Review of the Tactical Rifle III Course From TDI Ohio>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This is a discussion on Review of the Tactical Rifle III Course From TDI Ohio>>>>>>>>>>>>> within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last weekend I completed the third and final Tactical Rifle course at TDI Ohio. Here's my write up on ThruMyLens: Review of the Tactical Rifle ...

Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Review of the Tactical Rifle III Course From TDI Ohio>>>>>>>>>>>>>

  1. #1
    Member Array Rolex_John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    102

    Review of the Tactical Rifle III Course From TDI Ohio>>>>>>>>>>>>>

    Last weekend I completed the third and final Tactical Rifle course at TDI Ohio. Here's my write up on ThruMyLens:

    Review of the Tactical Rifle III Course By TDI on ThruMyLens

    Enjoy and do let me know your thoughts!

    -John

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member Array First Sgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Florence, SC
    Posts
    7,967
    Interesting AAR. Thanks for taking the time to post. With that being said, don't you think it would be beneficial to seek a similar course with a different trainer. Perhaps you could garner even more experience and skill than just retaking the same courses thru TDI.

    Check out Fighting Rifle, Advanced Fighting Rifle, Intermediate Distance Fighting Rifle and THE WAY OF THE RIFLE at Tactical Response and Tactical Response

    Just a thought and an observation...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

  4. #3
    Member Array Rolex_John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    Interesting AAR. Thanks for taking the time to post. With that being said, don't you think it would be beneficial to seek a similar course with a different trainer. Perhaps you could garner even more experience and skill than just retaking the same courses thru TDI.

    Check out Fighting Rifle, Advanced Fighting Rifle, Intermediate Distance Fighting Rifle and THE WAY OF THE RIFLE at Tactical Response and Tactical Response

    Just a thought and an observation...

    Actually I have taken other training courses from other training institutions/trainers. I'm trying to exhaust my options within a reasonable driving distance (here in my home state of Ohio) before I look at other more expensive, less convenient options. TDI is a top rated school - there may not really be a need to go beyond what they have to offer for my own needs. Check 'em out.

  5. #4
    Ex Member Array pscipio03's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    406
    Heard of TDI, and read good reviews. Thanks for posting your opinion. May check em out soon.

  6. #5
    VIP Member
    Array tacman605's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Arkansas/On the X in Afghanistan
    Posts
    3,031
    Good review I have read all of them when they came out and glad to see you are continuing your training.

    Couple of observations/comments, in regards to the BAD lever and gloves and not being able to feel it with gloves on.

    Not being sarcastic but does it move to another location? Yes being able to see/feel a control lever is valuable but not needed. The mag release is in the same spot as is the selector lever and bolt release. Now I can understand you want to be able to feel the mag release button under your finger but again once you find the position needed to hit the mag release with your finger simply train yourself to put your finger in the same place. It is the same with the other controls the more you shoot the rifle you will know where to press, push or touch to operate the control.

    With the BAD lever this should be even easier as it is located inside the trigger guard. As long as you motion is "pushing through" for the lack of a better word, the front portion of the trigger guard I can virtually assure you that you will hit it.

    In one of the photos where you are firing offhand I noticed that you do not a a grip on the forearm your hand is simply supporting the rifle from underneath. Now it may be between shots, relaxing your hand or a moment in time when they took the pic but if that is how you normally shoot simply supporting the weapon from underneath I think you will find that a grip on the forearm, whatever you choose to use, will provide a more stable platform and better shot to shot performance.

    I always enjoy your reviews and photos and maybe one day I will be home long enough to get to TDI.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

  7. #6
    Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cleveland/Shaker Heights, Ohio - USA
    Posts
    1,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolex_John View Post
    Actually I have taken other training courses from other training institutions/trainers. I'm trying to exhaust my options within a reasonable driving distance (here in my home state of Ohio) before I look at other more expensive, less convenient options. TDI is a top rated school - there may not really be a need to go beyond what they have to offer for my own needs. Check 'em out.
    Costa's coming to NE-Ohio this spring/summer with his carbine classes.

  8. #7
    Member Array Rolex_John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Good review I have read all of them when they came out and glad to see you are continuing your training.

    Couple of observations/comments, in regards to the BAD lever and gloves and not being able to feel it with gloves on.

    Not being sarcastic but does it move to another location? Yes being able to see/feel a control lever is valuable but not needed. The mag release is in the same spot as is the selector lever and bolt release. Now I can understand you want to be able to feel the mag release button under your finger but again once you find the position needed to hit the mag release with your finger simply train yourself to put your finger in the same place. It is the same with the other controls the more you shoot the rifle you will know where to press, push or touch to operate the control.
    Not everyone is like you, and not everyone will like using a BAD lever with gloves on at night. I didn't.

