Sentry position - Page 3

Sentry position

This is a discussion on Sentry position within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am sure the officer in question knows the 4 safety rules and said rules were probably hammered home in training... And we can all ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Sentry position

Sponsor

Lightbulb

I am sure the officer in question knows the 4 safety rules and said rules were probably hammered home in training...
    And we can all see how effective her technique (or lack thereof) really was...

You can tell people to keep their finger off the trigger until your blue in the face. But telling them is just not enough. They need to be trained in proper gun handling techniques.

We have been teaching Sentry for a dozen years now with no reported A.D./N.D./Unintended Discharges whatsoever. It’s a proven technique that’s easy to teach, easy to learn and easy to execute.

It’s a simple fix and a preventative solution to an identified problem.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Quote Originally Posted by DRM View Post
    You can tell people to keep their finger off the trigger until your blue in the face. But telling them is just not enough. They need to be trained in proper gun handling techniques.

How about when they sign on/get hired, "if you ever have an ND, you are no longer part of this organization...no ifs ands or buts...sign here that you understand that".

A very strong incentive.

DRM likes this.

Sponsor

Thumbs up

Now, that would add a great deal of incentive to pay more attention, now wouldn't it!
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

www.TacticalShooting.com

Now, that would add a great deal of incentive to pay more attention, now wouldn't it!

Believe me, it DOES!

All these years, never an ND...

I'm hexing myself! LOL

OK... Why was the female officer pointing her gun at a already subdued subject? What ever would have justified her shooting him?... So why was her gun even in her hand? I noticed there was a plain clothed officer also with gun in hand but he seemed to have assumed an overwatch position keeping an eye on the crowd, and for other subjects.

Re: Sentry position

Don't know if it really matters any...but that video is from about the early 1990's. I worked for that department back in 2001 and it was being shown in the police academy then (probably still being shown today), their training has changed since then. From what I remember the female Officer didn't get fired...

Sponsor
    Thanks for the info Foxy.

www.TacticalShooting.com

Here's the problem:

This is a video clip filmed in a major city of a felony stop. I watched in horror as a female officer discharged her weapon while her partner was attempting to handcuff a suspect he had on the ground. The bullet struck the ground only inches away from the head of the suspect and the ricochet hit her partner. I knew that if the bullet had struck the suspect in the head would have been deemed an assassination by the press. Can you imagine the media impact??

While this accident was due in part to the high stress of the situation, the main reason for the A.D. was a lack of proper training, specifically, a lack of MUZZLE AWARENESS and a severe lack of TRIGGER FINGER AWARENSS.

When I was working in Law Enforcement, I always felt very uncomfortable hand cuffing a suspect I had on the ground while my partner was covering me, mainly because he was pointing his weapon at my head or hands most of the time.

To combat this problem, the “Sentry Position” was created. This unique method of holding the weapon was specifically developed for safety by allowing the officer to have both TRIGGER FINGER AWARENESS as well as MUZZLE AWARENESS. Weapons retention and fast deployment of the firearm was also incorporated into the design (Photos courtesy FIST-FIRE Book © 2002):

Attachment 64043

By having the pistol covered with the off hand the gun is held securely by the strong hand while the trigger finger remains “trapped” on the side of the dust cover. Both thumb pads are touching and the off hand is clasped around the forward half of the slide. Again, this affords the officer both muzzle and trigger finger awareness.
    Am I the only one who can't see any video clip? :-/)

Distinguished Member
    Sentry position looks somewhat dangerous for the sentry. The CAR appears to be better for everyone. Chances of hitting partner when he/she is in this position on the ground seem pretty high. Not a LEO, but I do watch all the TV cop shows. They always depict the best tactics. Please take this in the spirit it was posted in.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    Sentry position looks somewhat dangerous for the sentry. The CAR appears to be better for everyone. Chances of hitting partner when he/she is in this position on the ground seem pretty high. Not a LEO, but I do watch all the TV cop shows. They always depict the best tactics. Please take this in the spirit it was posted in.
    I'm guessing you intended this to be humorous?
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links