A training problem.

This is a discussion on A training problem. within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to take a few safety courses with my wife. The real problem is we are always on the road and when we are ...

Thread: A training problem.

A training problem.

I want to take a few safety courses with my wife. The real problem is we are always on the road and when we are home in Maine, there isn't a course available. What are some options for us? We had planned on returning to Maine next over Christmas thru New Years.

The other problem is due to our random traveling, I , *shaking head*, don't carry my weapons with me as I do not want to risk any weapons charge. We run in all lower 48 states and some states are not very tolerant to weapons. This means if I were to stop somewhere to take a class, I would have to rent or borrow a gun.

Any suggestions would be helpful, oh, and I already know to get off the road. We are planning to get off the road in June. (translation~rearmed....)
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

2. Remove Ads

Courses are available almost anywhere you may find yourself. I say almost. Sometimes it just requires a lot of research into the clubs/ranges/schools in that area.

If you find yourself in Texas send me a PM.

I used to drive OTR also there are a few places that i have seen that rent guns that might do the courses also. there's one in Albuquerque and i have seen a few around in Nevada and a few other states mostly in the southwest. if you go through Albuquerque quite a bit and want directions to the range there let me know i can give you directions, used to deliver just down the street from there all the time. there is a truck stop not to far from there that you can drop your trailer.
    911 Government sponsored dial a prayer!

Cool!
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    The real problem is we are always on the road and when we are home in Maine, there isn't a course available. What are some options for us?
    Many of the good ones are just a plane flight away. Consider doubling-up a vacation week with a "security" week, by taking in a special session by Thunder Ranch, GunSite, LFI, or any number of other well-known and -respected training groups.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I am not up on the laws of all ststes but I would assume that you can carry an unloaded gun in the vehicle anywhere. To be extra sure (since protection does not seem to be your concern) don't carry bullets. Then they really can't get you. Keep it locked away and buy ammo near the class location.

I had carried my gun in a safe without ammo and broken down for a while, I had some conserns about having it and have decided to not carry it in the truck. Besides, my parent company has made a very clear policy on no guns. This is the reason this will be my last lease here. I can't just quit now, I will loose too much invested. Just doing the best I can....

I like the idea of going on vacation to a class act school... I may just do that. But in the mean time, I would like to just take a simple safety class anywhere... Just gotta figure out where and when...

My Blazer Website

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Lew,
    Don't forget that if you are just looking to take a sit down type of safety class. Most gun shows have someone there givning those at a first come first serve basis. Their is bound to be one near one of your stops, and they are often on the weekends too. A half day layover, and you get to check out the booths full of guns to boot.

As far as a hands on class. I can only speak of one from personal experiance, Pat Goodale, You will want to go to the Montana class. If you took a good old KW up that rocky driveway in WV, well at least you would have an old KW when you left.

Very nice guy, and still works with LOE's and military, so he keeps up to date. They have weekend classes too. Maybe a nice one day layover or a weekend just off the travel plan.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Lew,

Oh yeah, Nice and Fitting Avatar.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Glad some one noticed!

It is actually my CB Handle ~ Optimus Prime....

My Blazer Website

Training Courses

Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    I want to take a few safety courses with my wife. The real problem is we are always on the road and when we are home in Maine, there isn't a course available. What are some options for us? We had planned on returning to Maine next over Christmas thru New Years.

The other problem is due to our random traveling, I , *shaking head*, don't carry my weapons with me as I do not want to risk any weapons charge. We run in all lower 48 states and some states are not very tolerant to weapons. This means if I were to stop somewhere to take a class, I would have to rent or borrow a gun.

Any suggestions would be helpful, oh, and I already know to get off the road. We are planning to get off the road in June. (translation~rearmed....)
    Hi There,

I have been away from the forums for awhile and have only recently returned.

Since you are in Maine, I would like to offer you and your wife my services. My Company, Williams Associates Protective Services, LLC is located in CT. While I realize that it is a bit far from your home, I am sure we can accomodate your needs and can also provide you with all necessary equipment.

Additional information about our services is available at my website located at www.wa-protective.com

Be Safe

Bryan S. Williams
    Williams Associates Protective Services, LLC
    www.wa-protective.com
    www.wttrw.com

Does'nt Mas Ayoob teach the LFI courses up in your homestate area also? You may look into one of his classes.
    A armed person is a citizen-An unarmed person is a future victim.

New Member Array Inspector Callahan's Avatar

Try NH

Lew,

While in New England you could try the SigArms Academy for some
    awesome classes. I will be there on Oct 28, 29 & 30th for a Concealed
    Carry Intermediate Class.

Most classes are taught in Epping, NH.
    http://www.sigarms.com/EducationTraining/

Also, you could try S & W in Springfield , MA

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...801&training=Y

Best of luck!
    IC