.44 magnum, 25 yards...

This is a discussion on .44 magnum, 25 yards... within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; dbglock, noooooo! Haha! I can't group off hand! I can with my Makarov, but not with the magnum. I used that bench to get zeroed. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: .44 magnum, 25 yards...

03 [OP]
    dbglock, noooooo! Haha! I can't group off hand! I can with my Makarov, but not with the magnum. I used that bench to get zeroed. It's the only way I could zero.

2. Remove Ads

03 [OP]
    glockman10mm, I have seen 340 grain bullets advertised, but I'm staying away from them! Hahaha!

03 [OP]

Shooting tripod/stick

Good things are worth waiting for, and my tripod arrived today. Won't shoot live from it until school is out for Christmas holidays and my son can shoot with me. Since I have my zero nailed down, I can concentrate on first round accuracy with the tripod in preparation for next deer season. Am very, very pleased with this tripod. I ordered it on line from Midway USA. BOG POD CLD 3S. It is the shortest, as off hand I shoot from kneeling. Extends up to 42" in heigth. Although they can be purchased up to 68". 007.jpg006.jpg008.jpg009.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Love that .44 mag......use to shoot sillouhettes at 100 yards with my Model 29....nice shootin'......
    Yeah! Another Model 29 silhouette shooter from days of yore! I used to embrace hunter pistol silhouette competition with a passion. Shot several matches a month during the season with lots of practice rounds at the gun club. Ninety percent of the time I used this Smith & Wesson Model 29 with 8 3/8-inch barrel. A Model 29-2, it didn't possess the "performance upgrades" of the Model 29-3 yet took the punishment of shooting large quantities of heavy handloads for 4 seasons, from 1980 through 1983. In 1983 the rules changed to allow scoped handguns so scoped Contenders became all the rage. I didn't desire to compete using scopes or a Contender so concluded my competition efforts except for fun.

Despite its heavy use, the revolver never battered itself apart, went out of time, or gave a peep of trouble. Only the erosion of its forcing cone betrays it's competition past but the revolver is as accurate as ever. The load was the maximum H110 grain load as published in the 1978 Sierra manual less 1 1/2 grains of powder, using their 240 grain jacketed hollow point. Even though not quite maximum, this load is now heavier than most all listed H110 loads for 240 grain jacketed bullets found in current manuals. It gave a muzzle velocity of 1478 fps from the long snout of the Model 29, with 1164 ft./lbs of muzzle energy and wonderful accuracy. The Sierra 240 grain bullet was taken up to Sierra's maximum listed load but only yielded 1540 fps for the extra grain and a half of powder. Primers were looking flattened and extraction wasn't positive so the lesser powder charge weight was deemed appropriate. A couple of white tail deer were also taken with this handload. One of those, a largish (for Texas) buck, was struck high in the front of the chest from head-on at about 30 yards, sat down hard and flopped over. Very effective it was.

In hindsight I believe that the revolver held up to repeated 40-round strings of that particular loading better than I did. I had to fight a flinch for a while, even after ceasing the high volume shooting with the revolver and load. 03 states that his revolver weighs 56 oz.. If I recall correctly, the Smith & Wesson Model 29 weighed in at 48 oz. with the 8 3/8-inch barrel.

Full powered .44 Magnum shooting is still a glorious thing to experience!
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by 03 View Post
    dbglock, noooooo! Haha! I can't group off hand! I can with my Makarov, but not with the magnum. I used that bench to get zeroed. It's the only way I could zero.
    I hear ya! I can make that group with my G23 from 20 ft, and there are plenty of people who can outshoot me, but 25 yds with a .44 seemed a little far-fetched for offhand! Looks like you got it "dialed in" now.
    03 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dbglock View Post
    Yeah, I'm glad I looked at the pictures first because I was about to call you out on this. I thought you were claiming offhand, a feat Dirty Harry couldn't reproduce.
    It is actually quite easy to shoot that well off hand.
    bmcgilvray and 03 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Yeah! Another Model 29 silhouette shooter from days of yore! I used to embrace hunter pistol silhouette competition with a passion. Shot several matches a month during the season with lots of practice rounds at the gun club. Ninety percent of the time I used this Smith & Wesson Model 29 with 8 3/8-inch barrel. A Model 29-2, it didn't possess the "performance upgrades" of the Model 29-3 yet took the punishment of shooting large quantities of heavy handloads for 4 seasons, from 1980 through 1983. In 1983 the rules changed to allow scoped handguns so scoped Contenders became all the rage. I didn't desire to compete using scopes or a Contender so concluded my competition efforts except for fun.

