 25 and 50 yards. All one handed and lots of fun. I have not gone beyond 10 yards with my sr40c or the LC9. Can't see a reason to.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtRick View Post
    Anyone who shoots NRA bullseye matches for their Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge shoots at 25 and 50 yards. This is the normal distance.
    You forgot to mention that you're also shooting ONE handed! For some reason people find this so hard to believe. (1 Year on the 8th Army Pistol Team, before packing it in for EOD School.)
    Tayopo likes this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

When I was on the Ft Wort PD pistol team and shot PPC I could keep a 6" circle with my duty gun at 50 yards. In The Border Patrol when we carried revolvers 12 of our 72 round qual course was at 50 yards. The difference between 25 and 50 yards in HUGE with a handgun. Every time I go to the range I ding the 100 yard gong ("18square) with whatever I am shooting at the time, last time it was my G27/33 with the 357 Sig I just aim at the top of the plate.
    ScottM and Tayopo like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

VIP Member
    Several years ago I went through a school that required you to pass the FBI Qualification Course in order to actually begin the class. I liked the way it was set up, and now will not carry a weapon unless and until I am confident in my ability to pass the course with the gun. (In reality I'm thinking if you can't pass this course of fire perhaps you shouldn't be carrying a gun... not that you don't have the right to do so but that you should make the decision not to practice your right until you've increased your skill.) The course of fire is pretty simple.

Since this starts at 25 yards I'm able to safely say that I can make solid hits at that distance with every handgun that I own. That includes J=Frame revolvers and a subcompact 9mm.

25 YARDS
    6 rounds prone
    3 rounds strong side kneeling barricade position
    6 rounds strong side standing barricade position
    3 rounds weak side kneeling barricade position
    (Above in 75 seconds)

25 YARDS
    On command shooter moves to 15 yard line, draws and fires 2 rounds- maximum time 6 seconds. After shots go to low ready
    4 strings of 2 rounds in 3 seconds each.

15 YARDS
    On command move to 7 yard line and fire 12 rounds in 15 seconds (must reload during string)

7 Yards
    On command moves to 5 yard line and fires 5 rounds strong hand only. Reload then 5 rounds weak hand only in 15 seconds or less.

85% hits to pass (90% for instructors). Any round fired after time is not counted.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Myk
    I measured 30 yards as my long distance practice range in the backyard, and when I first started trying it, I had a tough time hitting a man-sized sillouette target at all. With some disciplined practice though, I can put the whole mag in COM with my XD40SC now, and it makes the 10 or 15 yard shots seem easy.
    "When they bury me, make sure they bury me with my guns on. Im gonna need em. Cause when I get to the other side, there's some things that need straightening out." ~Bobaflex~

I took a training class on Fort Huachuca with Three feathers ( a DC poster) that has us making COM shots and hits at 60 yards NOT feet. The position was up to the shooter.
    This was based upon an actual shooting case involving an Air force MP and a Beretta 9mm

Fairchild Air Force Base - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Four Surreal Days In 1994 | Bret L. Simmons - Positive Organizational Behavior

HistoryLink.org- the Free Online Encyclopedia of Washington State History
    Shooting

A significant event at Fairchild occurred on June 20, 1994 when Dean Mellberg, an ex-Air Force member, entered the base hospital, shot and killed five people and wounded many others. Mellberg had been discharged from Cannon AFB, NM, for the same psychological reason that psychologists Maj. Thomas Brigham and Captain Alan London at Fairchild AFB found. Airman Mellberg was transferred to Wilford Hall Medical Center at Lackland AFB for further psychological examination and, with Congressional pressure brought by Melberg's mother, was found to be fit for military service. Airman Melburg was reassigned to Cannon Air Force Base where similar events led to him being returned to psychologists for evaluation. He was discharged from Cannon AFB for being unfit for military service. He traveled to the town of Airway Heights just outside of Fairchild AFB where he purchased weapons and planned his revenge on the psychologists that had caused his ousting. (Information was provided by a former Air Force member with direct knowledge of events.) At the time of the shooting, Fairchild's hospital was an ungated facility. The gunman, armed with a Chinese-made MAK-90, an AK-47 clone,[5] entered the office of Brigham and London and killed both men. Mellberg continued to move through the hospital, injuring and killing several people, including 8-year-old Christin McCarron. The gunman then walked out of the building into the parking lot, where after killing Anita Lindner, was confronted by a security policeman, Senior Airman Andy Brown. From approximately 70 yards away, Brown ordered Mellberg to drop his weapon. After Mellberg refused, from a kneeling position Brown fired four shots from his 9mm pistol, two rounds hitting the perpetrator in the head and shoulder, killing him.[6] After an investigation it was concluded that Airman Brown was justified in his actions, saving countless lives, and was awarded the Airman's Medal by President Clinton.

