What do you think of the finish on the newer Glocks?

This is a discussion on What do you think of the finish on the newer Glocks? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently aquired a late Gen 3 Glock with a much plainer finish on the slide and barrel. While I don't necessarily like its looks ...

Thread: What do you think of the finish on the newer Glocks?

I recently aquired a late Gen 3 Glock with a much plainer finish on the slide and barrel. While I don't necessarily like its looks ( although it does seem to fit the personality of the Glock ), I do like the feel of it much better. I find I can get a much better non slip grip when racking the slide. Opinions?

Re: What do you think of the finish on the newer Glocks?

While I've only had my Gen 4 27 for a month, the finish on it seems similar to the finish on the Gen 3's. My dads duty gun was a Gen 3 22 that he carried for 15 years and there is minimal wear on it.

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    While I've only had my Gen 4 27 for a month, the finish on it seems similar to the finish on the Gen 3's. My dads duty gun was a Gen 3 22 that he carried for 15 years and there is minimal wear on it.
    I read somewhere, I think on this forum, that Glock might have gone back to the previous finish, but I don't think anyone was sure about it. My recent purchase was test fired ( according to the little envelope with the spent casing in it ) in March, 2011, so it obviously is not the latest thing. But I saw a lot of Glocks in the shop where I purchased it that had the plain ( kind of gray looking ) finish. Does anyone know what the real skinny is?

I think you'll find the answer here:

Tenifer discontinued

Quote Originally Posted by dbglock View Post
    I think you'll find the answer here:

Tenifer discontinued
    I read that as meaning the plainer finish is going to be the thing and the older shinier finish is on its way out. Do I have that right? As an aside, I was under the impression that the tennifer treatment was embedded into the metal and then an external finish was applied afterward. Do I have that right? The further I go the confuseder ( my word ) I get!

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjns View Post
    I read that as meaning the plainer finish is going to be the thing and the older shinier finish is on its way out. Do I have that right? As an aside, I was under the impression that the tennifer treatment was embedded into the metal and then an external finish was applied afterward. Do I have that right? The further I go the confuseder ( my word ) I get!
    Yes, the slide was Parkerized during the Tenifer days but is using something else (anybody?) now. Mine looks like what I'd call Gunmetal Pearl. Has that slightly flaky look. It's a Gen4.

Sponsored Links