    In one of the photos where you are firing offhand I noticed that you do not a a grip on the forearm your hand is simply supporting the rifle from underneath. Now it may be between shots, relaxing your hand or a moment in time when they took the pic but if that is how you normally shoot simply supporting the weapon from underneath I think you will find that a grip on the forearm, whatever you choose to use, will provide a more stable platform and better shot to shot performance.
    Actually we're trained to shoot this way. Gripping adds little to stability and can introduced torque/shake that can interfere with a long-distance shot. I got quite proficient at shooting off-hand from 200 yards.

    I always enjoy your reviews and photos and maybe one day I will be home long enough to get to TDI.[/QUOTE]

  9. #8
    Member Array SnareMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    223
    Good review. You just need better gloves. Those big huge bulky gloves that we both got are abysmal for shooting with. They would be better served for driveway shoveling duties with your driveway jacket. I can see why you couldn't feel your BAD lever with them. After I got used to my thinner work gloves (about 3 shots into Saturday morning) I didn't want to shoot without them the rest of the weekend (and didn't).

  10. #9
    VIP Member Array ghost tracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ky Backwoods
    Posts
    4,149
    I'm still trying to figure-out why you include 13 (THIRTEEN?) right-facing arrows in your thread title. Are you that concerned that your review won't attract enough attention around here? You're an aspiring blogger (224 posts on "ThruMyLens") I guess I'm unclear as to why you choose to stttttttttttudder uniquely at the members of this forum when your reviews don't ever include similar punctuational gymnastics.
    Last edited by ghost tracker; November 2nd, 2012 at 02:49 PM.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

  11. #10
    VIP Member
    Array tacman605's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Arkansas/On the X in Afghanistan
    Posts
    3,031
    Rolex_John.

    Well I do not use a BAD lever at all I was merely making an comment as far as your grip in your picture it did not look like you were shooting at the 200 yard line it looked like you were fairly close. When shooting close and transitioning from target to target and firing quickly gripping the rifle will provide more stability than letting it sit in your hand but go for what you know.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

  12. #11
    Member Array Rolex_John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by SnareMan View Post
    Good review. You just need better gloves. Those big huge bulky gloves that we both got are abysmal for shooting with. They would be better served for driveway shoveling duties with your driveway jacket. I can see why you couldn't feel your BAD lever with them. After I got used to my thinner work gloves (about 3 shots into Saturday morning) I didn't want to shoot without them the rest of the weekend (and didn't).
    Well, that could be...I guess I'll have to go to Lowe''s.

  13. #12
    Member Array Rolex_John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Rolex_John.

    Well I do not use a BAD lever at all
    Wow...I guess it doesn't make any sense to my why you'd weigh in on such an unsolicited comment on something you have no experience with.

    I was merely making an comment as far as your grip in your picture it did not look like you were shooting at the 200 yard line it looked like you were fairly close. When shooting close and transitioning from target to target and firing quickly gripping the rifle will provide more stability than letting it sit in your hand but go for what you know.
    Not knowing what photo you were looking at exactly, I didn't know what distance I was in the photo. Like you said originally, it could have been that the photo was snapped when I was releasing the gun. If you're doing rapid firing (close up) you can't do that without a good grip...that much should be fairly obvious.

    There's a lot of Internet "couch quarterbacks" that like to offer "advice" and criticism with less motivation for aiding an individual or a community, and more for ego and status. Not saying that's you, but that's just how you came across.

  14. #13
    VIP Member
    Array tacman605's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Arkansas/On the X in Afghanistan
    Posts
    3,031
    Rolex_John.

    Considering there are only about 6 pics in the review and only one of you with the relaxed grip shooting at close range it would come to reason that is the pic I was talking about but just for clarification it is this one.

    Attachment 0close range.jpg

    Now you are not shooting a 200 yards more like 15 yards or so. If you use a different grip up close great just like I stated in my post. Whatever grip you want use makes no difference to me in the least. If this was simply a moment in time where you relaxed your grip great and I believe I stated that. You posted a review and asked for thoughts and I gave you mine.

    In regards to a BAD lever no I do not run one on my AR. I use a Gen 1 Redi Mag and even though it will fit and function I don't need it. I have run guns with BAD levers and on stock guns they work fairly well although some shooters found that they were inadvertently engaging the bolt hold open. My comment was based on running an AR/M4/M-16 in general in real world places for a long time.
    This goes for any weapons system be it AR, AK, SIG, FN the controls don't move use the gun enough to develop muscle memory so you do not have to look or feel. A BAD lever would be the easiest of all simply because it is inside the trigger guard so whether you are wearing gloves or not it is still in the same place every time.

    If you post a review and ask for comments don't get butt hurt when someone states something other than "That was truly awesome". I am far from being the all knowing gun guru however I carry a weapon in a hostile enviroment to keep myself alive and have done so without any extra holes in me so take the comment for what it's worth or not it's your class, your training and your life.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

aar precision rifle class at tdi in ohio
,
intermediate distance fighting rifle aar
,

just right carbines review

,
redi-mag reviews 2012
,
tactical driving ohio
,
tactical rifle review
,
tactical rifle reviews
,
tdi ohio
,
tdi tactical rifle aar
Click on a term to search for related topics.