"making good hits at ---- yards" - Page 5

"making good hits at ---- yards"

This is a discussion on "making good hits at ---- yards" within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ladies & Gentlemen: The secret of long range pistol shooting lies in the Keith front sight for long ranges. It has the various ranges marked ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: "making good hits at ---- yards"

Ladies & Gentlemen: The secret of long range pistol shooting lies in the Keith front sight for long ranges. It has the various ranges marked on it. The 'point of impact is 'ALWAYS' on 'top' of the front post' in plain sight, it is never hidden as in the "hold over" system, hence prescise . Any questions?

Don Jose de La Mancha
    Last edited by Tayopo; October 12th, 2012 at 03:02 AM.

You are usually your own worst enemy. Given that you have a fully functioning pistol, reliable ammo, and good conditions (no wind, fog, etc), the pistol will shoot at exactly the place it is aimed at the time the firing pin engages the round. Stance, Grip, Breathing, Finger Movement, and Sight Picture, all effect where your shot will land.

The Keith Sight Alignment seems to make sense;
    This involved the use of horizontal reference lines placed at even intervals down the rear of the front sight. The intended target was kept at the top of the front sight, but the top of the rear sight notch was held centered and even with one of the reference lines spaced down the rear of the front sight. The lower the reference line with which the rear sight was aligned, the more inclination the revolver had, so the greater the distance at which the bullet would strike the point of aim.
    However, for most people who are using a handgun for personal protection, most of the reading I have seen says that getting competent at 7yds (21 feet) should be the minimum goal. I know the Oregon DPSST test focuses on this range.

For Practical Shooting (IPSC) I practice at 10, 20 and 25 yards and try to keep my shots within an 8" circle (Paper Plate). I also tend to work on speed, draws and reloads.

But getting a good sight picture, and squeezing the trigger is what I am working on the most to get to the point of doing it without thinking.

In the words of Brian Enos, "See what you need to see"

I do believe that if you plan to carry a handgun, you should practice with it.

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    So just wandering, do some people realize the difference between feet and yards?

I've read a good few posts here and there where people have posted about shooting xxx gun (usually a compact/subcompact) at xxx yards and saying accuracy was good/great or whatever.

Are you people really setting up at a true 25 yards??? Or 50 yards???
    You know 25 yards is 75 FEET! Thats a LOOONNNGGG way for pistols, and pretty tough to get decent shots at that range.

I'm not saying it can't be done, I know there are folks here who can probably make some very impressive and consistant shots at these ranges. But those aren't the people that post about shooting at those ranges, and I'd bet they're not making those shots with a 3-4" barrel in a subcompact.

Just as someone who goes to the range pretty frequently and sets up at marked out yardage, I think alot of people making some comments are probably thinking feet not yards and/or fibbing a good bit about the distance at which they're shooting.
    When I shot IPSC in the '80s and '90s we regularly had targets set out to 25+ yards (and yes it WAS measured) and there were plenty of guys who could double tap and not get out of the "B" zone at that range. I could regularly hit steel plates at 100 yards (measured at the gun club) with my comped 1911, but then I was shooting 100,000 rounds annually.

I have also shot the Bianchi Cup, Practical stage has the furthest distance @ 50 yards, the Mover covers 60 feet in 6 seconds and furthest distance is 25 yards (at that distance you have to fire 3 rounds each pass) then the steel plates (6 inches diameter 5 plates per run) the furthest distance is 25 yards. Bianchi 10 there were over 500 entries, I finished 82nd.

I trained for ACT 235 in '07 and used my G 27 funny thing is at 25 YARDS I had tighter shots then @15 yards.I dont know why, And Im not an advid shooter by any means, I think I seen ol' hickok45 hit his 80 yard Gong with the G 27, Cool guy to watch on youtube, Anyway I know what your saying though, beacause I see some people saying they shot at 7 feet, mabey they did, but I always figured they meant 7 yards.

I am sure there are many experienced shooters who can shoot way out there. My range only goes to 75 feet which is 25 yards. I get a bulls eye at 25 yards from time to time. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while lol. I am only comfortable at about 10 to 15 yards right now but I do go to the end of the range for at least a mag every time I go shooting. My only worry would be this, once you start shooting way far away from you might they not consider that self defense?

