Will you engage?

Will you engage?

This is a discussion on Will you engage? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here are the facts as found at that time. I see it as to their training or mindset, the question then is. Have you trained ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Will you engage?

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar

Will you engage?

Here are the facts as found at that time. I see it as to their training or mindset, the question then is. Have you trained your mindset to engage? Only you can answer that question and most will get their answer when the time comes.

But I see training of mindset as important, if not more important, than the training with a gun.
    First Sgt likes this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

No link or embedded thingy appears in your post, at least from my end. Can you re-post a separate link to whatever it is you're pointing out??
    suntzu likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

[QUOTE=Bill MO;2464698]Here are the facts as found at that time. I see it as to their training or mindset, the question then is. Have you trained your mindset to engage? Only you can answer that question and most will get their answer when the time comes.

But I see training of mindset as important, if not more important, than the training with a gun.[/QUOTE
    ]

Merriam Webster defines "Mindset" as "a mental inclination, tendency or habit".

There is a quote from Paul "Bear" Bryant that goes something like "It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters". This comes from a person who knew about preparation and winning at the highest levels.

Most of us believe we have the right mindset, yet if we look at this definition and quote we see that just because we may have the inclination to win, without preparation we may not achieve the desired results.

While some people are born fighters most of us are not. So yes, I believe mindset has to to be developed through training and regularly practiced.

I'm already married, so...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

There's only one way to find out, and unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) we have no control over when that is.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Not a yes or no question...every situation is different..some situations will not allow you to engage. Are you directly at risk ?? Could bystanders be harmed by your actions were you to engage ?? Are there people in your line of fire behind the BG that should you miss you could kill one of them instead ?? Be aware..think twice..act once...
    garyacman likes this.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Are we talking about a clutch?
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    Not a yes or no question...every situation is different..some situations will not allow you to engage. Are you directly at risk ?? Could bystanders be harmed by your actions were you to engage ?? Are there people in your line of fire behind the BG that should you miss you could kill one of them instead ?? Be aware..think twice..act once...
    I find your post quite interesting..Let's take it one at a time on your questions, shall we...

Are you directly at risk? Sir, I submit to you, if I were not directly at risk, the thought of engaging would never cross my mind.

Could bystanders be harmed by my actions, should I engage? Absolutely! There is always that possibility if you are in a "life threatening" situation requiring engagement. That's where your mindset and training will enter into the picture..JMO

Are there people in the line of fire behind the BG, that might be injured should I miss after deciding to engage? It's a mute question, if you are in threat of losing your life. Train, train train. Know where your shots will be going...KNOW YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND..However, in a life or death situation, should you hesitate, it may be your last hesitation.

If you aren't prepared for the consequences, then you aren't prepared for the responsibility to carry...JMO
    glockman10mm and garyacman like this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I agree that one must Train, Train, Train in order to be prepared to take a human life. I have been told all my life, "Thou shalt not Kill", that training is going to remain for some time I think. I also believe the thought will be there should the need ever arise and I hope and pray it does not.

So, I will continue to train myself on when and how to shoot straight when needed.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Sarge....calm down son...the question did not directly address the fact of your life being in danger..if it is of course you engage..but as you and I know there are many instances where cc'ers (made that word up) engage when they should not. That's what I was addressing.....Now..parade rest, (sorry make that at ease...(credit Ksgunner))
    smoke em if you got em....
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    Sarge....calm down son...the question did not directly address the fact of your life being in danger..if it is of course you engage..but as you and I know there are many instances where cc'ers (made that word up) engage when they should not. That's what I was addressing.....Now..parade rest, smoke em if you got em....
    You can only smoke em from "at ease" or "at rest", not "parade rest", what are you "Navy"?

I did (crazy neighbor tried to break into my house).

It was a last resort and I didn't have to shoot (thank God).
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

New Member Array TodaysBushcraft's Avatar

Will you engage?

You can't smoke at any position in formation.

Sent from my Tactical Communication Device.

VIP Member

Would depend on the situation.

mprp, suntzu and mano3 like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Sorry about that was in a hurry this morning before going to work. From Grossman

After World War II U.S. Army Brigadier General S. L. A. Marshall asked these average soldiers what it was that they did in battle. His singularly unexpected discovery was that, of every hundred men along the line of fire during the period of an encounter, an average of only 15 to 20 "would take any part with their weapons." This was consistently true "whether the action was spread over a day, or two days or three."Lt. Col. Dave Grossman,
    I wonder if most because mostly of this quote from Ksgunner
    "Thou shalt not Kill".
    Which should be quoted as saying "Thou shalt not murder", but can and will most actually pull the trigger in their time of need. IMO training of the mind as well as the gun is needed to succeed with that test for your life.

People from the past where raised in a manner that prepared them for things people of today just aren't prepared for. City life leave one short when it comes to somethings about just how things are and are going to be. Again IMO
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links