M&P 22 Training for my M&P40C ???

This is a discussion on M&P 22 Training for my M&P40C ??? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I love the M&P platform, so much that I just bought a duplicate M&P 40c. Already had 9mm barel, 12 extra magazines, crimson trace, and ...

Thread: M&P 22 Training for my M&P40C ???

M&P 22 Training for my M&P40C ???

I love the M&P platform, so much that I just bought a duplicate M&P 40c. Already had 9mm barel, 12 extra magazines, crimson trace, and holsters so the gun made sen$e.

I'm considering the M&P 22 for range training. With the price of ammo the .22LR is appealing. I'm new to shooting and this gun. Probably 1000 rounds down range. I would like to get into a routine of shooting 100 .22LR followed by 50 9mm/.40cal twice a week.

Anybody out there with an M&P EDC train with the M&P 22? What are your thoughts on it? Has it made your controll and accuracy better?

If I don't buy the M&P 22 I would probably put the ca$h into a reloading system. What makes more sense?

2. Remove Ads

Had the 9 (redundant - I have too many 9's if one can have "too many") and still have the 22.

I have to say... The M&P 22 is (honest, I can't believe I'm saying this myself) one of the funnest, most accurate (freakishly accurate), easy to shoot, best "fitting" pistols I've ever had, period. Tack-driving, cheap-shooting -- Love it, love it.

I couldn't really tell you if it made me a better shooter with the 9... Certainly cheaper to get used to the feel of the weapon. Personally, I'd just tell you to run out and get one no matter what.

Heck, if the thing was a little smaller, it'd probably be my 'regular' -- Say what you want about 22LR power, but when you're making 3" rapid-fire groups (I'm sure there are plenty that can with larger calibers - I'm just not one of 'em), the "confidence" level has an effect...

You'll go through a lot more in targets though - Those orange bulls-eyes don't last long.
    NRA Life / Endowment UT, FL, IL

I have a M&P9c and I use my M&P22 for practice purposes. Fun firearm, love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Gish View Post
    I have a M&P9c and I use my M&P22 for practice purposes. Fun firearm, love it!
    Would you say there is a transfer of skills from the 22 to the 9mm. What do you gain from the 22? Trigger controll? Muscle memory? I looks like a fun/cheap gun to shoot. Just looking for a justification for a fun purchase. Thanks.

Lead Moderator
    Sounds like a good plan to me. More trigger time the better you will get. A similar pistol make sense with familiarity of controls and grip.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member
    I have heard the triggers are quite different. I actually emailed S&W and asked them about a 22 lr conversion kit for the M&P line up. I got a response a day or 2 later, it had been kicked around in the research department but nothing had come of it so far. Said they passed the email on, still think it would be a great product and make em lots of money.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post
    Would you say there is a transfer of skills from the 22 to the 9mm. What do you gain from the 22? Trigger controll? Muscle memory? I looks like a fun/cheap gun to shoot. Just looking for a justification for a fun purchase. Thanks.
    I would say the biggest carry over is just the general feel of the firearm. The triggers are different. However, it still feels almost the same while holding/firing it. Just less recoil. So I'll shoot the 22 most of the time, then finish off with the 9 so it's the last one I shoot since it's my carry pistol.

I have considered getting an LCR 22 to practice with instead of my 38SPCL LCR. But the 22's trigger is heavier and won't exactly replicate the trigger of the 38 so I probably won't add it to my collection.

You may run into the same dilemma with the M&P22.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by chasbo00 View Post
    I read the article and completely agree with it. As much as I enjoy shooting my Ruger SR22, I find that too much of it causes me to develop bad habits for shooting a harder recoiling gun. Granted, there would be some gun handling benefits to having a 22 that mimics your larger gun. But I don't think it works out well for managing recoil and grip for followup shots. Just the opposite, in fact.

Links