It's Getting Cold

This is a discussion on It's Getting Cold within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is not a interesting topic but I believe a necessary one. Clothes. Friday morning I went to the range. It was about 45 degree's ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Harryball
  • 3 Post By suntzu

Thread: It's Getting Cold

It's Getting Cold

This is not a interesting topic but I believe a necessary one. Clothes.

Friday morning I went to the range. It was about 45 degree's with a light wind. It got me thinking about drawing from concealment in winter clothing. I carry AIWB so most of the time I wear a closed front shirt. Winter clothing tends to be a tighter at bottom than summer clothes. On the way home I picked up a couple of cheap pullover sweatshirts. I tried some draws with my airsoft pistol, I pretty much crashed and burned. The banded bottom made drawing more difficult especially when drawing from retention. Inquartata and GOTX wasn't as bad, but the Peketi Take Off on GOTX did tighten garment.

Thought's?

2. Remove Ads

Continue to train. You'll get it...
    Bad Bob likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Without seeing a video of how you are drawing it is hard to say what you can do better.....like Harryball said...train. My daily routine for almost the last 20 years or so is to practice drawing at least 10-20 times a day under different conditions. Muscle memory, muscle memory
    Harryball, First Sgt and Bad Bob like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Without seeing a video of how you are drawing it is hard to say what you can do better.....like Harryball said...train. My daily routine for almost the last 20 years or so is to practice drawing at least 10-20 times a day under different conditions. Muscle memory, muscle memory
    Amen....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

AOK
    I think you have the right idea. You are dressing around the weapon you are carrying rather than changing what and how you carry around your attire.

As others have said, train. Don't be one of those people that only go shooting when it's a nice day out. Run your gear in all kinds of different conditions and determine if changes need to be made.

All good points......however......a Shoulder Rig gives pretty quick access when you're all bundled up. (I use verticle rigs). If the situation gets "tense", leaving your coat(s) 1/2 unzipped saves the step of fumbeling for a zipper latch.

And....if you drive with your coat(s) on, you may find out how amazingly quick a shoulder rig can be. Just something to consider.

neverenough

Yep it's been a chilly 80 sumpin down here,won't be much longer before it gets down to a frigid 70's lol,to be honest a few weeks out of the year it does become jacket weather but nothing like up north where you may be wearing several layers when temps hit below 0.Whichever way you carry it comes down to practice and sometimes finding the right spot that allows for an easier smoother draw
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by neverenough View Post
    All good points......however......a Shoulder Rig gives pretty quick access when you're all bundled up. (I use verticle rigs). If the situation gets "tense", leaving your coat(s) 1/2 unzipped saves the step of fumbeling for a zipper latch.

And....if you drive with your coat(s) on, you may find out how amazingly quick a shoulder rig can be. Just something to consider.

neverenough
    I use a SH in the winter, but then my BUG is in an outer pocket or AIWB.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Links