Shooting the PPC course in the mid 70's with a revolver we shot at the B-27 targets at 50 YARDS, NOT FEET. it was part of the course of fire.
    Tayopo likes this.
    Flashbacks:
    It is better that I have flashbacks about them, then them having flashbacks about me

USMC RET 1961-1971

40, and many others in here know what I have posted many times. Long range shooting is not difficult, especially with the Keith long range front sight'

My grandson wanted to learn pistol shooting. I had just purchased a mint S&W Combat masterpiece, .38, with a 4 " barrel, so I had him work on his triggger squeeze for a week dry firing, until he becme bored, then few introductory live ammo shots. at the range.

He showed such excellent trigger control, that I decided to turn him loose at 50 meters, off hand, one hand. He did just fine.

Here is his 50 meter target, he used two different aiming points, the heart and head. As you can see, except for removing an ear, all 35 of the other rnds were potentially killing hits. The simple secret is Trigger control. Cert by the range master at the Tuscon rifle range..

Don jose de La Mancha

50 meter, off hand, single hand.jpg
    Last edited by Tayopo; October 11th, 2012 at 08:13 AM.
    HotGuns likes this.

I have been shooting bullseye competition for many years. It's a great training tool, in my opinion. It forces you to concentrate on the fundamentals. If any part of your shooting technique is off, you will do very poorly.

Tpelle: That is an excellent group, especially considering the sights on that pistol. How did you measure your powder? You have very little vertical stringing.

Don jose de la Mancha

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    I took a training class on Fort Huachuca with Three feathers ( a DC poster) that has us making COM shots and hits at 60 yards NOT feet. The position was up to the shooter.
    This was based upon an actual shooting case involving an Air force MP and a Beretta 9mm

Fairchild Air Force Base - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Four Surreal Days In 1994 | Bret L. Simmons - Positive Organizational Behavior

HistoryLink.org- the Free Online Encyclopedia of Washington State History
    Shooting

A significant event at Fairchild occurred on June 20, 1994 when Dean Mellberg, an ex-Air Force member, entered the base hospital, shot and killed five people and wounded many others. Mellberg had been discharged from Cannon AFB, NM, for the same psychological reason that psychologists Maj. Thomas Brigham and Captain Alan London at Fairchild AFB found. Airman Mellberg was transferred to Wilford Hall Medical Center at Lackland AFB for further psychological examination and, with Congressional pressure brought by Melberg's mother, was found to be fit for military service. Airman Melburg was reassigned to Cannon Air Force Base where similar events led to him being returned to psychologists for evaluation. He was discharged from Cannon AFB for being unfit for military service. He traveled to the town of Airway Heights just outside of Fairchild AFB where he purchased weapons and planned his revenge on the psychologists that had caused his ousting. (Information was provided by a former Air Force member with direct knowledge of events.) At the time of the shooting, Fairchild's hospital was an ungated facility. The gunman, armed with a Chinese-made MAK-90, an AK-47 clone,[5] entered the office of Brigham and London and killed both men. Mellberg continued to move through the hospital, injuring and killing several people, including 8-year-old Christin McCarron. The gunman then walked out of the building into the parking lot, where after killing Anita Lindner, was confronted by a security policeman, Senior Airman Andy Brown. From approximately 70 yards away, Brown ordered Mellberg to drop his weapon. After Mellberg refused, from a kneeling position Brown fired four shots from his 9mm pistol, two rounds hitting the perpetrator in the head and shoulder, killing him.[6] After an investigation it was concluded that Airman Brown was justified in his actions, saving countless lives, and was awarded the Airman's Medal by President Clinton.

Shooting the PPC course in the mid 70's with a revolver we shot at the B-27 targets at 50 YARDS, NOT FEET. it was part of the course of fire.
    Airman Brown is an infrequent poster here:
    Write up on Carson City IHOP
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Its not magic, and its not internet fantasy. Its the reality of training to a higher standard. If you do not appreciate that, its ok. Some take it very serious. Some dont.
    Amen. I'll also add that it is perishable. There are times when I think I'm immortal. Then I take the month of September off, and now I stink on ice again.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Amen. I'll also add that it is perishable. There are times when I think I'm immortal. Then I take the month of September off, and now I stink on ice again.
    I have to do skill-builders every day to keep off the ice.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links