Warriors often do not hear the shouted communications

This is a discussion on Warriors often do not hear the shouted communications within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by rjfleming The rule for a Infantry Fire Team Leader is "Follow Me, Do As I Do" The way to lead in combat ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Warriors often do not hear the shouted communications

JMB
    Quote Originally Posted by rjfleming View Post
    The rule for a Infantry Fire Team Leader is "Follow Me, Do As I Do" The way to lead in combat is from the front, that way Your actions and Hand Signals will be seen by all.
    That I can understand, just not when they are shooting.

2. Remove Ads

I once tried to get a man to move from an exposed position to cover during a fire fight. Despite several of us shouting at him numerous times and laying down supressing fire to allow him to move, he remained where he was. He then fired off a parachute flare ( it was night time ) which exposed the rest of our squad and made his own position even worse. When it was over and I got to where I could speak to him in a reasonable manner, I asked him why he had not listened to us. He said he had not heard any of the verbal communication directed at him. The distance across which we had been shouting at the top of our lungs was about 40 feet. I don't know the technical term for it, but it sure is possible to go deaf and dumb when you are scared.

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    That I can understand, just not when they are shooting.
    Because when you're in combat, you're not standing in a straight line, being careful not to cross the firing line (unless you're talking about the Revolutionary War, of course).
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

JMB
    No kiddin' ?

Doesn't really answer my question...but thanks anyway.

JMB
    No kiddin' ?

No kiddin' ?

Ever hear of bound and overwatch?
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

No kiddin' ?

How does that not answer your question?

"Out front of firing troops....hmmm...something doesn't sound right here..."

What doesn't sound right about being in front of firing troops? There will always be somebody in the front of a group of troops, so what doesn't sound right about it?
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

This is why during my training, IE bounding, breaking contact, assaulting through drills etc... TWO of Three forms of communications are required... Audio, Visual or Physical... when bounding in two man teams you yelling and grabbing or slapping your partner on the shoulder work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    Got that...but it wasn't called training, it was called Viet Nam and those BGs were real.
    Me too, (Cam Ranh Bay) but we are the minority. If one has not been there it can be difficult to understand. I am not smart enough to explain it here on a forum.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    There are lots of things about the gun and its use that can't be learned or understood from reading something on a forum or book or even watching a DVD, that's why going and getting personal training with a (good) qualified instructor. That teaches gunfight not just how to shoot your gun and make small groupings.

There is a difference in surviving a gunfight and the shooting of the gun. Yes it most likely will take shooting of the gun to survive but it also comes down to mindset. That is the question for most, "do you have it"?
    Doghandler likes this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

JMB
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Ever hear of bound and overwatch?
    Yeah, I know a little about it.

The key here is training your dudes to take themselves in an out of the zone in order to here your commands of the commands of the man on there left and right. You can train to this, but you only REALLY get it down after practicing in a combat scenario, I know that sounds funny to practice in a combat scenario but just because its combat doesn't mean you don't get together in the wire and discuss all the things that went wrong or could have been improved. I have seen this Auditory exclusion happen all the time and have been victim to it, for me it just took getting used to 'getting in and out of the RCO (or acog watev.)' as I would put it. Having the muscle memory of engaging and then purposefully engaging your ears and recognizing your immediate surroundings. Again this may not work for everyone but just because Dave Grossman says it or whoever doesn't mean its true ALL the time, just like when I post something its not true all the time. Just personal experience, and I have seen the youngest/greenest kids be able to adapt to this, just takes training and repetition.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links