Despite its heavy use, the revolver never battered itself apart, went out of time, or gave a peep of trouble. Only the erosion of its forcing cone betrays it's competition past but the revolver is as accurate as ever. The load was the maximum H110 grain load as published in the 1978 Sierra manual less 1 1/2 grains of powder, using their 240 grain jacketed hollow point. Even though not quite maximum, this load is now heavier than most all listed H110 loads for 240 grain jacketed bullets found in current manuals. It gave a muzzle velocity of 1478 fps from the long snout of the Model 29, with 1164 ft./lbs of muzzle energy and wonderful accuracy. The Sierra 240 grain bullet was taken up to Sierra's maximum listed load but only yielded 1540 fps for the extra grain and a half of powder. Primers were looking flattened and extraction wasn't positive so the lesser powder charge weight was deemed appropriate. A couple of white tail deer were also taken with this handload. One of those, a largish (for Texas) buck, was struck high in the front of the chest from head-on at about 30 yards, sat down hard and flopped over. Very effective it was.

In hindsight I believe that the revolver held up to repeated 40-round strings of that particular loading better than I did. I had to fight a flinch for a while, even after ceasing the high volume shooting with the revolver and load. 03 states that his revolver weighs 56 oz.. If I recall correctly, the Smith & Wesson Model 29 weighed in at 48 oz. with the 8 3/8-inch barrel.

Full powered .44 Magnum shooting is still a glorious thing to experience!
    Well, I gotta tell ya, the profile of a 29 like that shooter there always makes my heart skip a beat. I could do without every gun I have but 3, the 5 screw hand ejector circa 1949, the Colt Gov model, and the N frame 44.

I have been in bidding wars for a few weeks now over some 5 and 6 inch 29s and 629s.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Not the greatest shooting ever accomplished but this was a photograph of the first effort ever made with the Smith & Wesson Model 57 .41 Magnum on its inaugrual trip to the range. Left to right: 10, 15, 25, and 50 yards with a new untested full-powered handload in a newly acquired revolver.
    glockman10mm and 03 like this.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Heres two at 30 off hand.

Heres six at 50 with an improvised rest ( field position) using my knees for an elbow rest

How about 6 at 100 yards with the same rest?

And finally, 6 shots with 2 different loads fired off hand at 50 yards. ( orange is pumpkin splat)

I have no idea where one of the rounds went. Just a miss I guess.

Sweet shooting guys. Maybe when the weather clears up around here, (we're getting a pretty good storm rolling in as I type this) I'll have to take the scope off of mine and see how I do with the good ol' paper plate at those yardages. If I post them, promise not to laugh and I promise to post a pic of a perfect paper plate if I completely miss.
    03 likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

My wife was looking in on Gman's groups above and remarked that the second photo from the top looked like the Little Dipper.
    03 likes this.

mprp, believe me, I have some groups that I will NEVER post, lol!

Some days I can't miss and some I can't hit!
    bmcgilvray, mprp and 03 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    My wife was looking in on Gman's groups above and remarked that the second photo from the top looked like the Little Dipper.
    Darne if it don't! Ha! Never noticed.
    03 likes this.

03 [OP]
    bmcgilvray, appreciate the input much, man. Wish I could try out a competition like that or at least see one. Have never seen it on the Outdoor Channel, where many of the competitions involve people darting around objects and emptying their ammo real quick & reloading. A competition such as you describe - that is the only type that I would like to study in depth. Now that I know it's called silhouette competition, I can Google it on YouTube. The competition you describe is familiar to me from when I was a rifleman, and we qualified with iron sights at distance. Just looked up the specs on my Bull - I was wrong, 63 ounces. But it is a .44 magnum bored into the frame of the larger 454 Casull. Too bad I have to leave for work shortly, or I would Google silhouette competetion right now...I guess I am a Recoil Weenie! Haha! Seeing what you and some of the others are putting through their magnums! I never flinch on the first shot, it's the follow ups where I anticipate...Have included an image of the 444 I have. It is the only .44 magnum I had ever seen, and its futuristic appearance immediately grabbed me - and my credit card!1.jpg

03 [OP]
    Glockman 10mm, It is easy for me to hit the paper off hand at 25 yards, but no group! Hahaha! Now, I can group @ 25 yards off hand with my Makarov, but not a tight group.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links