.44 magnum, 25 yards...

.44 magnum, 25 yards...

This is a discussion on .44 magnum, 25 yards... within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All of these hits occurred within circumference of a snuff can. The three holer 007.jpg 004.jpg 011.jpg to the right can all fit within the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: .44 magnum, 25 yards...

03 [OP]

.44 magnum, 25 yards...

All of these hits occurred within circumference of a snuff can. The three holer007.jpg004.jpg011.jpg to the right can all fit within the circumference of a quarter. Anticipation of recoil caused me to pull on the last three.
    bmcgilvray and ANGLICO like this.

VIP Member
    Photo make it look like more than 25 yards away. Thats good shooting!
    03 likes this.

Nice! Is that your own back yard? If so, I'm very jealous!
    03 likes this.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Snuff can is ~2.75" in diameter. 1 MOA at 25 yards is ~.25". So you're holding ~11 MOA with 5 shots from a padded rest with a ported 8" Taurus .44 Mag revolver. Nice shooting.
    03 and C hawk Glock like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

03 [OP]
    Thanks, MrBuckwheat, I feel bad that I spoiled that group though. People say this gun doesn't kick, but it does. What I was doing this AM was getting it zeroed at 25 yards. Despite my flinch, I did zero it.

03 [OP]
    Thanks, Ghost Tracker! But I DID anticipate the recoil and pulled on three of those. I ruined what could have been six hits in the diameter of a quarter.

IMHO, big revolvers kick harder...off a bench! (just like big everything else)
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

03 [OP]
    Thanks, Chevy SS! Yeah, when I finished my enlistment, I'd saved enough to buy a place with cash. I got this 5 acres back in '93 for 10,000. Had utilities and a 30 year old trailer on it. We stayed in the trailer 2 years & then had a Jim Walters house built. It aint much, but everything's paid off. And I have my 25 yard pistol range. The impact area is the pond dam.

03 [OP]
    Ghost Tracker, the problem I had shooting from the bench is that the recoil went to both my elbows, which were planted firmly on the hard surface of the shooting bench. And it hurt. Every time. Had I brought a pillow to set under my elbows, I'd have gotten a tighter group - I'm sure of it.

03, I like your gun, your gear & your shooting...yet why would your start three different threads about your gun, your gear & your shooting all between 3:20 and 4:04 pm today? Wouldn't just one thread do?
    03 likes this.

Aint bad at all! Plenty good enough for deer hunting out way past 25 yards.

A word of advice; when you sight your revolver, make sure and never rest the barrel. Always let the frame touch the rest. Sometimes, it will change your POI when you shoot it off hand or in the field from a different rest position.

Now, lets see those off hand groups!
    03 and Dadsnugun like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Great shooting! That's a deadly deer-gitter you have right there!

I need some coaching to shoot from a rest. I've got a mental block about it. Despite not resting on the barrel I've never been able to shoot really decent groups by resting my handguns. That's bad when after all these years one's off hand shooting is better than that from a rest.

Was in the deer woods yesterday with a .30-06 and unlimbered the Smith & Wesson .41 Magnum, sighting it on various objects out to 50 yards from the blind. Was considering possibilities with the revolver. Resting the revolver on a doubled over wool toboggan placed on the window frame felt so good but don't imagine it'd be the most reliable position for me. I'd about decided that resting my fore arms on the window frame would be the best way to take a shot. Took a doe last year with an off hand shot at 25 yards.

As it was, the wind blew a gale here and even the chickadees went into hiding. No deer were seen.
    03 likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

03 [OP]
    Ghost Tracker because, I'm having trouble navigating around in here. Just now learning how to post outside of the newbe thread. Have to try it to see what works...

03 [OP]
    Glockman, the target is a regular sheet of paper, and when I shoot off hand, I hit the paper consistently, but there is no group. The bullets are all over the paper.

The .44 doesn't kick, it hurts. My dad has one with good grips. Nasty gun to shoot. That said, I would have liked to have it in the tree stand last weekend when all my shots were 25 yards or less.

JIm
    03 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links