Doc, How Do I Know Where I Should Shoot?

This is a discussion on Doc, How Do I Know Where I Should Shoot? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is the right place to shoot someone to stop them COM? This is what we all hear but is it right at all times? The ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Bill MO
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty
  • 1 Post By RoadRunner71

Thread: Doc, How Do I Know Where I Should Shoot?

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar

Doc, How Do I Know Where I Should Shoot?

Is the right place to shoot someone to stop them COM? This is what we all hear but is it right at all times? The shooting of COM came from the old timers of hitting what target you have (What ever that mass may be) in the center, but will it stop the BG in his tracks? a hit any hit is good but is it the best hit you can or could get. Not always, do you know where to shoot for that stopping in their tracks shot? Here is a article I think will give you some good info on just where to shoot.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ccm...-should-shoot/

For me that target is center of mass (fist size grouping) at the nipple or armpit level and if going for the headshot, mouth opening to lower part of nose. What you are shooting for with the headshot is the medulla oblongata (the area of the 3 arrows in the head diagram of the article) hit it and you switch of the BGs lights. But it is small. The old saying of shooting them in the face is a good spot to shoot for. Shooting them between the eyes is getting on the high side for me.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

2. Remove Ads

Good article. I get his point, but "shoot center mass" to me always meant shoot in the chest, not necessarily exactly the center of the target. He wrote a good article, but it's all a fancy way of saying "Two to the chest, one to the head."
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

If one aims for COM and misses you're likely to still get a hit. That's my theory on why maybe its still taught.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Good article. I get his point, but "shoot center mass" to me always meant shoot in the chest, not necessarily exactly the center of the target. He wrote a good article, but it's all a fancy way of saying "Two to the chest, one to the head."
    Myself I don't like that saying. I believe in hi-cap mags and like to think in terms of shooting a burst or 3-5 both upper chest and the face. The saying of 2 & 1 goes back to the day when everyone carried a revolver and only had 5-6 rounds on board. Unless you still carry revolvers of a small pocket pistol feed them more when you have it. One reason I don't like the 1911 its a big gun but only carries slightly more rounds than a 6 shooter.
    Brad426 likes this.

^^^
    Agreed. It's just a saying that has transcended time.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Its not just a saying. Until 2010/11 it was the preferred method of shooting/training at schoolhouses for military door kickers. That changed several years ago to full CMO shots. In fact a number of engagement techniques changed in the last several years along those same lines. There are some specialized instructors still using 2/1 technique but for now anyone wearing a bouncer vest is shooting CMO.

Quote Originally Posted by MoparNut View Post
    Its not just a saying. Until 2010/11 it was the preferred method of shooting/training at schoolhouses for military door kickers. That changed several years ago to full CMO shots. In fact a number of engagement techniques changed in the last several years along those same lines. There are some specialized instructors still using 2/1 technique but for now anyone wearing a bouncer vest is shooting CMO.
    I didn't say it was just a saying, I said it was just a saying that has transcended time.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
    Clint Eastwood

IMHO COM is the Center of the mass being presented,if you see a leg shoot the leg,or whatever body part he shows,I also like the shoot em to the ground school of blastology
    RoadRunner71 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Really, how often are you going to get two shooters facing each other in the street full on? My expectation is that concealment, if not actual cover, will be in use. Therefore, center of mass will be whatever portion of his anatomy is available. If you can get that good central nervous system hit, fine. But, personally, I'm not waiting until I get that perfect shot at his medulla oblongata before I start dinging the guy.
    oneshot likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Really, how often are you going to get two shooters facing each other in the street full on? I think most situations CCers will see will be in the open, up close, very fast and violent. And with little time to take cover or concealment unless you are already there before the actual fight begins. So your SA better be really good, and I don't think you or anyone else can do that 24/7. We all have down times and thats when it will happen. With the BG setting the time and place. My expectation is that concealment, if not actual cover, will be in use. May I suggest you read and give thought to this article My Gunfight Therefore, center of mass will be whatever portion of his anatomy is available. If you can get that good central nervous system hit, fine. But, personally, I'm not waiting until I get that perfect shot at his medulla oblongata before I start dinging the guy.
    My thoughts on the fight is "expectations" will get you killed. No two fights will be the same and they all will be what they are, be prepared to fight them that way. I do agree, any hit is better than no hit and the one who gets the first hit will usually rule the fight as it will set the tone. Once you control the fight you can fight it your way. And I see knowing the exact spot to target to stop the BG as being a good thing.

Once you control the fight the BG either runs away or you put him on the ground. I like his not moving once on the ground idea.

VIP Member
    The article is a good one, BUT

I believe that this quote below by duk is the sort of thinking outside the box is what one should strive for, if you want to survive a firefight.

Any shot will begin to discourage someone from continued agression and if all I have is an arm,leg or whatever, I'm taking the shot, instead of letting things progress and possibly never getting a hit, and worse, them putting me down.

Of course if a hit to the vitals is readily available, sure we'll send two or more along.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    IMHO COM is the Center of the mass being presented,if you see a leg shoot the leg,or whatever body part he shows,I also like the shoot em to the ground school of blastology
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    There are few among us who can shoot "surgically" under true duress. Thus, the CoM.

Whatever or wherever I hit, I pray it's sufficient to persuade my opponent to head elsewhere at double-time.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links