When to say police

When to say police

This is a discussion on When to say police within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took a Vehicle and Street Tactics class. Two scenarios and what they suggest: You find an armed BG In your command voice, with your firearm ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: When to say police

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

When to say police

Took a Vehicle and Street Tactics class. Two scenarios and what they suggest:

You find an armed BG

In your command voice, with your firearm in low ready, you shout out, "Police....drop the weapon".

You are in a store/restaurant/public place and shots are fired. You draw your firearm.

Whether you shoot or not, right now, you look like the bad guy. You should be repeating the phrases:
    "Police, somebody call the police"
    "Police, is anyone hurt? Somebody call the police"
    "Police, don't go near him, he still may be dangerous" (assuming you shot the BG and he is bleeding on the ground)

The theory behind this logic is that in the first scenario, you are NOT saying you are the police, but if the bad guy is actually a good guy, he will not try and shoot you as bad guys do not ever say the word police. If he is a bad guy, he may be more inclined to comply.

In the second scenario, again you are NOT saying you are the police, buy you want everyone to know that you are not the bad guy. Bad guys do not ever say the word police. If a crowd sees a person with a gun and there was a shooting, they will assume you were the shooter. This prevents other CCW holders from actually trying to shoot you, too.

Another point the instructor made was that you are in no danger of "impersonating" a police officer. People do it all the time, for example at Halloween and such. The only time you can get in trouble impersonating a police officer is when you do it for personal gain.

Just a few thoughts.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

In the 1st scenario I would take it that you are stating you are the police. In the 2nd the first 2 seem OK but the 3rd one comes out you are saying you are the police or could be construed as such.
    Hopyard and ericb327 like this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

WAY too much ambiguity in that me thinks........

....and BG's using the 'police' word have been in the news for quite some time now (WRT home invasions........)
    bigmacque and Eagleks like this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Where did you take this training?
    rigel42 likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Whomever taught yo to imply you are a cop has no business teaching,when did he say you should flash your CCW Badge
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Where did you take this training?
    Yep, don't think I want to spend my money there. Like minds want to know.

Question, Do they provide lawyers with their advice? I think you are going to need one if you follow their training.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

But bad guys have been known to say 'Police!'

Every once in a while a thread pops up where there was an incident where the BG was impersonating a LEO.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    Now that I am retired I would probably ask very nicely---"Please!!! Don't Move!!"'
    Say it very fast with a New York accent and the bad guy may think you are saying, "Police!!!"

Lead Moderator
    This sounds like a really bad idea to me. What happens when someone demands you act as a police officer after you have said this?
    ericb327 likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

No way am I ever going to do that. Frankly I am stunned that anyone would teach using such a method.
    Spade115 likes this.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glhadiator View Post
    No way am I ever going to do that. Frankly I am stunned that anyone would teach using such a method.
    Concealed carry badges, sashes, abstinence before marriage, just say no...nah, nothing is very stunning any more. With this thread, tho, there is quite a bit to add to the "Things My Instructor Told Me" list.
    Echo_Four and pfries like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Senior Moderator
    I have heard that you could say "Pl-ease drop your weapon" so it might sound like Police, but in 2 of your three examples it seems like you are claiming to be the police
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Some of you haven't read In the Gravest Extreme, have you?

Quote Originally Posted by In The Gravest Extreme, p.32
    As far as identifying yourself, don't impersonate a police officer. At the same time, if you're ordering a man to stop, yell "Police! Hold it!" If anyone asks you can say later that you were shouting for the police in the same breath that you ordered the suspect to halt. How fast is he going to stop if you cry "Hold it! Private Citizen"? The cry will also prevent your being mistaken for a fleeing felon by officers arriving on the scene.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

If I do not feel the need to shoot (i.e. no threat to me or others) why am I pointing a gun at an armed person pretending I am a cop....that is what you are doing regardless of what idiot instructor told someone to do this. This is about one of the dumbest things I have heard. It also sets a really bad precedent for BG's who do home invassions by saying "police!".

Semantics aside and regardless of how the English language works if someone does this they are doing it to imply they are police and under oath they will have to say so,
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I'll impersonate Santa Claus if it keeps me from being shot by someone who thinks I'm a bad guy. It's easily explained away after the fact. Now, saying it to try and keep yourself safe, and saying it to exercise some unearned authority are two different things. Not in favor of someone pretending to be a cop. However, I don't see what harm can come if you've already shot the guy.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links