Yes, I have gotten yards and feet mixed up in a post before. HEY, get over it. Woman can't tell feet and men can't tell inches.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

The funny thing is that I could hit a milk jug at a measured 100 yards easily with my 4" N-Frame .357 Smith before I knew you weren't supposed to be able to do that! This was before I had internet service. Most of the time I could do this with all six rounds. Back then I busted at least 500 caps a week year round. I'm a little rustier now that I'm a "city slicker" but I just bought a year membership at an indoor range to begin to hone my marksmanship again.

As an avid bowhunter and handgun hunter, accurate range estimation is key to success.
    So when I tell you I can hit at 50 yards or whatever, I mean yards, and, am probably being on the conservative side.

Distant handgun accuracy is not an elusive venue, but it does require a level of commitment and discipline.
    But that goes with anything we pursue.
    Eagleks likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Ever heard of NRA Bullseye?

I know the difference between yards and feet now thanks to a Rangefinder Laser. Before , Guilty as charged

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    I have been in defensive handgun classes where one of the exercises was to shoot a full size steel silouet from 100 yards with your carry gun.At the time it seemed a little pointless to me, but the reason they did that was to make us concentrate on the fundamentals of trigger control, breath control, grip, follow through and aiming. It was done from a prone position using the support hand and the ground to help steady your attempts. The goal was , shoot until you put six hits on the target. It took me almost a full mag to get those hits, I think 16 rounds shooting a G 17. The guys with shorter sight radius and shorter barrels maybe more, but it was fun.I would guess that another reason was to teach us that those long shots can be made with a handgun, although not very practical.

I made a big mistake when I bought my M&P 9mm a month ago. I had not shot a pistol (more than plinking a magazine's worth of soda cans in a sand pit) in 10+ years. I picked up my new pistol, cleaned it, and headed to the outdoor range with 500 rds of fmj. I set up at 25 yards and started sending rounds downrange. After about 150 shots, I had only discouraged myself into thinking that I was not a good pistol shooter, and maybe I shouldn't carry a concealed weapon. A couple of days later, I ran into an old friend of mine who did a couple of tours in the sandbox with 82nd Airborne. We ended up having lunch, and I relayed my dismal performance with my pistol and he proceeded to tell me what an idiot I was. The first thing he said to do was dry fire, then dry fire some more; after that, do some more dry firing (emphasis on trigger control). Then move to the range, but start at 5 yards with my new found mastery of trigger control, and when I could put 17 rounds in one ragged hole, move out 5 yards, and so on(giving a little more leeway as the range grew). Well, I dry fired until I thought that click would make me crazy, bought some more ammo, and went back to the range a week later. First mag at 5 yards could have been covered by a half dollar, first mag from 10 yards was a 2" group. I kept working until I could put 10 rounds from 25 YARDS inside of 5 inches. It took me 600 rounds of ammunition and 4 hours spread over 2 days to make this happen, but IMO it was well worth it. I now carry that same gun concealed, and have the utmost confidence that I CAN put shots where I want to, the next step is doing the same thing from concealment.....maybe next week.

Like anything ..... methods / technique .... and lots and lots of practice. I can guarantee ya'all of one thing, if you don't think you can and never try, then you never will.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar

Re: "making good hits at ---- yards"

I took the barrel off my revolver, found I didn't need unless shooting over 250 yards

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Things gun forums have taught me:
    -Some people shoot guns other "run" them.
    -I don't dislike Glocks but often dislike Glock owners.
    -Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!
    -Simple math can deliver posts per day... some gun forum members need to get out more!!!

It's always scary when the person on the next lane can't hit the torso on a B-27 target at 10ft.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    You know 25 yards is 75 FEET! Thats a LOOONNNGGG way for pistols, and pretty tough to get decent shots at that range.
    It is kind of "tough," until you know your POA/POI.
    Here is a gun notorious for being imprecise, yet I hit the torso at 50 yards 6 of 6.

Here is the same derringer at 30 yards with a moving target.

So, 25-50 yards, is it really that "tough?"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Sponsored Links