Warriors often do not hear the shouted communications

This is a discussion on Warriors often do not hear the shouted communications within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is something you may find of interest. This is one reason I say don't talk while the fight is on. It's not going to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Warriors often do not hear the shouted communications

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar

Here is something you may find of interest. This is one reason I say don't talk while the fight is on. It's not going to be heard or at least heard right.

Warriors often do not hear the shouted communications that occur in combat. Small unit leaders have always understood that in order to get the attention of their troops and be heard and be seen in combat, they have to be in front of them. Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, On Combat------------------------------ This concept makes for a great firearms training exercise we refer to as The "Auditory Exclusion Drill." (Remove hearing protection for best training feedback) Two shooters fire in a pattern, one after another. (Not in unison) Shooter 1 fires one shot, right after the shot is fired from shooter 1, shooter 2 fires two shots then repeat same firing pattern with as little time in between shots as possible), while taking turns yelling tactical commands such as "guy on the left has a gun" or "I'm out of ammo, cover me, I'm reloading." Then when the mags are empty and the smoke has settled, see how much information you heard clearly from your shooting partner.... Did the spectators who were watching the drill catch anything clearly? If you think you can communicate in a gunfight/flash attack, you may be surprised... Benjamin Rakhman of Executive Protection Institute and International Protection Group ...
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

That is not new. And for folks to remove their hearing protection for a drill is plain stupid.
    dukalmighty, Hopyard and joker1 like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I have to wonder how we survived when I was a kid and "ears & eyes" (protectors) were not even available. Yes, I use them now.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    I have to wonder how we survived when I was a kid and "ears & eyes" (protectors) were not even available. Yes, I use them now.
    I survived, but have had tinnitis since I was a teen.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I'm with Suntzu,there may be times you have no choice but to fire without hearing protection,but there is no reason to damage your hearing for a training session
    joker1 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

JMB
    Small unit leaders have always understood that in order to get the attention of their troops and be heard and be seen in combat, they have to be in front of them.

Out front of firing troops....hmmm...something doesn't sound right here...need a little more clarification on this.

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    Out front of firing troops....hmmm...something doesn't sound right here...need a little more clarification on this.
    The best way to understand this is to get some combat training.
    0331 likes this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

JMB
    Really? Maybe you could just explain it a little.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post

Your hand in front of his face should do! This is one of the reasons Leos shout over and over the directions. And the reason you are very likely to be shot by a responding Leo when you don't respond to his verbal commands! DR

That is why I wear hearing aids today. It would be nice if you could ask the aggressors to wait while you put in the hearing protection. But some how I don't think they would agree.
    In training you would not want me to catch you without protection in. It would be a bad day for you and your fire team leader.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dV8r View Post
    The best way to understand this is to get some combat training.
    Got that...but it wasn't called training, it was called Viet Nam and those BGs were real.
    Brad426, BurgerBoy and pittypat21 like this.

The rule for a Infantry Fire Team Leader is "Follow Me, Do As I Do" The way to lead in combat is from the front, that way Your actions and Hand Signals will be seen by all.

This is one of the things I've had an issue with. During training, if you are going to run the scenario over and over again, then I can see wearing ear pro, however, once all is well, then run the scenario without ear pro to see the difference. When we are caught up in a real world scenario, whether it be Military, LEO or even a CCer on the sidwalk, we are not going to put ear pro in before the encounter. We should all learn how the firearm is going to affect our hearing when the SHTF. Repetative training, though, wear your ear pro.

Do soldiers typically wear hearing protection when in combat?

Quote Originally Posted by beni View Post
    Do soldiers typically wear hearing protection when in combat?
    Nope, which is my point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links