A new guilty pleasure

A new guilty pleasure

This is a discussion on A new guilty pleasure within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So from what I've read about the guy here... There's enough people that hate James Yeager and his videos that we could start a I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: A new guilty pleasure

A new guilty pleasure

So from what I've read about the guy here... There's enough people that hate James Yeager and his videos that we could start a I hate Yeager club... Funny thing is... I kinda like the guy. He's hilarious. I have recently been looking at his youtube videos and I agree with some of the stuff he say and disagree with others, but he's definitely the most colorful and entertaining of the sort as I've seen so far.
    FLArmadillo likes this.

That's called smart marketing. It makes certain his name gets out there, and controversy garners attention.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Who is James Yeager?

:)
    Civil_Response likes this.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    That's called smart marketing. It makes certain his name gets out there, and controversy garners attention.
    Yep, controversy sells, the lame stream media uses it all the time.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tet4 View Post
    Who is James Yeager?

:)
    Here you go: James Yeager - YouTube

Active Shooter Bag - YouTube
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Administrator
    NO. We are not starting a "I Hate Yeager" club.
    Not on this forum anyway.

He is a man with strong opinions. Some of those opinions are quite good. Different folks will (of course) agree with some of those opinions and discount others.

Watch his videos. Listen to what he has to say. This is America so...Like or "don't like" the way he says it. That is your prerogative.

Use whatever information you think might prove useful to you and disregard the remainder.

Certainly there is nothing to hate about the guy unless you just hate it if another person is strongly opinionated and puts those opinions "out there" in a very bold fashion.

He has a keen and cutting sense of humor and for sure he's somewhat entertaining but, some will naturally be turned off by his delivery methodology. That is OK.

But, (bottom line) he cannot force you to agree with everything that he believes so (as always) take/glean what you will from him...and leave the rest.

OD*
    Very well said, QK.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    My problems with Yeager are only the Endinburgh incident and the fact that he used that time as such a marketing ploy when he was building his business. I don't agree with some of the things he teaches and I love other things. In the end he is a knowledgeable dude with a huge ego and great marketing skills. He wouldn't be my first choice of people to be my "guru" if I felt a need for such things but I wouldn't think you'd be an idiot if you put him at the top of your list. I will openly admit that I do think the Yeager bashing is funny and I personally enjoy watching people hate someone that they've never met in much the same way I love reading Forrest Griffin's advice on prepping.
    Bubbiesdad likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member
    I don't hate him. If I ever spent time in his classes, I'm sure I would learn something.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I had never heard of him before I read this original post. I did check out a couple of his videos and saw nothing especially good or bad. I guess I'm lucky. He has some very strong opinions...and y'all know what they say about opinions...
    BigJon10125 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    My problems with Yeager are only the Endinburgh incident and the fact that he used that time as such a marketing ploy when he was building his business. I don't agree with some of the things he teaches and I love other things. In the end he is a knowledgeable dude with a huge ego and great marketing skills. He wouldn't be my first choice of people to be my "guru" if I felt a need for such things but I wouldn't think you'd be an idiot if you put him at the top of your list. I will openly admit that I do think the Yeager bashing is funny and I personally enjoy watching people hate someone that they've never met in much the same way I love reading Forrest Griffin's advice on prepping.
    I read a bit about the Edinburgh incident... I'm not so sure his actions where quite so damming... But I'll be the first to admit that I don't know to enough about it to really be informed. As I understand he was in the lead car of a 3 car group that got ambushed in Iraq. He forgot that he put the car in neutral and set the parking brake. All three car begin getting shot at and Yeager floored it but didn't go anywhere. He mistakenly thought the car had been disabled so he bailed into a ditch 30 feet away. He gets a lot of flak for not staying at a car actively being turned into swiss cheese to render first aid. 3 did die in the incident. You can actually see a video of it on youtube.

Lead Moderator
    Heck, if he can break the sound barrier he is ok in my mind.....................................Kidding, seriously he seems to have some good insight and ideas.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Removed. PM sent instead.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Administrator
    Here is a link to the after action review. If anybody is interested. I did read it a while back.
    I am not going to pass judgment on the guy. I wasn't there.
    I could probably "fault" him for the initial operator error but, What is an error? It's called an operator error because it wasn't intentional.
    I don't think calling the guy a coward is really a justified statement.
    They got hit with a pile of armor piercing from belt-feds punching through a soft skinned vehicle - the guy took cover and attempted to return fire but, ended up in a piss poor vantage point location. It wasn't like he grew feathers and turned yellow while he was high-tailing it outta there. He re-engaged toward the end when he perceived that he had a viable line of fire.
    They seemed to get hit so fast and so split second decisions were mandatory - would I have made the exact correct split second decision? I don't know? I hope that I would.
    Would the right decision have been the wrong decision for that exact scenario? I don't know that either so I just don't feel comfortable arm-chairing 32 Seconds total of a firefight when a mans reputation is hanging in the balance. So I'll take a pass on passing judgment.

It's 7 pages.
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...7t8bBFryMqcxrQ

Right when that event happened he had no way of knowing if they were going to get riddled for 30 seconds or 30 minutes. And it looked to me like he was just trying to get decent cover in order to return fire. Which he did ultimately do.
    He just ended up in a crap cover spot but, it wasn't like he had any time to find an ideal location.
    This (of course) is just my opinion and others have quite vocally disagreed. Which is their prerogative also.
    I have personally never been involved in a similar incident so feel free to take my opinion for what it's worth to you.
    Doodle, First Sgt and Fisher10 like this.

Well reading through the after action report I'm further convinced that Yeager may have made a mistake (car in park) but is no coward. I don't think anyone can judge him too much for the vehicle operator error given the sudden violence of the encounter.

Funny people call him a coward for "running away". When he was seeking cover from violent fire from a belt fed pkm machine gun (more likely more than 1 based on the report) cutting up his non armored sedan. Seems to me that's so far out of line its ridiculous.

Edit:

I wanted to add that the gripes I had about submarine life when I was in seem pretty ridiculous compared to imagining enduring anything like that video.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links