Will you engage?

This is a discussion on Will you engage? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TodaysBushcraft You can't smoke at any position in formation. So who called formation!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Will you engage?

Quote Originally Posted by TodaysBushcraft View Post
    You can't smoke at any position in formation.
    So who called formation!

2. Remove Ads

Tough question. Since I am an average citizen and not a profesional warrior I find it useful to study actual situations and critically examine my own behavior and readiness in similar situations. An example that came to mind again lately is...

I'm standing in line to meet a Congresswomen. I notice an individual wearing an over coat on a warm day. He cuts in line and is told by the Congressmen's staff to move to the end of the line which he does. Then he walks quickly back to the front where he draws a pistol, shoots the Congresswoman and then starts shooting people in the crowd. I ask myself would I have been aware enough to notice and be concerned about the guy in the over coat? Would I have been watching him when he drew and responded by 'engaging' him myself? How long would I have hesitated? Would I have even gone so far as to follow him forward in the line just to be closer if he got violent?

There are others, real situations that I think demand our attention, study and consideration because even though every situation is different there are elements of each situation that if they are programmed in may cause the 'hesitation' to be a critical second shorter.
    Last edited by rideandshoot; November 27th, 2012 at 01:13 AM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    Not a yes or no question...every situation is different..some situations will not allow you to engage. Are you directly at risk ?? Could bystanders be harmed by your actions were you to engage ?? Are there people in your line of fire behind the BG that should you miss you could kill one of them instead ?? Be aware..think twice..act once...
    Let me perhaps clear things up a bit for you dben...I wasn't addressing the OP...I was addressing MY response directly to YOUR "implied" engage situation.

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    Sarge....calm down son...the question did not directly address the fact of your life being in danger..if it is of course you engage..but as you and I know there are many instances where cc'ers (made that word up) engage when they should not. That's what I was addressing.....Now..parade rest, (sorry make that at ease...(credit Ksgunner))
    smoke em if you got em....
    Au Contraire dben...As pointed out in BOLD above, and in my response, it most certainly DID address a life being in danger, simply by the way you wrote your response.

Now, with that out of the way..I have a special request for you dben...Feel free to refer to me any way you desire, but Top or Shirt is the appropriate response to my earned position...IF you prefer Sarge, and it makes you feel good, so be it. I am NOT your Son... And for the record, IF you've served, then I'll accept your condescending attitude to a point... As for your obvious other misunderstandings of military protocol, others have already pointed it out

Be safe Sir...

Shirt
    d2jlking likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I do train, both physically and mentally, and I believe I would engage if the situation called for it, but I can't say for sure until (unless) I am faced with it.
    Ksgunner likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    I do train, both physically and mentally, and I believe I would engage if the situation called for it, but I can't say for sure until (unless) I am faced with it.
    Smokin, I think there are many, including me, who stand in your shoes. Ready to the best of our ability without actually having faced the tiger. But I also think there are many out there who will not allow themselves to even think in the minds the thought of actually shooting someone. They have their gun and having will keep them safe without ever firing that gun. BGs will run at the sight of it, IMO, what they will find is it taken away and used on them or just shot by the BG.

Guys at least think about actually pulling the trigger before the fight because once the fight is happening my will not have time to think, just to do.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    Smokin, I think there are many, including me, who stand in your shoes. Ready to the best of our ability without actually having faced the tiger. But I also think there are many out there who will not allow themselves to even think in the minds the thought of actually shooting someone. They have their gun and having will keep them safe without ever firing that gun. BGs will run at the sight of it, IMO, what they will find is it taken away and used on them or just shot by the BG.

Guys at least think about actually pulling the trigger before the fight because once the fight is happening my will not have time to think, just to do.
    Yep, that's the key. When faced with a bad situation, I know I will fall back to my level of training. If I have never actually trained myself, both physically and mentally for that possible eventuality, I have probably already lost. I know there are many cases of untrained people being able to successfully defend themselves with a firearm, but in my opinion they were just lucky. I don't want to have to rely on luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links