Pray and Spray - Page 3

Pray and Spray

This is a discussion on Pray and Spray within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Eagleks One reason I don't like to shoot on public ranges here..... and shoot on my own property. They all have a ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Pray and Spray

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    One reason I don't like to shoot on public ranges here..... and shoot on my own property.
    They all have a 1 second rule. One of the nearest ranges, the RO tries to turn it into a 10 second rule and jumps on everyone or makes them leave.
    We were discussing, about 20 of us going out to the range, and all alternate shooting right on the 1-2 second mark.... and see if that didn't drive him crazy. That would make it 20 second interval for the first shooter.
    At the range I work at, we have a one second rule. I'm honestly not sure why, but it is my job to enforce it nonetheless. I usually only do so anyway if it's more than 3 or 4 shots of rapid fire. I do know that for a lot of rules, we have to factor in the least common denominator person out here in GA. And let me tell you, you get all sorts of characters that don't know (or don't care) a damn bit about weapon safety.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Okay bud, the key here is to increase the speedat which you things. You should be able to call your shots as you fire them, even at .2 or even .12, Start by trying to see your brass as it ejects from the gun. When you can ID about where it landed because you saw it, you're resady for the next step. On that step you wil try to call double taps by marking them on a munu target before you ook at the actual target. Use X for the cal and O for the actual. When you can do that reliaby start adding shots to your string.

You're trying to run before you can walk, dude. Do these steps and drop me a PM when you can fo 5 shots and call them all accurately and quickly. It'l be a few sessions before you're there.

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    "Fast is good but accuracy is everything"........Wyatt Earp.
    Actually, I believe it goes, "Fast is fine, but accuracy is final."

Which is fine until you get so conditioned to going for accuracy that you slow down so much because you're setting up for the most accurate shot you can make (instead of the most accurate shot that you need to make at that time), that you don't ever make any shot because you get hit and killed first.

So again, it comes down to the definition of accuracy under the specific context.
    BigStick and Tayopo like this.
    "Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

www.inshadowinlight.com

http://inshadowinlight.wordpress.com

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
    Okay bud...
    Being able to call every shot is not as important in the context of the counter-offensive response as being able to get the hits you need to make as quickly as you can make them. You don't have to be able to call your shots to do that.
    "Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

www.inshadowinlight.com

http://inshadowinlight.wordpress.com

Only once did I have an issue with an RO. Wouldn't let me draw from my holster. I paid $25 for the apparent "privilage" of shooting at this range. I haven't darkened their door step since. I go where I can do the things I need to do to be as prepared as I feel I need to be. I say find a new range and write a letter to the owner letting him know why your business is going elsewhere.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Only once did I have an issue with an RO. Wouldn't let me draw from my holster. I paid $25 for the apparent "privilage" of shooting at this range.
    I've experienced one other range that had this limitation, as well. It was an indoor range with cement flooring. Makes sense to me, to avoid almost-certain ricochet. Unknown what your facility had that dictated such a safety step.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

One I go to is similar, no holster draw, but about half the cost of smolcks range.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I would consider going to another range, but this one is right down the street, and all of the others in the area have the same or similar rules. What I really need to do is find somewhere to shoot outside on public land that where I can train as I wish.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    I would consider going to another range, but this one is right down the street, and all of the others in the area have the same or similar rules. What I really need to do is find somewhere to shoot outside on public land that where I can train as I wish.
    Here's a useful tool to hunt for BLM wilderness areas, as well as all sorts of other type of land: GeoCommunicator.gov.

Can be used to search for land with mining claims, rangeland, special forest areas (parks, etc), monuments, etc.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Why not tell him what you are trying to do and ask if he has a better way to learn? Some people are AH's and others are quite willing to help. It may be something simple that you are not seeing.
    Tayopo likes this.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links