Drawing while moving - Page 3

Drawing while moving

This is a discussion on Drawing while moving within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bill MO Just some food for thought...situation ....you are within arms reach of the BG who needs to be shot or you ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Drawing while moving

JMB
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    Just some food for thought...situation ....you are within arms reach of the BG who needs to be shot or you die. You have a no-shoot background. DO YOU shoot or die??
    I don't believ it has to be either / or...I'd prefer another means of defense or change to a better angle rather than hit an innocent bystander.

How 'bout you?

W/in arms' reach means sharp, pointy, pokey things may come into play.

dan

I try'ed drawing a picture of a cat while I was moving and it ended up looking like athe wal-mart smiley face guy..

I did'nt read the first post but I do believe everyone should participate in some sort of training like this.(moving)

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    I read thread, watched video and want to know what exactly is the point and what am I suppose to do with it now that you showed me you are good at such a tactic.

Wurd.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    I don't believ it has to be either / or...I'd prefer another means of defense or change to a better angle rather than hit an innocent bystander.

How 'bout you?

This is one reason I carry knifes and train the best I can. But to be truthful I wonder just how many if faced with a life or death situation withing arms reach will see that innocent bystander. Your going to go into tunnel vision and the only thing you see is the weapon that is about to kill you. You will therefore fight as you train to stop the threat. Easy to say I'll do this or that sitting at the keyboard but when you face it, you'll just react to the situation and have little thought applied to it. If you are thinking what, when and how to do it you've lost before you ever got started.

After the fight and if you are still alive then you worry about the what ifs. But while the fight is on my concern is....me, myself and mine. Everyone else is on their own.

Funny seems the same people who say they would not take a shot because they might hit, kill someone else and that action could get them killed. But are unwilling to help someone in a deadly situation because they only get involved in their own fights and they might get killed, and their family matters so much.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

JMB
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    This is one reason I carry knifes and train the best I can. But to be truthful I wonder just how many if faced with a life or death situation withing arms reach will see that innocent bystander. Your going to go into tunnel vision and the only thing you see is the weapon that is about to kill you. You will therefore fight as you train to stop the threat. Easy to say I'll do this or that sitting at the keyboard but when you face it, you'll just react to the situation and have little thought applied to it. If you are thinking what, when and how to do it you've lost before you ever got started.

After the fight and if you are still alive then you worry about the what ifs. But while the fight is on my concern is....me, myself and mine. Everyone else is on their own.

Funny seems the same people who say they would not take a shot because they might hit, kill someone else and that action could get them killed. But are unwilling to help someone in a deadly situation because they only get involved in their own fights and they might get killed, and their family matters so much.
    I believe there is at least one school (Yavapai Firearms Academy) that trains on the issue I described above, but I haven't hard of many. I also believe it might be beneficial for training to include the awareness/decision making under stress to better prepare people for these type circumstances. The video which is the subject of this thread, is about developing techniques to successfully draw and engage a threat which is fine for what it is but I would not say it completes the training one needs. It would be good to move beyond the mechanical skills to the "thinking" skills too right? The question is, how fast can a person be trained to access the situation and choose the best course of action.

To the assumption that everyone will be hindered by tunnel vision...I don't know that to be true, at least I've never heard of anything conclusive.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    I also believe it might be beneficial for training to include the awareness/decision making under stress to better prepare people for these type circumstances.
    It would be good to move beyond the mechanical skills to the "thinking" skills too right?
    Think you will find FOF being about the best training you can find for this. Puts you in a fight for your life without actually putting your life on the line.

The mechanical skills of running the gun need to be where you don't have to think about the hows of make it work. In a fight you need all your thoughts to be on the fight.

To the assumption that everyone will be hindered by tunnel vision...I don't know that to be true, at least I've never heard of anything conclusive.
    FOF will show that the gun hand and the weapon take a lot of hits. Is that a reason of: the gun being in the target area (COM) or is it because its the focus of the the shooter. Shots will go where the eye are focused.

My findings if you don't see it before the fight starts you will not see during. During the fight your focus is all on the BG/Guys or the weapon.

The video which is the subject of this thread, is about developing techniques to successfully draw and engage a threat which is fine for what it is but I would not say it completes the training one needs.
    For me the video does not show anything close to what is needed in movement to help much in a gunfight. But to each his/her own.

Moving straight back from the threat changes nothing other than the distance and you can't out run a bullet coming your way. Yes there are times one does not have the space to move off line much but use what space you do have. If it's a 3 ft hallway use all 3 ft to your advantage.

One step to the side, off line is not enough movement change to make the BG miss enough to keep you from taking hits. Once you start moving don't stop till the fight is over. Learn to make good solid hits on the move (Most can't make their hits or can they hit something moving)
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

I tried this lateral move and shoot yesterday, I managed to get all three rounds in the target but it sure wasn't much of a group!! Gotta work on this some more.

I appreciate the post PhoenixTS. Any training, that causes the shooter to think, move, and shoot is effective when use correctly. So many people train standing in place, shooting paper targets, at known distances, and then think they are ready for real world.

You've answered each question posed, in a way that demonstrates that your training is well thought out, and purposeful.

Good Job Sir.

Be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

I think the thing we need to remember, can best be shown in this acronym... M.O.V.E. - - - Motionless Operators Ventilate Easily

GET OFF THE X !!!!!!!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

i think any tactics that one can practice with his gun only makes him a better shooter. by the way,,,,,,i think "kelcarry" was out of line with his sarcastic comment......mybe he should keep his comments to himself if he doesnt have anything nice to say.......just my opinion.
    virg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links