Position SUL: like/dislike, useful/fad?

This is a discussion on Position SUL: like/dislike, useful/fad? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by AOK I also learned a variation of the SUL and Sentry position from an instructor at Ranger Firearm Instruction (local school here ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Position SUL: like/dislike, useful/fad?

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post

I also learned a variation of the SUL and Sentry position from an instructor at Ranger Firearm Instruction (local school here in Michigan) during a few sessions of private instruction. The instructor keeps the muzzle pointed down at the ground in the same manner and he places his hand over the firearm with his offhand similar to position sentry. While I don't train to often in this position I do like the idea of already having my hand on top of the firearm just in case.
    From what I understand you are saying I learned this to be called Covered Sul. Gun placed on your chest the same as with Sul only your hand is on top. I don't see Sul being used with someone who I feel to be a threat at arms length. I see it's use as a search and movement position. But do see it used for moving through a crowd, but I see using covered Sul there. So your off hand is on top not under the gun.

I see pointing your muzzle at the ground being the safest place to point it. The Sentry position is raising the muzzle from that position. I'd rather I shot myself in the foot as someone else if I screw up. But if you do Sul right your foot should be safe also, as the gun is pointed in front and between your feet. As with all gun handling trigger control is the answer.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

2. Remove Ads

Sponsor
    You can transition easily from Sentry to Sul, quite fluidly, too. When the off hand comes off to stiff arm, strike, or to hand signal to or halt someone from encroaching, the muzzle rolls downward as the shoulder rolls up.
    tacman605 likes this.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    From what I understand you are saying I learned this to be called Covered Sul. Gun placed on your chest the same as with Sul only your hand is on top. I don't see Sul being used with someone who I feel to be a threat at arms length. I see it's use as a search and movement position. But do see it used for moving through a crowd, but I see using covered Sul there. So your off hand is on top not under the gun.

I see pointing your muzzle at the ground being the safest place to point it. The Sentry position is raising the muzzle from that position. I'd rather I shot myself in the foot as someone else if I screw up. But if you do Sul right your foot should be safe also, as the gun is pointed in front and between your feet. As with all gun handling trigger control is the answer.
    I agree, if a threat was that close Sul is not my desired position to be in either. However, during your scanning and moving it is certainly possible someone could get caught off guard and attacked by another assailant while in position Sul.

When I was initially taught Sul I remember Mr. Fisher saying if you muzzle sweep your feet you aren't doing it right just as you stated.
    tacman605 likes this.

I don't have much formal training (it's slow, it never really stops though), but I've come to my own soft conclusion on Sentry / Sul --

Sentry is a faster-defense position, Sul is a faster-gun position. And if you've already fired multiple times, Sentry is a faster-burn-you-own-hand position.
    NRA Life / Endowment UT, FL, passed and waiting for IL at the moment.

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    It's a useful thing, I like it.
    My cats support the Second Amendment.

www.inshadowinlight.com

"Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DRM View Post
    This never happens with SENTRY.
    No, but if you keep it in the position shown in the photo it does sweep the lower body of people nearby as you turn, unlike SUL or covered SUL.

SUL is not just for pivoting and sweeping. SUL is also a way to move with the gun through a crowd when necessary to do so. It is not always practicable or desirable to holster the weapon before moving. SUL provides one method of keeping the gun more protected and reducing muzzle sweep in those situations.
    My cats support the Second Amendment.

www.inshadowinlight.com

"Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

Sponsor

Lightbulb

No, but if you keep it in the position shown in the photo it does sweep the lower body of people nearby as you turn, unlike SUL or covered SUL.
    Sentry is mainly for standing guard (thus the name) like watching over a suspect as you partner cuff him. But all you have to do is raise your strong side shoulder and elbow up (left side down) and the muzzle points down. I usually transition into a one handed SUL if I need to point the muzzle down.

My guys use SUL almost daily in police work (both one and two handed). Transitioning from Sentry to SUL (and back and fourth) is simple and fluid. It blends seamlessly with all of our shooting positions, too. But we use SUL as a tool (one of many) for house clearings mostly.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links