South Shore Mass: Any good instructors?

This is a discussion on South Shore Mass: Any good instructors? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm thinking about heading out to Springfield to take the S&W Tactial Hangun course. It's a one day basic introduction class - drawing, recovering, learning ...

I'm thinking about heading out to Springfield to take the S&W Tactial Hangun course. It's a one day basic introduction class - drawing, recovering, learning to shoot agaist the clock etc., and is designed to get you ready for more advanced training by making sure you have the basics down.

The thing is that I live on the South Shore (Cohasset) and it's a 2 hour drive out to Springfield (which will feel even longer give that I have a bad back) - I'd love to have an instructor closer to home. But, I don't want to go down on quality (I want more than a basic NRA saftey instuctor cert). I carry a G30 and I'm looking to nail down the basics so I can go on to take some higher level training.

Anyone know anyone good?

Thanks!

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Check out www.neshooters.com for class schedules. Classes are done in the Tyngsboro-Nashua area. You should find the 2006 (plus some 2007) scedules posted there.

Great instructors and classes. They run some classes themselves and they also bring in the top-notch "name" instructors to our area.

You can find reviews of their classes at one of the Training sub-forums on the forum link provided in my sig-line.
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    Check out www.neshooters.com for class schedules. Classes are done in the Tyngsboro-Nashua area. You should find the 2006 (plus some 2007) scedules posted there.

Great instructors and classes. They run some classes themselves and they also bring in the top-notch "name" instructors to our area.

You can find reviews of their classes at one of the Training sub-forums on the forum link provided in my sig-line.
    Thanks Len, I'll check it out. BTW, what do you think of the quality instruction out at S&W?

I've heard good things about S&W Academy, but never been out there. I don't know if they teach "move and shoot" or strictly "static shooting" from a bench. I no longer have any use for "static shooting" as self-defense training, not after attending "move and shoot" classes.

It's just a MUCH longer trip out to Springfield than places like Tyngsboro/Pelham (not to mention the advantage of NH shopping after the class ).

I've taken classes with Jim Crews, Randy Cain and Gabe Suarez . . . all of them superb trainers and all classes were in Tyngsboro.

Jim Conway, who runs NEShooters.com is a personal friend. He just ran a free clinic down in Middleboro (MA) this past Saturday in conjunction with a "Pumpkin Shoot" for paid members of NortheastShooters.com. Reports are that it was excellent. Unfortunately we didn't make it down there as I got a phone call just moments before we were heading out the door telling me that my Sister had passed away.
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    I've heard good things about S&W Academy, but never been out there. I don't know if they teach "move and shoot" or strictly "static shooting" from a bench. I no longer have any use for "static shooting" as self-defense training, not after attending "move and shoot" classes.

It's just a MUCH longer trip out to Springfield than places like Tyngsboro/Pelham (not to mention the advantage of NH shopping after the class ).

I've taken classes with Jim Crews, Randy Cain and Gabe Suarez . . . all of them superb trainers and all classes were in Tyngsboro.

Jim Conway, who runs NEShooters.com is a personal friend. He just ran a free clinic down in Middleboro (MA) this past Saturday in conjunction with a "Pumpkin Shoot" for paid members of NortheastShooters.com. Reports are that it was excellent. Unfortunately we didn't make it down there as I got a phone call just moments before we were heading out the door telling me that my Sister had passed away.
    Len,

Thanks for all the advice and I'm sorry to hear about your Sister.

Thanks.

I've shot with the gang from NEShooters.com many times plus taken courses with them (all of us as students). Very good group of guys.
    NRA Instructor

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    See if these gents can help...

http://www.mlefiaa.org/

Links