Position Sul

This is a discussion on Position Sul within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is not an opinion seeking query. Some folks like it, some hate it. I got it. Just searching for some facts. Thanks in advance. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Position Sul

Position Sul

This is not an opinion seeking query. Some folks like it, some hate it. I got it. Just searching for some facts. Thanks in advance.

I was invited to attend a 'workshop' for an Aspiring Instructor. Upon completing an exercise (as in, it was "called" over by AI) whereupon the pistol was drawn, and may/may not have been used, I went to Sul, did my 360 degree check, pointed out witnesses, evidence, etc.

In the AAR given by AI, Sul is referred to as:"South--sud...cover sud....I heard of this before...it's one way to get killed....no military or upper level LE teaches it....be careful, as it's a trademark for civilian instructors and looks cool--like the person is highly trained. STRESS....you shoot someone....it's not over....there might be another BG you don't easily see...never put your gun down....3rd Eye Concept....scan with your eyes and weapon until all is clear....and I mean when it's all clear."- AI

So, in my attempt to converse intelligently w this person, and hopefully better him as a gunhandler and AI, I'd like to use hard facts as to who is using/teaching Sul.

dan

2. Remove Ads

I'd never heard of this before, so no input, but in my google search I found this thread on it.

schweeet!
    Thank you.

dan

I get the importance of muzzle control but this seems a little overly tacticool to me.

We have been taught and practice sul. After firing, it's ready down until the threats are confirmed down and no more threats exits. Sul is ready but safe. You can go from sul the fire quickly and we practice that. There are other thing you can do in sul as well.

I've seen this technique in videos, but didn't know what its technical name was.

Learn something new everyday.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Piratesailor,
    thank you.
    When you say "we"......who's we? If you don't mind.

dan

Doodle,
    the how's and why's are another thread. I prefaced the thread w/ the statement I was aware that some like it, some don't. And I'm cool w each person's individual choice.
    Not being a "thread on track Nazi", I just am well aware of what the potential is for this topic to take a hard left. Please accept my statement in the friendliest of intent, and with all due respect.

dan

Administrator
    There are going to be some DC members who will have no idea what this thread is about so I have no problem with your thread being a bit more inclusive of the topic (in general) rather than just your point in the OP as long as members remain polite to one another and there is no "my way or the highway" attitudes expressed.

Position Sul. I don't think that there is anything inherently unsafe about a properly accomplished Position Sul since an extended trigger finger is always an integral part of the technique.
    The firearm muzzle is straight down and canted slightly away from the body and if moving correctly the muzzle does not cross the feet so that's non-problematic.
    As to exactly how ready "ready" is depends much on the individual and their training.

image credit to Tom Perroni

Quote Originally Posted by jdsumner View Post
    Piratesailor,
    thank you.
    When you say "we"......who's we? If you don't mind.

dan
    Dan, the we are me and my classmates and the tactical instructors we train with.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    There are going to be some DC members who will have no idea what this thread is about so I have no problem with your thread being a bit more inclusive of the topic (in general) rather than just your point in the OP as long as members remain polite to one another and there is no "my way or the highway" attitudes expressed.

Position Sul. I don't think that there is anything inherently unsafe about a properly accomplished Position Sul since an extended trigger finger is always an integral part of the technique.
    The firearm muzzle is straight down and canted slightly away from the body and if moving correctly the muzzle does not cross the feet so that's non-problematic.
    As to exactly how ready "ready" is depends much on the individual and their training.
    Agree about the training. Very important! Train, train, train.
    QKShooter likes this.

"Dan, the we are me and my classmates and the tactical instructors we train with. "- Piratesailor

Man, I hope the way I phrased my response didn't come across snyde. What I meant to say was "if you can, or will, can you tell me who some of your trainers or tactical schools are?" Or if you are with an LE agency, and they teach Sul, can you state who you are with?

My query to you was not in the vien of "yeah, so prove it". Far from it. And if you'd rather not say, I am cool with that.

Thanks,

dan

Q,
    that's why you get paid the big bucks!
    I believe the vast majority of folks here are 'live and let live' on a topic like this. But, I have seen threads track off pretty badly as well.

So, as long you're gonna keep an eye on it, I say "tally ho and pip pip"

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jdsumner View Post

So, in my attempt to converse intelligently w this person, and hopefully better him as a gunhandler and AI, I'd like to use hard facts as to who is using/teaching Sul.

dan
    jd, my experience with sul is with training with SI and it makes sense to me from what I've seen and be taught.

My experience with trying to change some instructors minds on what and how they teach is, it's not going to happen. (he seems to be one of those my way is best, if I didn't think of it it's wrong) May I suggest you take what you like from this guy and dump the rest. Let him keep teaching what he knows and thinks to be great and move on.

The main thing here is DO YOU like sul and do you think it is the best way to go with your gun handling in the situation you use it in. This AI is not the one in YOUR gunfight situation, let him handle his you take care of yours.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Oh, no problem Dan. Not taken any way but positive. I'm not LEO but from the family. I primarily train with MAST in Houston. They are combination of LE, civilian and military and my classmates are also a combination of the same. I really believe in training and practice at a variety of levels including sit awareness and medical.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links